Peat set up - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 01-09-2013, 08:32 PM   #16
randyl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Hi Jess, I replied your PM, didn't know you were referring to my old post ;-) Check GeToChKn's thread : http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...+treated+water

The tall vase way, I use about just 2 hand full, or make a softball size ball. The tall vase way is doable if you don't have many tanks. Otherwise, check GeToChKn's method or derive your own modified method.

PS: don't use the first few squeeze. it may be too strong.
randyl is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 10:03 AM   #17
pinoyghost2
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

I have a 3ft long planted tank which my plants are growing like crazy in.
My PH in this tank is below 6, can't even test how low because I don't have a meter, just the test kit which doesn't go below 6.

I keep and breed my Taiwans in this tank. Here is how I set it up.

I put a layer of Shult'z Aquasoil on the bottom (this is a clay based soil, I think you can get it in CA as Turface?) on top of this I used a layer of Shultz Peat Moss (its the finer stuff, not chunks like Laguna Peat Moss)...wetted down with a little water to make sure it didn't float. On top I put an additional layer of the Aquasoil enough that the peat moss will not come/show thru. Fill the tank up slowly by pouring water thru the sponge filter so as not to disturb the soil setup.

I becomes a sandwich but it has a great effect on the PH levels and produces great plants. I use RO/Mixed water in this tank and have CO2 on it too, but even in another tank without RO and CO2 the PH is 6 or below.
pinoyghost2 is offline   Reply With Quote