Tank Options - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 01-07-2013, 12:54 AM   #31
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_PA View Post
Money is not what caused any of the problems with wife wanting me to get rid of 125. It was the fact that was in the living room, and she does not like it in the living room, says it to loud of if wants to have company over I am always messing around with it. Laundry room still option for QT tank, but your right, I should not go crazy with that, just happy I can bring the 125 back in. The idea of the stand for 20 is not a bad idea at all.
Oh I do very, very much understand.

The reason why I suggest keeping the Q-Tank, simple-low co$t is NOT be cause you can't afford it. By keeping it simple-low co$t you are making a statement that you are not going hobby-crazy and will be keeping your hobby in perspective in terms of time/effort in relationship to the family.

I think I have commented on one of your prior threads. Do your maintenance when your wife is out, shopping, errands, work, whatever. That way the hobby is not getting in the way of family/wifey time. Or, have a weekly maintenance time scheduled so she can make plans for the family that don't result in time conflicts.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 01:23 AM   #32
Jim_PA
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
Oh I do very, very much understand.

The reason why I suggest keeping the Q-Tank, simple-low co$t is NOT be cause you can't afford it. By keeping it simple-low co$t you are making a statement that you are not going hobby-crazy and will be keeping your hobby in perspective in terms of time/effort in relationship to the family.

I think I have commented on one of your prior threads. Do your maintenance when your wife is out, shopping, errands, work, whatever. That way the hobby is not getting in the way of family/wifey time. Or, have a weekly maintenance time scheduled so she can make plans for the family that don't result in time conflicts.
Or when the mother-in-law is over for the day? Like today I worked under the house.

Makes sense and very good idea what your saying about the Q-Tank and keeping it low cost. I think I am just going to go with the 40 B or the 20 L, just need to decide which, but not going with 2. That will just bring to many questions into wife mind why do we have to have 3 tanks so and so on. She understand the point of having 1 Q-Tank, and she agrees with that.
Jim_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:38 AM   #33
The Dude
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)

Awesome advice in here. My wife gets a little upset over my hobbies at times and I've been crappy about hers, but we are open and discuss it and we are both very happy with the outcome. I always ask my wife when setting up or rescaping a tank. I show her pics of other tanks and fish and let her choose. With my wife its more about making sure she is included with hobbies as opposed to excluded. I also know when she wants something done by a certain time it needs to be done.
That being said, have you included her in the plans for the tank in the laundry room? Show her pics of scapes and fish. I had to put my shrimp tank in the closet
Member #13

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=678009
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:27 AM   #34
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_PA View Post
...That will just bring to many questions into wife mind why do we have to have 3 tanks so and so on. She understand the point of having 1 Q-Tank, and she agrees with that.
EXACTLY!!! Last thing you need is waving RED FLAGS Definitely, keep it low key, neat, clean, understated. I believe it might still be $1 per gallon at PetCos? Maybe the 20L is the wisest choice?

That whole in-law thing, sometimes we have to take one for the team
Good thing is you get double bonus points for the effort.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:57 PM   #35
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)

gotta be honest, if my wife told me i could only put a tank in the laundry room I'd have laughed in her face, said, "oooook", and promptly turned it into a fish room. It's already got easy access to water and drainage.

that being said, i have been relegated to the basement, had a 55 and 20. which sucks enough since it wasnt really finished and i didnt enjoy being down there. we're in the midst of renovating the basement now and i've wiggled my way up to a 125g. we'll be down there all the time with a kid's play area, tv/entertainment area, and lounge area where the tank will be going.

glad to hear you and your wife came to an agreement. I'd personally still be trying for the living room. what sort of filtration are you doing and why is it loud? promise your wife that you'll make it quiet and that it'll impress guests and then she can take credit for it.
scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote