High To Low Light Transition
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 01-05-2013, 04:11 AM   #1
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

High To Low Light Transition

I currently have a 20L on medium light injecting co2 EI dosing but I've been thinking about moving to low light with little or no co2.

I'd like to take the highlight plants out and keep only low lights. Ill probably have to take out my t5ho suspended light and replace it with a t5no fixture.

What's the best way to make this transition?
tylergvolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 04:12 AM   #2
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

Oops this should be in the general section.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:18 AM   #3
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Before you start ripping out plants--give serious consideration to waiting and seeing how they do under lower light conditions. Their growth characteristics will likely change, but a lot of traditionally high light/c02 demanding plants still do well under medium light conditions/no-c02.

If you're able to use the same plants you'll save money AND have them on hand ready to transition back should you decide to switch back to high-tech or set up a different hi-tech tank. I've a few free cuttings of hard to find plants tucked in the back of my low-tech, blackwater riparium that need c02 to show off their full potential. They've got good root systems and healthy growth, they're just... blah. When I've gotten around to setting up a C02 nano, they'll be ready to pruned back hard and put to work.
Knotyoureality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:43 PM   #4
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotyoureality View Post
Before you start ripping out plants--give serious consideration to waiting and seeing how they do under lower light conditions. Their growth characteristics will likely change, but a lot of traditionally high light/c02 demanding plants still do well under medium light conditions/no-c02.

If you're able to use the same plants you'll save money AND have them on hand ready to transition back should you decide to switch back to high-tech or set up a different hi-tech tank. I've a few free cuttings of hard to find plants tucked in the back of my low-tech, blackwater riparium that need c02 to show off their full potential. They've got good root systems and healthy growth, they're just... blah. When I've gotten around to setting up a C02 nano, they'll be ready to pruned back hard and put to work.
good advice. thanks
Old 01-05-2013, 02:28 PM   #5
Aquaticz
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

You can also stash unused plants in an emersed system and transition back - I have done it many times

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Aquaticz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:06 PM   #6
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

What about keeping the tank balanced while moving from higher light to lower light?

Should this be a gradual change or quick?