Streamin's 100 Gallon low-tech corner tank - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-09-2013, 01:51 AM   #16
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (403/100%)

There is one fish that is truly shrimp-safe: Oto. Beyond that, they all eat shrimplets. Some will also torture adults to (literal) death, will eat them when they molt, etc.

That's why it's always best to go with the smallest fish possible when you plan to have a focus on shrimp. Fish like Boraras brigittae work well. They're often smaller than adult Neo shrimp.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 02:49 AM   #17
Airstreamin
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
There is one fish that is truly shrimp-safe: Oto. Beyond that, they all eat shrimplets. Some will also torture adults to (literal) death, will eat them when they molt, etc.

That's why it's always best to go with the smallest fish possible when you plan to have a focus on shrimp. Fish like Boraras brigittae work well. They're often smaller than adult Neo shrimp.
Gotcha. The focus of the tank will be the fish, the shrimp are just added eye candy. I'm not really interested in trying to breed them in any way (saving that for the 20 gallon sitting in my garage after I get this 100 gal up and running), I mean if they do, great, but it's not a big thing for me. Would it make more sense to go with something like the Bamboo shrimp as opposed to the RCS? I debated doing a lobster or two instead of any shrimp but figured the fish on my list wouldn't last long against them.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:41 AM   #18
mitchfish9
Planted Tank Nation

PTrader: (3/100%)

I agree that the rcs should be saved for a smaller tank so they can have their own colony and won't be stressed and all that. But if you are doing all these small fish, then amanos would be perfect! Don't know anything about bamboo shrimp though...
mitchfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #19
Airstreamin
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchfish9 View Post
I agree that the rcs should be saved for a smaller tank so they can have their own colony and won't be stressed and all that. But if you are doing all these small fish, then amanos would be perfect! Don't know anything about bamboo shrimp though...
Great, thanks for the input! Looks like RCS are out and Amano are in (possibly bamboos, need to do some more research on them) for the 100 gal. How many you think would be sufficient? I see they're about 2" full grown so I was thinking about 10 - 15 should do.

So here's my current revised list (not the 100% "end goal"):

10x Dwarf Corys (Thanks for the input Betta Maniac!)
20x Neon Tetras
15x Rummynose Tetras
15x Ember Tetras
10 - 15 Amano Shrimp

I'm still debating on the 15x Harlequin Rasbora's, thinking I may swap them out for 10x Swordtails (2 males 8 females).
Old 01-09-2013, 05:46 PM   #20
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (403/100%)

Bamboo Shrimp are filter feeders, so they do best in well-established tanks. Probably not a good idea for your tank for a while.

Stick to Amanos until you're sure you want to try something else.

Or, if your tank is heavily planted, you may consider a few Dwarf CPOs for a splash of orange color. You probably couldn't keep them with shrimp, though. (CPOs can be a hazard for slow fish and snails.)
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 07:57 PM   #21
dreamchick
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

That looks like it will be a fun tank. Remember to post a pic once it is done.
dreamchick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 08:48 PM   #22
farrenator
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)

I have a tank with Cardinals, Rummynose, Congo Tetras and RCS. The shrimp are fine although I have a lot of plants as well. The only time the fish pay attention to them is if they are swimming in the open water. Other than that, when they are on plants not really moving around the fish don't even notice them.

With the fish you are getting, if you want RCS, get them. Once they are established they breed like cockroaches anyway which will probably more than offset any predation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstreamin View Post
Great, thanks for the input! Looks like RCS are out and Amano are in (possibly bamboos, need to do some more research on them) for the 100 gal. How many you think would be sufficient? I see they're about 2" full grown so I was thinking about 10 - 15 should do.

So here's my current revised list (not the 100% "end goal"):

10x Dwarf Corys (Thanks for the input Betta Maniac!)
20x Neon Tetras
15x Rummynose Tetras
15x Ember Tetras
10 - 15 Amano Shrimp

I'm still debating on the 15x Harlequin Rasbora's, thinking I may swap them out for 10x Swordtails (2 males 8 females).
farrenator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.