My first terrarium (18x18x18 millipede tank)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-10-2013, 02:09 AM   #1
Cavedweller
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default My first terrarium (18x18x18 millipede tank)

I haven't done anything like this before and I'm pretty nervous. Any advice would be appreciated

Forgive the shaky cellphone photo. I'll get better photos once I can borrow a camera. (The tank doesn't look quite as butt-ugly in person, and will hopefully improve as the plants grow)

It is currently occupied by 4 sexed pairs of Florida ivory millipedes (Chicobolus spinigerus) and 1 male glossy black pinkleg millipede (Dendrostreptus macracanthus).
Here is my very handsome pinkleg.

Hopefully the Florida ivories will breed sometime this year. I'm really hoping I can find some mates for the pinkleg someday, but it's a kinda hard species to find.

The temp is 70-75, with a 75 watt heatlamp that casts an ugly as sin red glow on everything. Fortunately I'll only have to use it a few months out of the year cause I live in Texas. I'm trying to keep the humidity in the 70-80% range, but it's a bit difficult with as much ventilation as I have. Hopefully the plants will help. I've got about 4 inches of ABG mix over a drainage layer of hydroton as substrate, with leaf litter on top of that. Lots of cork bark for the pinkleg to climb.

The plants just arrived today, and I really should have given them some time to take root, but I wanted to get the bugs into their tank right away, since the arboreal pinkleg kept trying to escape their temporary tank. I'm hoping it won't be too much of a problem since the pedes don't jump around like frogs.

I've got 3 baby tears, 2 creeping fig, and some sheet moss in there. The moss arrived looking a bit worse for the wear, but I'm hoping it will perk up. Also pretty sure I saw an ant after I put the plants in (they came from Josh's Frogs). I hope a single ant won't be too problematic.

The pinkleg and one of the florida ivories have been exploring, but the other ivories haven't come out of hiding yet.
Cavedweller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
millipedes, terrarium