Dirt's too... Dirty - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 01-08-2013, 12:51 AM   #16
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey View Post
Flourite, turface, saf t sorb and (some) oil dri are all basically the same thing. The latter will strip KH initially (it's supposed to), not sure if flourite does or doesn't.
I have never heard of flourite doing that, but my knowledge is limited, im leaning towards flourite right now, but i still don't know.

"Freedom is never free."
-Unknown
Live Free or Die
ADJAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 12:58 AM   #17
puopg
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)

+1 Aquasoil. I love the look of it. Also its 1 solid color. No clashing.
puopg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 01:52 AM   #18
DarkCobra
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey View Post
Flourite, turface, saf t sorb and (some) oil dri are all basically the same thing. The latter will strip KH initially (it's supposed to), not sure if flourite does or doesn't.
They are similar, but not exactly the same.

Compared to Flourite, Turface has higher CEC. So it's a bit better for growing plants. But it's also a lot lighter, so light that some people have a hard time planting in it. I just had to replace the Soilmaster Select (a discontinued Turface clone) in one tank because the filter was blowing it around.

Saf-T-Sorb and Oil Dri are like Turface, but made from clay that's not guaranteed to be fired to as high a temperature. So it may be less stable in the tank. Sometime you luck up and get a good batch, which lasts for years. Other times you get mud within months.
DarkCobra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 01:53 AM   #19
etgregoire
Planted Member

Do you have fish in your tank? Aqua soil leaches ammonia for a couple of weeks...
etgregoire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 01:52 PM   #20
Nothingness
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

more stem plants in the tanks should help to outcompete the algae for the access nutrients.
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 02:54 PM   #21
jhays79
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yeah, plant it heavier. Throw some water wisteria or some other fast growing plant in it to absorb the excess nutrients
jhays79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 03:15 PM   #22
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothingness View Post
more stem plants in the tanks should help to outcompete the algae for the access nutrients.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhays79 View Post
Yeah, plant it heavier. Throw some water wisteria or some other fast growing plant in it to absorb the excess nutrients

That was my 1st thought too. You don't mention what cap you have over the dirt?

If you read every thread on Dirted tank problems you start to see some common points. Lack of frequent water changes (you on that one), Gravel vs. Sand caps, and lightly planted tanks or moderate planting with slow growing plants.

I think the Sand preforms a function in that there is a think "seal" of the finest sand that sits on the dirt. I belie that slows down the nutrient flow into the water column in a way that gravel just can not do. I'm unaware of any natural body of water were gravel pebbles sit directly on dirt.

Even with sand you need to keep the nutrients in the water column in balance. Plant mass & water changes address that.

I feel the biggest error people make is focusing too much on the parts and not enough on the tank as a whole.

Before you spend $$ on substrate and do a tear down, I would suggest add as much Hornwort as you can. Let it grow to 2" thick on the top of your tank. Then as you get in balance remove it gradually.

Going to a sand Cap, 2" of dirt 1" of sand works well. In the long run it will be a simpler system.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #23
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
That was my 1st thought too. You don't mention what cap you have over the dirt?

If you read every thread on Dirted tank problems you start to see some common points. Lack of frequent water changes (you on that one), Gravel vs. Sand caps, and lightly planted tanks or moderate planting with slow growing plants.

I think the Sand preforms a function in that there is a think "seal" of the finest sand that sits on the dirt. I belie that slows down the nutrient flow into the water column in a way that gravel just can not do. I'm unaware of any natural body of water were gravel pebbles sit directly on dirt.

Even with sand you need to keep the nutrients in the water column in balance. Plant mass & water changes address that.

I feel the biggest error people make is focusing too much on the parts and not enough on the tank as a whole.

Before you spend $$ on substrate and do a tear down, I would suggest add as much Hornwort as you can. Let it grow to 2" thick on the top of your tank. Then as you get in balance remove it gradually.

Going to a sand Cap, 2" of dirt 1" of sand works well. In the long run it will be a simpler system.
Sorry i didn't add cap... I have a 1 inch gravel cap with about an inch of dirt beneath. I have a decently planted tank, not a TON but a lot of plants, i constantly add plants to the tank and i have never seen a change, what does make it to the water column just seems to feed the algea, in part because of direct sunlight. I would move the tank, but i can't, even ottos won't help the mess of a tank i have right now, i don't know if sand would suit my needs because i tend to rescape a good deal, i hear with sand i can't really do that. I change weekly, sometimes more depending on how busy of a week i have. I try to get 2 in a week, but that usually doesn't happen.

"Freedom is never free."
-Unknown
Live Free or Die
ADJAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 09:01 PM   #24
TwoTacoCombo
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/100%)

I've got Eco Complete in my two largest tanks and it's working out well. Just keep root tabs near your heavy root feeders. I prefer the larger size of the gravel in EC, as I can see all the brown muck slowly heading downwards and the surface stays clean. I have some really small-grained substrate in a smaller tank, and the crap just sits on top or within the first centimeter of the substrate and always kicks up a mess when doing water changes.
TwoTacoCombo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.