GLA Atomic Paintball CO2 Regulator to CGA320?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 01-06-2013, 01:36 AM   #1
akpoly
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

GLA Atomic Paintball CO2 Regulator to CGA320?

I have one of the awesome GLA atomic paintball CO2 regulators and have been using it for many moons. But I have been looking around at perhaps getting a 5lb CO2 tank but its got a CGA320 valve. Looking around the GLA website though, it looks like the CGA320 atomic regulator is the same as the paintball versions. Except the paintball versions include what appears to be an adapter to connect to paintball tanks.

Has anyone tried or know if the atomic paintball regulators can be hooked up to a CGA320 tank just by unscrewing the adapter? I've unscrewed it but I don't have a CGA320 tank to see if it works.

This is the paintball version (you can see the adapter being the blue portion down):

This is the CGA320 version:

It just seems to make some sense it would work. Why make tooling equipment for different connections when you can just provide an adapter?

Old 01-06-2013, 01:49 AM   #2
bruinhd
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)

dont count on me, but im pretty sure it's pressure rated up to 30psi, even though a paintball tank is only like 5-8psi, sooo...
bruinhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:57 AM   #3
freph
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinhd View Post
dont count on me, but im pretty sure it's pressure rated up to 30psi, even though a paintball tank is only like 5-8psi, sooo...
Paintball tanks are definitely not 5-8psi. Paintball CO2 tanks still give the same 800~1000psi that a regular cylinder does as long as it contains liquid CO2. I'm not sure about the cartridges, though.

As far as GLA's atomic regulators go, they are rated at least 30psi output pressure to be compatible with their atomic diffusers.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:58 AM   #4
akpoly
Planted Member

the output pressure dial for either regulator goes to 6 bars = 81psi. Paintball tanks are at 3000-4500 psi if you were to just hit that little release valve on the tank... I don't know about the big co2 tanks though...
Old 01-06-2013, 04:03 AM   #5
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akpoly View Post
the output pressure dial for either regulator goes to 6 bars = 81psi.
As mentioned, the output pressure dial indicates the working pressure only. I would assume it is ~30 PSI as mentioned, since you would need that pressure to work with the atomic diffusers that GLA sells.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akpoly View Post
Paintball tanks are at 3000-4500 psi if you were to just hit that little release valve on the tank... I don't know about the big co2 tanks though...
I find this hard to believe. Perhaps 800-1200 PSI, like most CO2 cylinders, sure.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:09 AM   #6
jkan0228
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)

You might wanna try emailing GLA @ info@greenleafaquariums.com or call them: 1 352 872-5611 for accurate information.
jkan0228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:17 AM   #7
jester56
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

FWIW, Guys

The most common 20 oz CO2 tank sits at room temp with 800-850 psi. Most gauges that size are too small to get any decent level. And CO2 tanks show that same psi gaugeadingull down to a couple of ounces before it starts to drop. CO2 is measured by weight.

Nitrogen, or HPA (High Pressure Air) comes in 3000 & 4500 psi steel/aluminum and carbon fiber. 3000 psi tanks are almost exclusively steel. 4500 psi tanks are carbon fiber wrapped with aluminum bladders. HPA is measured in volume. Common tank sizes are 45, 48, 68, 70, and 88 cubic inches. HPA needs a step down reg.

This info is based on paintball use.

Hard to see how that regulator would fit on a 5 lb tank. The 5 takes the same connector that the 50 lb cylinders.
Nikon Pimp #084
"The legal quarter of tight lipped men, push for order, then repeat again." KTP
jester56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:45 AM   #8
akpoly
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkan0228 View Post
You might wanna try emailing GLA @ info@greenleafaquariums.com or call them: 1 352 872-5611 for accurate information.
I've left an email for O at that email address, I've had a hard time reaching him before for whatever reason so I just thought I'd try here as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester56 View Post
FWIW, Guys

The most common 20 oz CO2 tank sits at room temp with 800-850 psi. Most gauges that size are too small to get any decent level. And CO2 tanks show that same psi gaugeadingull down to a couple of ounces before it starts to drop. CO2 is measured by weight.

Nitrogen, or HPA (High Pressure Air) comes in 3000 & 4500 psi steel/aluminum and carbon fiber. 3000 psi tanks are almost exclusively steel. 4500 psi tanks are carbon fiber wrapped with aluminum bladders. HPA is measured in volume. Common tank sizes are 45, 48, 68, 70, and 88 cubic inches. HPA needs a step down reg.

This info is based on paintball use.

Hard to see how that regulator would fit on a 5 lb tank. The 5 takes the same connector that the 50 lb cylinders.
Thanks for the explanation on the different paintball tanks. And this is how the regulator fits on a 5lb tank. Again, it looks the same as the "paintball" version, just without the adapter. At least that's what I'm trying to figure out...?

What I can tell from the eBay photos of this same regulator, the blue adapter shown in the first photo is for disposable co2 tanks. Then the would mean the black adapter at the very end of the "paintball" version is to convert to the paintball connection.

Last edited by akpoly; 01-06-2013 at 06:05 AM.. Reason: more info!
akpoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:51 AM   #9
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

Can't you just remove the connection to make it back into a CGA 320 regulator? If you can, I would imagine everyone would just buy the Paintball version and have the ability to use 3 sources of Co2 (Paintball, Co2 cylinders, Disposable)

Reminds me of that waterplant system regulator or whatever they're called, I think it was IAS or something. In the video, the guy removed a connector to make it work from Paintball to Disposable.
FlyingHellFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:01 AM   #10
akpoly
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post
Can't you just remove the connection to make it back into a CGA 320 regulator? If you can, I would imagine everyone would just buy the Paintball version and have the ability to use 3 sources of Co2 (Paintball, Co2 cylinders, Disposable)

Reminds me of that waterplant system regulator or whatever they're called, I think it was IAS or something. In the video, the guy removed a connector to make it work from Paintball to Disposable.
That's what I'm hoping but I don't have a CGA320 tank or access to one to test it out. I don't know if anyone else has tried?
Old 01-07-2013, 12:09 AM   #11
jester56
Planted Member

Appears to be exactly as FHF said. Time to fill 5 lb? Pop the adapter and a 20 on and no worries for a few days while the 5 is filled. Good thinking!
Nikon Pimp #084
"The legal quarter of tight lipped men, push for order, then repeat again." KTP
jester56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:46 AM   #12
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

^ Funny, you describe exactly what my set up is.

20 oz, disregard the electric blue tape. I use tape to prevent scratches on the connection, because you know, I roll like that.
FlyingHellFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:43 AM   #13
Fluffles
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I asked the same question as well: "Also, for the Atomic Paintball CO2 Regulator V2, can the paintball adapter be removed and the regulator used with standard CGA-320 threads?"

Reply from Orlando:
"The V2 can not be switched to CGA320 it is its own proprietary design, this is why we make the V3 model. However the V2 series can be used with disposable cartridges as well by removing the paintball portion of the regulator."
Fluffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:56 AM   #14
akpoly
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffles View Post
I asked the same question as well: "Also, for the Atomic Paintball CO2 Regulator V2, can the paintball adapter be removed and the regulator used with standard CGA-320 threads?"

Reply from Orlando:
"The V2 can not be switched to CGA320 it is its own proprietary design, this is why we make the V3 model. However the V2 series can be used with disposable cartridges as well by removing the paintball portion of the regulator."
Ah. Well thanks for that. I still haven't received anything from Orlando.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:06 AM   #15
baishui
Algae Grower

Where did you get the regulator? The only place I could find is the GLA website, with about $25 shipping and unknown amount for tax.

Anyone else know where I can get one of that? I am thinking to buy the V3 one for CO2 tank, and then buy an adaptor for paintball.