54G Planted Tank Project (With Pictures) - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-03-2013, 08:27 PM   #16
2Shi
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I'm torn between Models 2 and 3

Model 2 covers up a lot of my equipment in the back which is nice.

Model 3 uses the full depth of the aquarium because the large rock hugs along the back end so I feel it will add more perspective once planted :x

Right now, the choice of which one is better seems split like it is for me as well :O

Any more comments/suggestions? I'm going to play around with the layout some more tonight ^_^
2Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 01:07 PM   #17
2Shi
Algae Grower

Alright I tried a different layout by scratching the super large rock. I want to make my tank look bigger than it actually is so I want to stock all small fish. Will using smaller rocks also help make the tank look larger?

Model 4-A

Model 4-B

Model 4-C

Last edited by 2Shi; 01-04-2013 at 01:31 PM.. Reason: Made pics smaller
Old 01-04-2013, 03:01 PM   #18
2Shi
Algae Grower

Well... due to some unfortunate circumstances, my shipment of plants has been delayed until sometime next week. At least this gives me more time to play around with the hardscape...

There's already tons of pictures of different hardscapes that I tried. I suppose you would all be bored if I keep posting more up. I'll limit the amount of pictures I post until I get my plant order in.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:52 PM   #19
2Shi
Algae Grower

Alright this is my weekend update. My wife likes this layout because it puts emphasis on her "special" rock (the one in the middle). I think the layout is pretty good as well so we'll probably go with this as long as there's nothing fundamentally wrong with the scape.

Model 5-A

Model 5-B

Model 5-C
Old 01-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #20
2Shi
Algae Grower

Haven't posted an update in a while. Figured I'd give an update of what's been going on.

My tank is still cycling but it is now capable of getting rid of 3-4ppm of ammonia within 24 hours. I'm now stuck at a phase where my Nitrites are always off the charts (above 5ppm). I assume if I leave my tank in this condition and keep adding ammonia on a daily basis, bacteria will develop that converts nitrites into nitrates. Is this correct? How long does this period normally take?
Old 01-09-2013, 06:29 PM   #21
2Shi
Algae Grower

Anybody able to answer question about cycling in my last post?
Old 01-09-2013, 06:46 PM   #22
Dave-H
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Takes a few weeks, I think. Adding plants early on seems to help get things going.

"The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods." Socrates

Dave-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #23
2Shi
Algae Grower

Can't wait for my plants to come in on Friday XD Last weeks shipment didn't work out but this one seems to be on schedule thus far

Changed up my plant order from last time as well -- Going with some:
Dwarf hairgrass
Java Moss
Micro Swords
Jungle Vals

Not a large variety and nothing big and bushy. I'm hoping to create a more elegant look rather than the lush heavily planted feel. I figure I can always add more plants in the future if I desire Better than over-planting and having to kill stuff off.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:13 PM   #24
2Shi
Algae Grower

Plants are in! Take a look!

Model 6-A

Model 6-B

Model 6-C
Old 01-14-2013, 02:24 PM   #25
2Shi
Algae Grower

I'd still like to know what the general opinion is on the plants that I've added to the tank.

How does the aquascape look? This is my first aquascape so some of you more experienced people out there may have some better ideas.

Is 48W of T5HO lighting strong enough to grow dwarf hairgrass and micro swords?

Also, I took the airstone and moved it closer to the surface and to the right side of the tank. It can no longer be seen because it's so close to the surface and it provides just a little surface agitation to create some oxygen. Will this interfere with my CO2 levels?

I replaced the clear air tube (which turned white because of the CO2 or something) with a dark blue tube. Looks much better. I'll post pics when I have the opportunity!
Old 01-14-2013, 02:35 PM   #26
Shimagoma
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Shimagoma Send a message via Skype™ to Shimagoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Shi View Post
I'd still like to know what the general opinion is on the plants that I've added to the tank.

How does the aquascape look? This is my first aquascape so some of you more experienced people out there may have some better ideas.

Is 48W of T5HO lighting strong enough to grow dwarf hairgrass and micro swords?

Also, I took the airstone and moved it closer to the surface and to the right side of the tank. It can no longer be seen because it's so close to the surface and it provides just a little surface agitation to create some oxygen. Will this interfere with my CO2 levels?

I replaced the clear air tube (which turned white because of the CO2 or something) with a dark blue tube. Looks much better. I'll post pics when I have the opportunity!
Hey! Looks good so far! i dont know if the stone in the very very middle is placed right? Or if you need it at all! I like the idea of the side stones creating a theater like look! maybe changing the height of the gravel might reinforce that or even planting up the side walls a little bit more. Im a huge fan of wisteria :P so ill always talk that plant up! and it fills HUGE spaces and fast hehe
Shimagoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:35 PM   #27
2Shi
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimagoma View Post
Hey! Looks good so far! i dont know if the stone in the very very middle is placed right? Or if you need it at all! I like the idea of the side stones creating a theater like look! maybe changing the height of the gravel might reinforce that or even planting up the side walls a little bit more. Im a huge fan of wisteria :P so ill always talk that plant up! and it fills HUGE spaces and fast hehe
The middle stone is only there because my wife wanted me to use that stone in some way. I don't think it looks very good and it doesn't match the other stones but it's her "lucky stone". I guess we can't always get exactly what we want T.T

I haven't played around with the gravel height too much. I'm afraid that moving the gravel around will accidentally expose the potting soil and cause a huge mess. I'm also a little wary about playing with gravel height because I feel it will flatten out after I siphon it a few times. I saw some videos on youtube of people that place plastic borders into the gravel to retain it's shape but I don't have any dividers and I'm afraid that it will restrict the growth of my dwarf hairgrass roots.

Wisteria, hmm.... I'll do my homework. I really do need something to fill up that left-hand-side where the CO2 diffuser is :O

Last edited by 2Shi; 01-14-2013 at 03:36 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 01-14-2013, 03:38 PM   #28
Conrad283
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Looks good for the first attempt
Conrad283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:41 PM   #29
2Shi
Algae Grower

Did a quick look-up of wisteria. It looks like it grows really tall.

You can't really see it in the picture but the area above the CO2 diffuser has a strong downward current caused by my sumps output back into the tank. I purposely created that flow so that the CO2 bubbles from the diffuser will be pushed back downwards before reaching the surface of the water.

Wisteria is a tall plant and will get blown sideways from the amount of current in that area. I need to plant that area up with some short midground plants.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:07 PM   #30
2Shi
Algae Grower

Just came back from vacation.

My jungle vals seem to have completely melted while I was gone. I'm thinking of cutting them really short (about 2 inches) in hopes that the plant will stop wasting nutrients on the melted leaves and form new ones instead. Is that a good idea? I heard some plants will melt when their tank is changed but regrow well based on the new water parameters. Is this fact or myth?

Last edited by 2Shi; 01-20-2013 at 10:07 PM.. Reason: typo