Giant Ecosphere - Page 5
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 01-05-2013, 04:26 PM   #61
davrx
Cretum Aqua Planta

PTrader: (56/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aside View Post
This looks really interesting. I'm reading up on these shrimp now.
They're still doing well but no reproduction.
My wife's, which is identical to mine other than lighting (mine is sunlight and hers in LED) had 2/3 of the water evaporate during her Christmas break (she's an 8th. grade science teacher). The salinity tripled which killed the chaetomorpha but only two of the shrimp died as far as I could see. I went into her classroom and removed all the dead chaeto and replaced it with some from my bowl, cleaned up the glass, and will have to wait for the water turbidity to settle but I think the remaining shrimp will be fine. A testament to their toughness. Spring break we're going to cover the bowl to cut down on the evaporation.

Better Living Through Chemistry
davrx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 04:35 PM   #62
Rob in Puyallup
Opae Ula Crazed.

PTrader: (3/100%)

Anything new going on in your opae bowls?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2
Rob in Puyallup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #63
davrx
Cretum Aqua Planta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob in Puyallup View Post
Anything new going on in your opae bowls?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2
Not really, the chaeto continues to grow and the shrimp are active but no babies. Since their lifespan can be 20 yrs. I guess I'm not so concerned about reproduction, I'd like to have a more densely populated bowl and I've had some unpleasant experiences dealing with sellers of opaes so I'm not looking to add anymore new ones.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:51 PM   #64
Aside
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Where did you get them from? I've very interested in setting up a bowl with a few of these in the near future. Possibly as a present for my grandparents. Might be nice to give them a little bowl they can watch yet only have negligible maintenance.
Aside is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 04:57 PM   #65
davrx
Cretum Aqua Planta

Quote:
Where did you get them from? I've very interested in setting up a bowl with a few of these in the near future. Possibly as a present for my grandparents. Might be nice to give them a little bowl they can watch yet only have negligible maintenance.
I got them from Cookymonster760

Last edited by davrx; 01-05-2013 at 06:29 PM.. Reason: Just received the shrimp!
Old 01-05-2013, 05:10 PM   #66
Aside
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I'll probably wait until spring to get them. Jut got my first tank up and running, shouldn't be so excited about a second already.
Aside is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #67
davrx
Cretum Aqua Planta

Quote:
I'll probably wait until spring to get them. Jut got my first tank up and running, shouldn't be so excited about a second already.
Well, I tend to really get into my hobbies to the point that some would call it an obsession i.e. my wife. I've had aquariums since I was a little kid from my splatter paint tank from the 30's or 40's that we had when I was in my single digits and which held whatever I could catch on my own like turtles and crayfish to the 9 that I have now.
I've always been into antiques so I married my two interests into collecting and restoring/using antique tanks.
I've been into the "mad scientist" type since I was in my single digits as well and my background in chemistry has led me to start work on laboratory glassware based steampunkesque tank(s) which I will have on the forum in the near future.
So, you may be on your way to a multitude of tanks or maybe just the one, either way it's a fun, absorbing, diversion.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:24 PM   #68
Rob in Puyallup
Opae Ula Crazed.

Sorry about your wife's bowl and opae.

Cookymonster760 kind of left us in a mess. I was in the process of ordering some Chocolates from him, though we hadn't finished the order so payment hadn't been sent, when he disappeared from the scene. Do hope he's okay and that he makes amends soon. I did get some opae from him back in November, though.

Really good heat packs and insulation are necessary when shipping these guys in the cold weather. Cookymonster's opae source is a member of our forum, 100 of mine came directly from him via Hawaii.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:31 PM   #69
davrx
Cretum Aqua Planta

Quote:

Cookymonster760 kind of left us in a mess. I was in the process of ordering some Chocolates from him, though we hadn't finished the order so payment hadn't been sent, when he disappeared from the scene. Do hope he's okay and that he makes amends soon. I did get some opae from him back in November, though.

Really good heat packs and insulation are necessary when shipping these guys in the cold weather. Cookymonster's opae source is a member of our forum, 100 of mine came directly from him via Hawaii.
I jumped the gun here, unbelievably the day I choose to dis Cookymonster760 I receive the shrimp I have been waiting for since the end of Nov. I JUST got them minutes ago! He generously gave me 50 instead of the 30 shrimp I paid for plus some extra plants. I hope there's a way for me to reverse my negative feedback for him. Liam, I am so sorry! Should have waited longer, I tend to be a very impatient person!

Last edited by davrx; 01-05-2013 at 07:03 PM.. Reason: misspelling
Old 01-05-2013, 06:41 PM   #70
Rob in Puyallup
Opae Ula Crazed.

Congrats! Glad to hear that Liam's back!
Old 01-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #71
davrx
Cretum Aqua Planta

Default Specific Gravity

I just tested the water the shrimp came in from Liam and it's 1.004, mine is 1.011 so will need to acclimate them before release into the bowl. I'll have over 100 in the bowl if everything goes well!

Old 01-05-2013, 07:02 PM   #72
davrx
Cretum Aqua Planta

Quote:

Her shrimp seem to be O.K. so you don't need to be sorry but thanks anyway.
I received these shrimp in double plastic bags with wadded up newspaper, no heat packs, no insulation, temperatures have been in the teens here, and it looks like they all survived! They don't call them Super Shrimp for nothing!

Old 01-05-2013, 07:07 PM   #73
davrx
Cretum Aqua Planta

Quote:

I believe I got some Opaes from the same source in Hawaii as you and they were well packed with insulation/heat pack but several of them didn't survive the trip while all of Liam's did with no insulation or heat pack, go figure. I believe since I'm in the midwest that the extra time in transit made a difference.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:41 AM   #74
Rob in Puyallup
Opae Ula Crazed.

Ah... I'm a bit closer to Hawaii and lost 2 shipments, one was insulated with a heatpack, the other wasn't.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:01 AM   #75
davrx
Cretum Aqua Planta

Quote:
Ah... I'm a bit closer to Hawaii and lost 2 shipments, one was insulated with a heatpack, the other wasn't.
Well, it's a mystery then. Maybe the handlers shook the packages for the ones that didn't make it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.