DYI Stand Builders
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 01-10-2013, 04:31 PM   #1
nvladik
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

DYI Stand Builders

Interesting read: http://richinscarpentry.com/blog/201...uarium-stands/

Ran into the same problem myself. No matter much time I spend on picking up best 2x4's in the store, acclimating them at home to right temp/humidity, and carefully cutting to make square stock, they still bend and twist.

As soon as the weather gets better I will be re-building the stand for my 125 and will be attempting this method.
NIKON pimp #017
Sump pimp #014
nvladik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 05:50 PM   #2
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

we're renovating our basement. picked up 2x3's to lower the point of contact on the ceiling for drywall. they were straight when we brought them home, next morning... warped and twisted.

construction lumber is very wet, in terms of lumber. some of it will even leave a moist feeling on your skin while moving it. It's just a fact that that stuff bends and warps as it dries.

but, so many folks have used it, and their tanks are still standing and still level.
scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:29 PM   #3
GraphicGr8s
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Are you guys using treated lumber?
Even here in FL I haven't had the problems you're having.
I've got 2 x 3's sitting in my garage right now and sure they've bowed a but but not so bad I can't use them. Or anyone except me would ever notice. The 2 x 3's I used on my racks are in a moist area (my fishroom) and are still fine.

There is a better way than what he's doing. And plywood will warp. Try using a tongue and dado joint. It interlocks the parts and it's square. Always.

For a "professional" carpenter why was he using 2 x 4 construction anyway? And what appear to be drywall screws? Way over driven. What kind of connection is there between the legs and the top frame? Can't tell from the photos.

Last edited by GraphicGr8s; 01-10-2013 at 06:42 PM.. Reason: 123
GraphicGr8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:33 PM   #4
watercage
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

I have my 40B on a 2x4 stand.

I had to scour the pile at home depot to find the best, straightest 2x4s, but it wasnt hard.

My tank is still standing, lol.
watercage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:33 PM   #5
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

no. but 2x3's kinda suck for straight work. the 2x4's that are piled down there waiting to be made into walls are holding up just fine though.

I wouldn't be concerned with a 2x4 for framing out a fish tank stand since most people well over build them.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:44 PM   #6
GraphicGr8s
Planted Tank Guru

Scapegoat, what do you mean you are trying to "lower the point of contact" for your drywall?
Old 01-10-2013, 06:52 PM   #7
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
Scapegoat, what do you mean you are trying to "lower the point of contact" for your drywall?
completely off topic for this forum. but! we're putting a drywall ceiling in our basement. We screwed 2x3's to the floor joists so we could clear some piping for our baseboard heat. I also routed some channels for existing wiring which we'll also toss on some steel plates so we cant screw through it.

much easier than cutting and moving pipe and drilling through the joists.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:00 PM   #8
GraphicGr8s
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
completely off topic for this forum. but! we're putting a drywall ceiling in our basement. We screwed 2x3's to the floor joists so we could clear some piping for our baseboard heat. I also routed some channels for existing wiring which we'll also toss on some steel plates so we cant screw through it.

much easier than cutting and moving pipe and drilling through the joists.
You ever see a thread that really stayed on topic?

As for wood. One thing you all seem to forget is you're never using a full 8' piece of wood. Even though you may have a warp, cup, bow or twist (or a combination of some or all) over the entire piece when it's broken down that will be minimized to a great extent. How many of you builders even bother to crown your studs? You're all looking for straight pieces but every stud has a crown to it.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:14 PM   #9
nvladik
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My current stand is made of 2x4's also... and it is good enough. Personally not a fan of curved angles for the exposed parts, and when I tried to square off 2x4's the bowed a lot. Still learning here... new to woodwork and thought the idea is pretty cool, although it's more work.
NIKON pimp #017
Sump pimp #014
Old 01-10-2013, 07:52 PM   #10
GraphicGr8s
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvladik View Post
My current stand is made of 2x4's also... and it is good enough. Personally not a fan of curved angles for the exposed parts, and when I tried to square off 2x4's the bowed a lot. Still learning here... new to woodwork and thought the idea is pretty cool, although it's more work.
If you're new to wood then stick with tried and true methods. Better to over build. I am into woodworking and I don't think I'd ever use 2 x in a fish stand cabinet. All 3/4" plywood and 1 x material. And almost no screws. Use them more to clamp than structural. I use to be old school on the screws too. regular wood screws with a pilot, shank and countersink. Been using these new (to me) spax screws and liking them. Not brittle like DW screws and without the work of a conventional wood screw.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:58 PM   #11
nvladik
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah I mainly use SPAX screws also and love them so far. You would still go with 3/4 ply and 1x material for 135G tank? That's a lot of weight, no?
NIKON pimp #017
Sump pimp #014
Old 01-10-2013, 08:12 PM   #12
GraphicGr8s
Planted Tank Guru

Without a doubt. Proper joinery, good glue ups. Good design. Structure supporting structure. By 1x I mean 1 x 4 not x2.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:20 PM   #13
NWA-Planted
Planted Tank Guru

Thats surprising treated lumber is bowing that much!

That plywood design is similar to the stand my 125 came with. Always worried me though it was all furniture? Grade plywood (chip board stuff) but all the weight was actually supported on about a 1/4" lip all the way around the inside. It worked because vertical support went all the way around just did not care for the setup.

As to the above mentioned, if your not a regular wood worker or cabinetry person over build and sleep sound!

I am doing my next stand based off diyfishkeepers urajoey style listed on youtube very easy and is a very stout design!!

Sent from a dark corner in my happy place
Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
NWA-Planted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:27 PM   #14
GraphicGr8s
Planted Tank Guru

nvladik are you using PT or spruce?
Old 01-10-2013, 08:31 PM   #15
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

my 75 gallon stand DIY currently being built is 6 2x4's its very simple and absolutely overbuilt. 4 2x4's could easily support more weight

straight is not an issue if its being covered. we hand selected the wood, and immediately drilled, cut, screwed and covered. 6 days later its still straight and level and I AM NOT a woodworker