College help? Need ideas! *Calling all plant-heads* - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 01-08-2013, 11:37 PM   #16
Betta Maniac
Wanabe BKK Herder

PTrader: (17/100%)

I'm clearly from the other school of thinking about college. Be open to new experiences, new interests, and don't tie yourself to a major before you've had a chance to figure out what speaks to you. I went in a declared biology major … and came out with a philosophy degree (double major in history, minor in creative writing).

And before the smartasses attack, yes, I make a enough money to own a house in the Bay Area and have never had a problem finding a job (because being able to think and communicate coherently are valuable skills).

Old 01-08-2013, 11:50 PM   #17
Aquaticz
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

No question....apply to UC DAVIS
they offer the best program, better than Berkley
My son went there. 5 year accredited program
Also ranks as seventh t college in the world

Volleyball - nice game but do not let that rule....you may not get to your destination :-).
Best of luck and smart to ask

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Aquaticz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 11:54 PM   #18
Jeffww
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

A&M down here in Texas is a good school for agribusiness and horticulture in general. I'm a biochem major at UT austin right now. Honestly, from my experience with the application process, apply to as many schools as you have time for and try easy majors like biology or chem. When you're at an institution, changing departments and majors is really easy if you have good grades. It's a matter of making a phone call or two and printing some forms.

Also grades aren't everything...seriously, I had a literal perfect gpa and no one gave a rat's ***. It's all about your extra-curricular activities. Sports are great for your resume, just not for a long term career.

Also if you're a photog, send your portfolio! Your work history also will set you wayyyy above your peers in terms of enrollability.

I would personally do something bio or biochem related for your interests. I still haven't decided whether I'm going to big pharma, big agra, food sci, petrol or med school yet. That's what great with bio programs, there's a lot of leeway.

Also check to see if your school has student undergrad research programs for botany and stuff. Next semester I'll be working in a lab collecting native endophytic fungi for course credit.
Jeffww is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 04:40 AM   #19
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

Thanks for more input guys!

I have been looking around more and seeing whats available. And looking at things and talking to people, it looks like it will be hard (but not impossible!) to go for horticulture and have a well paying job and be able to pay off the inevitable debt that would accompany a 4 year college.

I just found this, and may give it some serious thought. http://www.longwoodgardens.org/Profe...1_3_4_3_2.html or maybe it would be something to do after I graduate, IDK just more stuff to look into at this point.

Another two things I have decided I might like are advertising (more to the art side of it) and maybe physical therapy ( I know it would be a lot more school, but still something to consider) . Still keeping my options and mind open then! Just basically food for thought at this point.
orchidman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 05:31 AM   #20
Jeffww
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

If you're into orchids and what not take up some horticulture as your elective credit dude. Also most pro orchid growers don't use conventional gardening techniques. Mostly plant tissue culture.
Jeffww is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 05:37 AM   #21
Bahugo
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidman View Post
Thanks for more input guys!

I have been looking around more and seeing whats available. And looking at things and talking to people, it looks like it will be hard (but not impossible!) to go for horticulture and have a well paying job and be able to pay off the inevitable debt that would accompany a 4 year college.

I just found this, and may give it some serious thought. http://www.longwoodgardens.org/Profe...1_3_4_3_2.html or maybe it would be something to do after I graduate, IDK just more stuff to look into at this point.

Another two things I have decided I might like are advertising (more to the art side of it) and maybe physical therapy ( I know it would be a lot more school, but still something to consider) . Still keeping my options and mind open then! Just basically food for thought at this point.
You could look into the longwood gardens programs for high school students
http://www.longwoodgardens.org/teenv...erprogram.html
http://www.longwoodgardens.org/Co-OpProgram.html

All the people I know who have done physical therapy love it, and the money is great. It's competitive to get into the programs though so when you start college make sure you keep your grades up. Regardless of what you do in college keep your grades up, A's are relatively easy if you do what is expected of you.
Fraternity of dirt #8
Bahugo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 05:39 AM   #22
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffww View Post
If you're into orchids and what not take up some horticulture as your elective credit dude. Also most pro orchid growers don't use conventional gardening techniques. Mostly plant tissue culture.
That's only semi-true. Orchids can be tissue cultured, and they are cloned that way by the thousands over seas in Taiwan. Most US nurseries get in stock plants that were originally cloned from Taiwan and eventually made their way through other importers to the Nursery. However what I am interested in is breeding them and creating new hybrids. I have pretty much given up the idea of owning an orchid nursery, at least not for a main career. What I would be interested in is working somewhere like Longwood Gardens or the Arboretum and managing a collection or being a designer and gardener there. (Orchids aren't the only plants I like, just my favorites)

And there is really nothing to say that if its not my main career, I can't grow orchids for my own pleasure! And I can breed them just the same, maybe sell some on the side.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:45 AM   #23
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahugo View Post
You could look into the longwood gardens programs for high school students
http://www.longwoodgardens.org/teenv...erprogram.html
http://www.longwoodgardens.org/Co-OpProgram.html

All the people I know who have done physical therapy love it, and the money is great. It's competitive to get into the programs though so when you start college make sure you keep your grades up. Regardless of what you do in college keep your grades up, A's are relatively easy if you do what is expected of you.
Yeah I have looked into those! The one I originally link wouldn't be until after I graduate and it would basically (if I'm reading the website correctly) be in place of a horticulture degree and possibly have more prestige, if I wanted to work in that specific niche field, like managing a collection/section at Longwood or similar places..

I also am looking at this for the future.

http://www.longwoodgardens.org/Inter...ipProgram.html

As far at PT goes, I think I would really enjoy it. I have spent a considerable mount of time in the PT office in the past and especially this past year (shin splints, bad ankle sprain, torn ligaments in my back.) And my physical therapist is a great guy and it seems like something I would enjoy. And being there, I got to see how he interacts with other clients and it's really awesome!
Old 01-09-2013, 05:51 AM   #24
Bahugo
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)

I know this might seem out of left field, but have you ever considered high school teaching? You could take a biology degree in secondary education and just take as many horticulture classes as possible. You would be able to coach volleyball, have time during the summer to tend to orchards or mini garden and be able to teach kids about orchards/plants by incorporating it into your curriculum. There is a huge need for science teachers.
Fraternity of dirt #8
Bahugo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 05:59 AM   #25
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahugo View Post
I know this might seem out of left field, but have you ever considered high school teaching? You could take a biology degree in secondary education and just take as many horticulture classes as possible. You would be able to coach volleyball, have time during the summer to tend to orchards or mini garden and be able to teach kids about orchards/plants by incorporating it into your curriculum. There is a huge need for science teachers.
I haven't really thought of it. Might be a possibility actually! I have thought about going to grad school and becoming a professor. (my mom actually said she could picture that, without me even mentioning it) but teaching at a highschool might be possible! Maybe I could yeah horticulture! My best friends mom actually teaches Hort at a local highschool.

And coaching at a highschool level would be great. And if I could after a while, coaching at a college would be awesome! I know a guy who is an assistant coach at psu and he didn't play NCAA in college he only played club. But he is a great coach.

One thing I have decided is that I want to work with people, I'm a real people person!
Old 01-09-2013, 06:02 AM   #26
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

This is all obviously in the future and I'll decide for sure later on. I can take gen Ed's now and not have to really decide yet.

As far as volleyball, I would still really like to play! Even if it ends up being a club team, I want to play. Not because I want It to be my career, because its what I'm passionate about. It's what I love! I have played for 7 years and it would be torture for me to NOT be able to play in college!
Old 01-09-2013, 06:10 AM   #27
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (14/100%)

I'm a college student who works a few professional and semi pro jobs in my field already. I can say from experience:

You can never go wrong taking a law class, a writing class, a journalism class, a psych class and a philosophy class.

If your school doesn't assign your first semester to you automatically (Most do) then that is a semester right there.

An adviser who specializes in undecided students will be assigned to you, and he can help you figure it all out after you get a feel for life.

Most college students switch majors once, most people switch careers three times. You're smart, so you'll make it.

Best of luck,
Mark
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 06:12 AM   #28
MABJ
Invert Warrior

Also.. Shameless pitch.. Check out St. Bonaventure University!

Great scientific school, top five journalism school, brand new business school (building is new, not the program) and a really nice education program.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:21 AM   #29
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABJ View Post
Also.. Shameless pitch.. Check out St. Bonaventure University!

Great scientific school, top five journalism school, brand new business school (building is new, not the program) and a really nice education program.
Pitch away!! I'll look into it! Thanks
Old 01-09-2013, 06:51 AM   #30
MABJ
Invert Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidman View Post
Pitch away!! I'll look into it! Thanks
I'm sure it isn't obvious I go here or anything :P.

But really. Prettiest school you'll ever see. They pride themselves In the front office with the "Biggest front yard in the nation.." But that's the biggest thing about us lol. 2000 students roughly undergrad. Average class size of like 18.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.