Vivarium/Terrium - 150 Gallon
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 02-20-2004, 07:31 PM   #1
lokobreed
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to lokobreed

My aunt gave me a 150 gallon tank with stand and everything to use as a saltwater fish tank, but it had to many scratches and I was oging to just throw it away, but instead of throwing it away I decided I was going to use it and try and make my own Vivarium.

I currently have 1 turtle that is no bigger than 6 inches and 1 anole and 2 frogs (that my brother found) and so far no problem with them... They are currently in about a 40 gallon tank.

The 150 gallon tank is wide and long, I want to make it planted with substrate all around then water in the center but with ground on the right and left side so they can still cross to the other side, and just water in the center.
I want it to have like a slpoe to go down into the water on two sides, but I want the water to be somewhat deep so I can have like 2 or 3 goldfish in there and also a swimming turtle...

How deep would you recommend thw water to be? and any ideas or sites to look at the show how
lokobreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2004, 06:21 PM   #2
skylsdale
Planted Member

You said "vivarium"...which implies more of a humid rainforest type setup with little to no water. Are you thinking more of a "paludarium," which is about equal parts water and land?
Old 02-22-2004, 04:15 AM   #3
lokobreed
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to lokobreed

I looked at a few paludariums and they looked like it was mostly water with it filled halfway up of water...

I guess what I want to do is have it more of a rainforest type atmosphere or jungle but with also a lake type in the middle, aboue 10 inches deep and circular where goldfish will be in newts can crwal in (or whatevr type atmospher I make...

But I want an atmosphere wheere I can have like mudskippers frogs lizards turtle (since mine is very very small now) but I am wonering if my anole would fit in the same enviroment as a newt and stuff, but basically i need help on constructing such a thing
lokobreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 05:29 PM   #4
nimmie
Algae Grower

First of all, congrats on your new tank and your newfound interest in paludariums!!
Quote:
I guess what I want to do is have it more of a rainforest type atmosphere or jungle but with also a lake type in the middle, aboue 10 inches deep and circular where goldfish will be in newts can crwal in (or whatevr type atmospher I make...

But I want an atmosphere wheere I can have like mudskippers frogs lizards turtle (since mine is very very small now) but I am wonering if my anole would fit in the same enviroment as a newt and stuff, but basically i need help on constructing such a thing
Well, my two cents are: one, mudskippers are brackish water and prefer a 3-4 foot (or MORE) long tank, and while I don't know how long your 150 gallon is, I don't think it would be that long (correct me if I'm wrong). Also, mudskippers prefer a mud flat or mangrove swamp environment, and probably wouldn't handle a jungle setting.
Some info on mudskippers: http://members.ozemail.com.au/~thebobo/mudaqu.htm
Also, the salt in the water that is needed by mudskippers would kill a lot of plants, and while very hardy, goldfish really aren't brackish water fish.
Which brings me to another point:
goldfish get very big (half a foot for some varieties, more for others-believe me, I know this) and are very messy fish, needing at least 10 gallons swimming space each, and also many fancy varieties havevery delicate bubbles or other sorts of deformities that could cause them to be badly injured on a sharp object, like a stick, or something. A very good filter is also required for goldfish.
So, I would suggest a betta or some tetras for your setup. However, that brings us to your turtle. What species is it? Look it up on the web or post a pic of it here in the forums if you don't know what kind it is. It could, however, be the sort that tends to go for small fish, so if it is, I suggest leaving out the fish and having some newts instead. Also you might research how big your turtle will get. (I also have an aquatic turtle-- they rock it's about the size of a quarter, very cute--red eared slider, trachemys scripta elegans) This will impact the size the pond will be.
Now, for your lizards--I'm no expert here, I admit--the fish probably won't be bothered as long as the lizards are well fed. You'll want a basking light for them as well as some plant cover I imagine, perhaps some driftwood for them to climb on... so that pretty much takes care of the jungle...(hey, why not ask Zurp to draw up one of his illustrations for you? )
And one last thing--I would use dividers if I were you, sealed with aquarium epoxy, to separate land from pond...otherwise your soil'll be too wet and your plants might rot.
Sorry for the long post!!
~~Nimmie [/url]
Eheim pimp #22!!
nimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 02:06 PM   #5
^iMp^
Planted Tank Obsessed

You're asking for trouble if you want to mix all these things together.

You may want to try this:

1) Create an environment with a arboreal zone, terrestrial zone, and aquatic zone. In your larger paludarium, you shouldn't have a problem doing this.

2) Select animals to populate this tank that will NOT come in contact with one another. For example, a gecko will spend most of its time up in the arboreal zone and an aquatic newt will spend most of its time in the aquatic zone. Also make sure that these creatures can survive at the same temperature, humidity, etc.

3) Select equipment, etc. necessary to build the environment that accomodates all creatures living in the paludarium. Make sure you can position the equipment such that all requirements are met. For example, you don't want to stick the heat lamp over the water zone, most likely.

You have to be really careful when mixing species. Having a big tank helps, but it won't help having goldfish in contact with newts. Goldfish produce a ton of ammonia waste and newts (and other amphibians) are very sensitive to water conditions. Newts require water temps under 70 degrees F (for the most part) while most other fish require higher temps. Mud skippers like brackish water, newts would die in such conditions... and the list goes on.

You'd probably be best getting a few arboreal tree frogs/anoles/geckos that are KNOWN to get along (popular opinion usually rules here--you'll get some guy who states they get along well in his tank and 20 other people stating that they've had problems--listen to the majority!). Then select a semi-quatic creature like firebellied toads to populate the rest of the tank. You could then get away with adding some smaller fish to the water section. Don't add algae eaters! They usually have spines/barbs--if swallowed, they get stuck in the throat.

^iMp^

PS: Generally, semi-aquatic newts and firebelly toads do not get along well. Since the toads stick to shallow water and terrestrial zones, you could attempt keeping a fully aquatic newt with some firebelly toads. Still, the temperature requirement is something to be careful of. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the newt lost some limbs...those toads are little meanies. :evil:
^iMp^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 03:15 AM   #6
Kris
Planted Tank Enthusiast

don't call my toads meanies!!!! :lol:
Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 02:20 PM   #7
nimmie
Algae Grower

keep us posted!! Your idea sounds lovely. Go to this site for some great ideas : http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/index.pl?photo=115257
Eheim pimp #22!!
nimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 01:18 PM   #8
monk90222

I believe that fire bellied toads secrete a toxin from their skin and cannot be kept with newts or fish.
monk90222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 04:07 PM   #9
TAF CAF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

I used a similar set up for my terarium/pantium... what ever it is called. I used a plexi glass seperator and glued it in with aquarium sealant for the water section and used a small water pump with sponge filter to pump the water up a pipe in a bamboo piece that trickeled down rocks glued to my slate rock back ground like a waterfall. Can't find a picture of it now... but it looked really nice. The other side I filled out with moss and rocks and plants and my red clawed crab would trim the moss when it got too tall. He was a great gardener until the turtle my hubby thought would be cute ate Mr. Crabcakes.

Colorado Aquarium Society ___ www.2000webdesign.com ___
TAF CAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 08:07 PM   #10
joan
Planted Tank Obsessed

There's a good how-to thread for paludarium construction right here on this forum that I have bookmarked. I think you might find it useful: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=10850

Here's another link I think you'll find helpful: http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/46g.htm

Both are very informative and document their construction in a lot of detail.
Pimpin' the Eheim at #153
joan is offline   Reply With Quote