Lighting a Triangle, I'm stumped
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 01-05-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
Grizzarian
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Lighting a Triangle, I'm stumped

Hello all I'm in a bit of a pickle here ill start with some pics so you all know we're I'm at
So front tank shot, as you can see I'm going to be planting the back corner of the tank but because of the shape regular fixtures won't do

And in this one you can see the filter and the two gaps that I have to work with

Ok so the tank is 20" high and comes with a stock led fixture of 6xwhite led and 2xblue I'm pretty sure there all 1w each and reside at the front of the tank so are pretty useless I feel. At the back under the plastic there is about a 2 inch gap so ill need something that sits above the tank but shines through the two holes

I'm not looking to go high light as I wont be having a "carpet" plant. I'd like to just have some swords, java furns, anubias, and some moss so low to medium should be fine

I was thinking a twin light fixture with a couple compact fluorescence bulbs one each angle to shine down the two holes, or going even deeper and doing a custom LED fixture(not much of a sparky though so I'm apprehensive) that I could make in a T shape and put in under so it would be about 1" from the surface and about 18" from the substraight so I wouldn't need many to get a nice PAR rating

So yeah my question, what would you do?
Grizzarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 08:24 PM   #2
dastowers
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Actually, on the BuildmyLed forum Nick tackles this very question.

http://forum.buildmyled.com/index.ph...orner-tank.28/
Old 01-05-2013, 09:15 PM   #3
veryzer
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dastowers View Post

The big difference, though, is that my tank has an all glass top without any of the plastic in the back that Grizzarian's photo shows. Is the plastic removable? I wouldn't think it would be bracing. If it doesn't come out more than 10" from the corner, then the corner tank layout in the link could work for you anyway.

I don't claim to know much about leds, but there are par38 lamps that might work well with the circle. I don't know about light spread, though, but that might be the best option if the plastic comes out too far. I'm not confident 2 cfls would do it for you.
veryzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:37 PM   #4
Grizzarian
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dastowers View Post

TY very much for the link, Iv shot them an e-mail just to make sure there systems can work over here before I go down that road

On to the bracing, I'm not 100% sure if it is removable ill have to check tonight when I get home from work haha

And yeah I was thinking the cfl might not be quite right cheers for the info and quick responses guys

Nick from Build My LED already got back to me (totally amazed it was like 2 1/2 hours) and they ship out to Australia and they will work fine, might have a chat with him later and work something out for the tank and just let the professionals handle it, thanks again guys but just let this one float away down the river of threads

Cheers
Old 01-06-2013, 12:05 AM   #5
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (424/100%)

I wouldn't throw money at BuildMyLED because there are far cheaper options - especially for your needs. For starters, look at Finnex fixtures if you're going the LED route. They're a forum sponsor and have their own sub-forum.

If it were me, I'd go with CFLs. Much cheaper, quite energy efficient, easy to replace and to find.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:30 AM   #6
Grizzarian
Algae Grower

Thanks for the reply, I have a feeling I'm no where near ready to pull the trigger on anything yet, still so much to read and learn, I'm just always curious what other more seasoned aquarists would do and thanks for mentioning Finnex it's good to know there are options out there
Old 01-06-2013, 04:43 AM   #7
veryzer
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
I wouldn't throw money at BuildMyLED because there are far cheaper options - especially for your needs. For starters, look at Finnex fixtures if you're going the LED route. They're a forum sponsor and have their own sub-forum.

If it were me, I'd go with CFLs. Much cheaper, quite energy efficient, easy to replace and to find.
I'm assuming the op means spiral bulbs that can be directly pointed. If so, and if it gives enough light, that would certainly be cheapest. Finnex also sells about the cheapest setups, and if you agree with the color spectrum, that would be a wise choice.

Personally, I like a warmer light that brings out reds, which is why I'm considering buildmyled's lamp. No one else is really doing that right now.

When considering a purchase, the last thing I'd do is consider a company's forum sponsorship or guide myself by the advice of a person who signifies patronizing a company as "throwing money at them."
Old 01-06-2013, 04:25 PM   #8
oldpunk78
ಠ_ಠ

PTrader: (105/100%)

I would take a dremel to that bracing.
oldpunk78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:48 PM   #9
dastowers
Algae Grower

[QUOTE=somewhatshocked;2163457]I wouldn't throw money at BuildMyLED because there are far cheaper options - especially for your needs. For starters, look at Finnex fixtures if you're going the LED route. They're a forum sponsor and have their own sub-forum.

If it were me, I'd go with CFLs. Much cheaper, quite energy efficient, easy to replace and to find.[/QUOTE - END OF QUOTE.....

@ Somewhatshocked- Wow. I have never been told I throw my money around. LOL! Having owned a computer/Apple store for over twenty years I did research my purchases from Buildmyled. Very glad I decided to go with them. There may be cheaper options (not saying better) but being in the hobby for over 20 years I have purchased most of them and have to say these lights are well thought out and when I call- I ALWAYS get a person (the owner) on the line if I have a question. .

This is my first saltwater tank in 1993 with a 6 foot external protein skimmer and the huge basement sump - with Son Ryan (he loved the actinic lights).

My how time flies- this is him now- 2012

Last edited by dastowers; 01-07-2013 at 07:08 PM.. Reason: quote
dastowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:43 PM   #10
minicrazy592
Algae Grower

Send a message via Skype™ to minicrazy592

This^^^^

I have 3 of their fixtures on my tanks and couldn't be happier. Them also being based in Austin means I can drop by if I ever need anything. Having Nick's cell phone number helps too.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:23 PM   #11
jonathan
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

http://youtu.be/JZHllX8HSsc

Kessil A150W Amazon Sun LED Aquarium Light would work
jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:33 AM   #12
veryzer
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan View Post
http://youtu.be/JZHllX8HSsc

Kessil A150W Amazon Sun LED Aquarium Light would work
I was thinking that too, but it'd be a huge amount of light to put close to that hole....maybe if he took a dremel to it as punk suggested and then he could raise it.