Stocking Help 180 Gallon (Updated) - Page 6
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 12-16-2012, 08:34 AM   #76
Perchance
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
If the fish are sick then you would have to treat the entire tank and possibly damage the biological filter and plants or catch them to place in a hospital tank and probably damage the plants.

If the fish had something really bad and anything they were in has to be sterilized you would lose all your plants and possibly want to replace your substrate and filter media as well.

Find something to use as a quarantine tank!

I've said I have multiple tanks available and cycled media ready. I was asking about the logic behind quarantining fish when they're from a reliable source - a breeder.
I understand the problems associated with the dreaded mycobacterium and other PITA bacteria which can survive ridiculous conditions, and how people have had to tear down their tanks. But that wasn't what I was wondering about.
Perchance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2012, 08:38 AM   #77
Perchance
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
Yea lol I meant Quarantine. It is much cheaper to medicate a 10 gal. tank than a 180g tank. There are several bacterial infections that can happen that are EXTREMELY hard to treat to the point people just tear down the tank and start from scratch. Quarantining fish is one way to avoid such bacteria. and if it does crop up, sterilizing a 10g is cheaper and quicker than a 180g.

Some fish will shed the virus/bacteria into the water column, so even if you pull the initially sick fish out of the tank, you will still have to do a treatment on the entire 180.

The Q-tank does not have to be elaborate, a simple bare bottom 10g with a cheap light fixture and filter.
Haha I thought so Yeah no doubt. I've got a 2ft QT up and running atm, I'm just 'feeding' it to keep it running. Yeah I did a bi of reading on the Rainbow fish sites and found a lot about this kind of thing.

I have a 15allon set up, and 30 gallon available, another about 25 gallons or so, and then a 4 ft tank also spare.. How many fish would you comfortably quarantine at one time in the 15 gallon? I like using this one as it's so easy to do water changes and it's so simple to dose, but I don't want to overstock it and thus induce problems with the fish due to bad quality water in the QT.

Thanks again! Much appreciate the opinions
Old 12-16-2012, 08:58 AM   #78
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perchance View Post
Haha I thought so Yeah no doubt. I've got a 2ft QT up and running atm, I'm just 'feeding' it to keep it running. Yeah I did a bi of reading on the Rainbow fish sites and found a lot about this kind of thing.

I have a 15allon set up, and 30 gallon available, another about 25 gallons or so, and then a 4 ft tank also spare.. How many fish would you comfortably quarantine at one time in the 15 gallon? I like using this one as it's so easy to do water changes and it's so simple to dose, but I don't want to overstock it and thus induce problems with the fish due to bad quality water in the QT.

Thanks again! Much appreciate the opinions
I would do no more than a half dozen at a time in the Q-tank.

I also noticed you mentioned the dreaded MB. (myco bacteria) As long as you are getting the fish from a reliable breeder you have little to fear from it. It is a nasty thing, especially for rainbows which seem to be more susceptible to it. It is however something that can be beat without tearing down the tank, Diana Walstead happened to do just this, and made it a research paper easily found around. This bacteria will exist in every tank no matter what you do. The problem comes in when it manages to out compete other bacteria, and throws the biological balance out of whack. It can then infect fish, and is hard to stop at that point. She found that it does not compete well with other bacteria, it is slow growing and just about every other bacteria is very fast growing. The trick to fighting it seems to be putting the tank back in balance by keeping the tank a little more dirty, running a UV sterilizer to beat down water born bacteria and being aggressive in culling infected fish. After reading her research paper I am less afraid of it than I had been before.

I quarentine for 30 days even if it is a trusted breeder / store. There is so much out there even out of their control that it leaves a sense of safety.
Noahma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 09:23 AM   #79
Perchance
Algae Grower

That's a relief. I feel like there must be a lot of paranoia about this specific bacteria and a lot of people rotate tanks and disinfect regularly.. I can't fathom doing that.

I actually read (most of) her research paper! Haha I adore her. It was what motivated me to buy the canister filter I have as it has UV. Though it would be a good preventative measure. I know a lot of people a conflicted on using UV, as it can be ineffective if there isn't enough contact time and can kill any good bacteria it come into contact with also, but I feel as if it's worth it.

Alright then, I probably will quarantine then. Even if they sit there for a month with not problems, I'll kick myself if I don't and something happens..
Old 12-17-2012, 03:35 AM   #80
cpwebsite
Algae Grower

Quote:
I thought a large school of diamond tetras would be nice.. But I'm not sure what constitutes a 'large' enough number hahah 24? 35? I had looked at the balloon lamp eye tetras after seeing your posts, but they seem to require the lower temperature waters.

What are some higher temperature tetras which school really well?

I'll go have a look at your video now, thanks!

Good to know the Kribs were ok in your tank, would it be safer to just have one? Or would that just be sad for the fish?
Depending on what else you want you could easily keep 50-100 since they only get to 2.5" if you focus on your water changes but you couldn't keep much else.

Cardinal tetras work too for schooling in larger tanks and you could easily keep 100+
cpwebsite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 03:43 AM   #81
Neatfish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

5/6 Discus, 100 neon tetras or Cardinal tetras?
Old 12-17-2012, 06:13 AM   #82
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
That's a relief. I feel like there must be a lot of paranoia about this specific bacteria and a lot of people rotate tanks and disinfect regularly.. I can't fathom doing that.

I actually read (most of) her research paper! Haha I adore her. It was what motivated me to buy the canister filter I have as it has UV. Though it would be a good preventative measure. I know a lot of people a conflicted on using UV, as it can be ineffective if there isn't enough contact time and can kill any good bacteria it come into contact with also, but I feel as if it's worth it.

Alright then, I probably will quarantine then. Even if they sit there for a month with not problems, I'll kick myself if I don't and something happens..
My first experience in fish keeping ended with me wiping out my 10g of pretty little tetras because I did not Q-tank a fresh batch, was a sobering learning experience to me.

I am now debating for my 40B either going with M.Nigrans or M.pygmaea Decisions Decisions.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:21 AM   #83
Perchance
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
My first experience in fish keeping ended with me wiping out my 10g of pretty little tetras because I did not Q-tank a fresh batch, was a sobering learning experience to me.

I am now debating for my 40B either going with M.Nigrans or M.pygmaea Decisions Decisions.

That would've been a harsh introduction.. I mean i just came back to freshwater after a few years with marine and I lost the majority of he Rosboras I bought. Some kind of bacterial infection. They went from fine, schooling healthy and eating well to ratty fins and red patches in just a few hours. Poor little guys. It sucks to loose fish when you know how they rely on you so much and you can't help/

I love the M. Nigrans, they're colors are gorgeous. The ones from Goerge Creek, I think have the nicest fins. Are you thinking of breeding them in a species specific tank?
Old 12-17-2012, 11:26 AM   #84
Perchance
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpwebsite View Post
Depending on what else you want you could easily keep 50-100 since they only get to 2.5" if you focus on your water changes but you couldn't keep much else.

Cardinal tetras work too for schooling in larger tanks and you could easily keep 100+

I originally wanted this; I large shoaling school and little fish that would look lovely in this large tank. Maybe another project, though... I've kind of fallen in love with the idea of rainbowfish, I think. But thanks for those numbers - I think a school of 70 odd diamond or lemon tetras would be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neatfish View Post
5/6 Discus, 100 neon tetras or Cardinal tetras?

I decided to stay away from discus.. Even though the temp they needed was ok, I'd have to lower my pH and I wasn't looking for something that would need anything more than weekly water changes... It would be a stunning display tank, though.

Also, for some reason when I tested my water today, I got a reading of 0.25ppm for Nitrites.. Why on earth would they pop up like that? Ammonia and nitrates are still reading 0, and nitrites were 0 two days ago, when I last tested it.. I will do a large water change tomorrow =/ would 40% suffice?
Old 12-22-2012, 04:18 AM   #85
Perchance
Algae Grower

Random questions as well haha I have that tall anbias that grows leaves to the top of the tank, some native Aus lillies and also a native rainbow nardoo (Marsilea mutica) on one side of my tank... I want some nice dense plants to place around the bottom of these plants that can deal with being shaded a little... I have way too much like on this tank.. 8 x 80watt t5s. So they still have plenty of light, but just are a bit shaded.. I still want them to grow densely though. Parrots Feather was suggested but it's considered a noxious weed here.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:07 PM   #86
Perchance
Algae Grower

I thought I'd give you guys an update... I lost all the rosboras =/ I took them out of the main tank and put them in the hospital tank which I was medicating. They would look fine, then suddenly very lethargic and unable to stay upright before dying within an hour.

I ordered some rainbows and quarantined them for (not as long as a should have but - all was ok and I dosed with some preventative medications anyways.) They were in a QT for 10 days or so. But they seemed healthy and too cramped in the QT so I put them in the main tank... Impatient. Idk. They are healthy and that's all that matters to me, but I deserve the reprimand for doing it. Regardless, the next order of fish I make will go through 1 month of QT as there would be too much of a risk with so many fish already in the main tank

I was also adding plants to the main tank through their QT so the tank looks really different from the last picture. I also have another order of plants coming next week with some more of the Native Val I love, some hopefully ground covering Hansen's Nardoo for the left corner and some Copper Leaf bunched which I forget the scientific name of.

For comparative purposes, here is a photo of the tank taken today. The tank is a little murky as one piece of driftwood seems to be still leeching tannins into the water (i think...) anyway, water change scheduled for today (:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7674.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	60777  

Name:	IMG_7669.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	60785  

Name:	IMG_7655.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	60793  

Old 01-04-2013, 05:06 AM   #87
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Lookin good.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #88
Perchance
Algae Grower

Thanks.. I should probably do a journal thread but I don't think my tank really warrants it. I'm seeing the beginnings of a PITA algae problem. It's A kind of green fuzzy hair algae covering way too many leaves now. Especially on the sword.

I've decreased the 'Midday' light period by an hour. It's not on for 6 hours and I though 5 would be better. By other lights which is just 2 bulbs (one blue one purple) are on for a couple hours either side of that.

I dose liquid fertilizer and liquid carbon which I'm wondering if I should cut back or not?

What lighting period would you recommend, also? I have an 8 bulb t5 fixture with separate controls for 2 bulbs and the other 6.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:00 AM   #89
Perchance
Algae Grower

Anyone? Is it too little light if I have a blue and red bulb on from 12pm till 12am and then a midday burst 4 hours long with 4 dayblulbs and 2 blue bulbs from 2 pm till 6pm? My red ludwigia (I think it is, the leaves are not as circular as most pictures,) and my Aponogeton Crispus aren't doing that well. Slow growth in the former, almost translucent leaves in the latter. I think maybe this is an iron deficiancy? But someone also suggested that too little light can lead to the larger gaps between leaves which I'm seeing in the ludwigia.

Yet at the same time, I'm having an algae problem and thus want to cut down the lighting?
Old 01-10-2013, 03:14 PM   #90
farrenator
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)

You have a 12 hour photoperiod with a 4 hour midday blast? That sounds like too much light to me. I would cut back the hours and raise the lights.

For reference, on my 75 gallon I have an 8 hour photoperiod with 2 t5HO. My mid day blast is 4 t5HO for 3 hours. The lights sit about 30" above the substrate and I still get some BBA (I also dose CO2). I am considering raising the lights even more. Plant growth is still great.
farrenator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
180 gallon, community, planted tank, stocking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.