acclimation write up for those who asked - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Sponsors > Invertebrates by Msjinkzd

Old 01-07-2013, 07:57 PM   #16
VivaDaWolf
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Er
" Immediately upon opening the shipping bag, add a few drops of water conditioner to detoxify the ammonia. Which product is not important, though I use Prime. From this point on it is preference. I prefer to then pour the fish into a net (over the bucket as they are quite jumpy) and add them directly to a dark tank. "

So its... put prime in shipping bag then pour fish into tank WITH that primedshippingwater or ... into totally different tank water altogether after netting (which makes the priming weird to me)?
VivaDaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 09:31 PM   #17
msjinkzd
Rachel O'Leary

PTrader: (204/100%)
Send a message via AIM to msjinkzd

I just use prime to neutralize, then pour everything into a net and add the fish (no shipping water) into the tank. For my applications, i am talking hundreds of fish in a bag, so I try and just get things neutralized asap. You could skip that step if you are just addign them directly to the tank. If you are going to do a drip, you need to neutralize the ammonia before starting it, otherwise you are increasing teh toxicity exponentially as they sit there warming up.
msjinkzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:32 AM   #18
VivaDaWolf
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Basically... just dump the fish in huh?

Does this apply different for fish coming from a pet store or local persons tank? Assuming their params aren't terrible, the fish will be in a bag that isn't super crowded, no heavy co2 or ammonia, similar temps to your own tank-but prolly somewhat different in nitrates, ph, kh etc. Whats your recommendation then? Prime? Drip? Float the bag still and drop in??
VivaDaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:50 AM   #19
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

I have always used the drop and plop method, but yesterday I picked up 11 pea puffers. opened the bag added a bit of Safe (diluted with water) and did drop and plop. I believe I have 5-6 left alive today of the orifinal 11. That sucks. 3 were dead in the first hour!
dprais1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:55 AM   #20
msjinkzd
Rachel O'Leary

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaDaWolf View Post
Basically... just dump the fish in huh?

Does this apply different for fish coming from a pet store or local persons tank? Assuming their params aren't terrible, the fish will be in a bag that isn't super crowded, no heavy co2 or ammonia, similar temps to your own tank-but prolly somewhat different in nitrates, ph, kh etc. Whats your recommendation then? Prime? Drip? Float the bag still and drop in??
I always plop and drop unless I am going to drip acclimate over many hours (which I only do for wild caught sulawesi shrimp).
Old 01-10-2013, 11:56 AM   #21
msjinkzd
Rachel O'Leary

Quote:
Originally Posted by dprais1 View Post
I have always used the drop and plop method, but yesterday I picked up 11 pea puffers. opened the bag added a bit of Safe (diluted with water) and did drop and plop. I believe I have 5-6 left alive today of the orifinal 11. That sucks. 3 were dead in the first hour!
Ouch, sorry to hear that. Were they shipped? From a store?
Puffers are very sensitive. I haven o idea what is in Safe, either.

I plopped and dropped 50 pea puffers just a few weeks ago, didn't lose one.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:59 PM   #22
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

well I think is was a number of issues. first let me say that I have previously kept discus and always did the drop and plop with great results. The same with angels, hatchets, corys etc. I had a LFS order them for me and they kept them in the bag until I picked them up..who knows how long they were actually in the bag. They were small, under .5 inches and I actually suspect several were dead when I got them. None were fat and round like I would want, ideally. I suspect the LFS in their attempt to do the right thing added water to the bag and O2. As of this morning I have one male swimming around biting the eyes off snails, the rest have perished, I removed 3 yesterday and have 4 more corpses to remove this morning, the rest are def. not in the tank. I assume they became food for snails and shrimp. 44.00 for 1 puffer. No more LFS for me!
dprais1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #23
Hmoobthor
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i am interest in trying/doing this for some of my shrimp that i usually order..

some question:

do you do anything special to match the temperature difference....from a cold bag to hot tank and hot bag to cold tanks...versa vice
Eheim Pimp Club #506
Hmoobthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:12 PM   #24
dr3ww3rd
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Wow didn't know I could just drop them in. I might have to start doing this instead of the drip method. Can CRS be put in immediately too?
Old 03-27-2013, 01:31 AM   #25
msjinkzd
Rachel O'Leary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmoobthor View Post
i am interest in trying/doing this for some of my shrimp that i usually order..

some question:

do you do anything special to match the temperature difference....from a cold bag to hot tank and hot bag to cold tanks...versa vice
Nope, as the heat increases, it jams up the metabolism as well- more poo, more darty, more stress. I literally pour them through a net and drop them in the tank. Often they will dart for a second, maybe headstand, then within minutes are colored up and charging around the tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr3ww3rd View Post
Wow didn't know I could just drop them in. I might have to start doing this instead of the drip method. Can CRS be put in immediately too?
I always do. The only thing I don't is sulawesi shrimp which I acclimate over several days.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:05 AM   #26
STG88
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Smile

What about wild caught fish, like chili rasboras, yellow neon rasboras and green neon tetra? Same procedure?
BTW I love your family picture on your website!! 8]
STG88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:15 PM   #27
msjinkzd
Rachel O'Leary

Yup, I treat everything (except Sulawesi shrimp) exactly the same way.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:40 PM   #28
Kudaria
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

Safe is also made by Seachem and is the dry version of Prime. Same ingredients, well except for the distilled water
Kudaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:46 PM   #29
STG88
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Does this help the fish adjust to ph better? For example if the fish is coming from soft water with ph of 6 into an aquarium with ph of 7.6?

Thanks
STG88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:50 PM   #30
msjinkzd
Rachel O'Leary

As a general rule, fish have an easier time going into harder water than into softer water. The reality is unless you are going to do a very prolonged acclimation, you are just stressing the critters by acclimating them over an hour or two.