New jersey in the house - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New Jersey

Old 01-03-2013, 03:46 AM   #46
jerrytheplater
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by we4wieners View Post
Never a crowd of South Jersey members, NEVER! I am outside Atlantic City and have to travel to shop at LFS's. I'd rather do most of purchases online. ANyone else down here????
We have members from Toms River. I am not sure any others are further south.
jerrytheplater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 04:01 AM   #47
discusonly
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by we4wieners View Post
Never a crowd of South Jersey members, NEVER! I am outside Atlantic City and have to travel to shop at LFS's. I'd rather do most of purchases online. ANyone else down here????
I am north of you so I hang out over on the Philly side.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:13 PM   #48
shloken38
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

I live in a town called West New York (yes, it's in NJ....just outside the Lincoln Tunnel). I am interested in joining a club. Are you guys strictly plants? I am low tech, but I do keep plants. My only issue with joining a club is time. So long as you guys don't frown upon someone who can't participate on a regular basis, I would definitely like to join. I won't be someone who NEVER shows up.....it just might be difficult for me to make the majority of the meetings.

Let me know.
2.5 Gallon - Pea Puffer
5.5 Gallon - RCS, Ghost Shrimp, Ember Tetras, Sparkling Gouramis, Bumble Bee Gobies
10 Gallon - Pure Black Bar Endlers
29 Gallon - Planted Community - Cherry Barbs, Neon Tetras, Various Cory Cats, Albino Bristlenose Pleco
shloken38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:51 PM   #49
arbai89
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

shloken. i just joined the NJAGC club a few days ago. it doesn't hurt to join. I hope to learn more and meet other fanatics
arbai89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:33 PM   #50
nyxkitten
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (71/100%)

I would love to join but I wouldn't be an active member at meetings on account of time and possible distance.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:43 PM   #51
Axelrodi202
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

I've submitted the form for joining. No, that wasn't my parent; I wish my parents were that supportive of my hobby.
\_\
Axelrodi202 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:04 AM   #52
jerrytheplater
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shloken38 View Post
I live in a town called West New York (yes, it's in NJ....just outside the Lincoln Tunnel). I am interested in joining a club. Are you guys strictly plants? I am low tech, but I do keep plants. My only issue with joining a club is time. So long as you guys don't frown upon someone who can't participate on a regular basis, I would definitely like to join. I won't be someone who NEVER shows up.....it just might be difficult for me to make the majority of the meetings.

Let me know.
West New York. Terrible parking on the street. Maybe the whole town is not like what I've seen. We have a member from Hoboken. Others from Bergen County. Others from Rockland County NY.

Joining NJAGC is free. You are not obligated to go to a meeting. Many of the current members don't go to meetings. I am the current President and I have to miss meetings at times too. But, you really are missing out on a very important aspect of the club if you don't go to some of the meetings. You really do get to know one another. Plant swaps at the meetings. Equipment deals, DIY ideas.... The forum is private for members only. We don't have any secrets, but it allows a freedom in speaking at a different level than a public forum. We post actual photo's of ourselves as Avatars so we can associate the real name with the face at meetings. It also contributes to the sense of community in the club.

We don't pressure you to post on the forum. We all have lives besides our hobby.

Our next meeting will be at a members home to tear down his 200 gallon tank in preparation for his move to the west coast. Going to miss Ken a lot.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:48 AM   #53
gmoses
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

hey Jerry,
where is the tear down taking place? I would love to see some pics of a planted tank at that size... any tank that size is always a pretty amazing sight
gmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:43 PM   #54
tendertouche401
Algae Grower

Hi There,

How are you? How are the angel fish coming along?

Happy New Years

Pauline
tendertouche401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #55
tendertouche401
Algae Grower

Default New Jersey Gal

Hi All,

I'm in Hamilton, NJ. There's a great place in PA - The Hidden Reef...pretty nice for the fish side of the house.

Would be nice to connect with other folks in NJ.

Happy New Years All. Have Fun and Be Blessed.

Pauline
Hamilton
tendertouche401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:02 PM   #56
shloken38
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Thanks Jerry. I will definitely be looking into it. None of my friends are into the hobby, so I would definitely love to meet some folks that share the same likes as I do. I would be someone who posts on the forum and try my best to make it to some of the meet ups. I'm going to check it all out as soon as I'm done formatting my laptop (it took a dump on me!).
2.5 Gallon - Pea Puffer
5.5 Gallon - RCS, Ghost Shrimp, Ember Tetras, Sparkling Gouramis, Bumble Bee Gobies
10 Gallon - Pure Black Bar Endlers
29 Gallon - Planted Community - Cherry Barbs, Neon Tetras, Various Cory Cats, Albino Bristlenose Pleco
shloken38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:10 PM   #57
DvanK
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (28/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmoses View Post
hey Jerry,
where is the tear down taking place? I would love to see some pics of a planted tank at that size... any tank that size is always a pretty amazing sight
Next meeting will be in Toms River, NJ
Old 01-05-2013, 03:27 AM   #58
jerrytheplater
Planted Member

gmoses

DvanK is correct about the next meeting being in Toms River. But I need to point out these are not public meetings like NJAS or JSAS. They are meetings for club members that have been active on the NJAGC forum for a month at least.

Why do we have this rule? Remember, the meetings take place in our private homes, not in a rented facility. The host of the meeting invites us in for a meeting. He/she is not going to want to open the doors to anyone that wants to stop by, perfect strangers. We want the host to feel comfortable with who attends the meetings. It is the host that can determine on a case by case basis if he/she wants to waive this rule. It is his/her house and they can do what they want in it.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:29 AM   #59
jerrytheplater
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shloken38 View Post
Thanks Jerry. I will definitely be looking into it. None of my friends are into the hobby, so I would definitely love to meet some folks that share the same likes as I do. I would be someone who posts on the forum and try my best to make it to some of the meet ups. I'm going to check it all out as soon as I'm done formatting my laptop (it took a dump on me!).
Looking forward to seeing you on the forum.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:35 AM   #60
jerrytheplater
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tendertouche401 View Post
Hi All,

I'm in Hamilton, NJ. There's a great place in PA - The Hidden Reef...pretty nice for the fish side of the house.

Would be nice to connect with other folks in NJ.

Happy New Years All. Have Fun and Be Blessed.

Pauline
Hamilton
Pauline

Read the posts all around yours about the NJAGC. We meet every other month in our homes to talk plants, lights, etc. We have a summer picnic where the families are invited, as well as the kids (or grandkids for some of us).

We had a meeting in Camden last fall. That member is very active and makes the drives to most of the meetings.