Andrew's 2nd tank - planted spec 2 tank - boraras maculatus & wild tigers arrived :D - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-20-2012, 07:27 PM   #46
horsedude
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

http://www.franksaquarium.com/nanofish.htm
hey I love your new shrimps and I love the story about houdini . I found this website grant sell chilli seaboard Sewell as shrimp and other cool stuff
have fun and keep us updated :-O ;-)
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 06:40 PM   #47
andrewss
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

im gonna go with msjinkzd - she said she is getting some rasbora brigittae (chillis) in on monday so after a quarantine they can be sent to me along with 10 crs s grade
andrewss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:52 AM   #48
horsedude
Planted Tank Obsessed

awsome good choice just make sure you dont get another houdini shrimp LOL
but anyway good choice and keep them post's coming!
Old 12-07-2012, 05:19 AM   #49
andrewss
Planted Tank Obsessed

Soooooo... I finally made adjustments for this tank.

I added a couple pieces of manzanita wood. I attached some fissidens and anubias petite to the two pieces.

I plan to put in some chilli rasboras so I want to create enough cover in the tank for them to feel more comfortable. Though I am still thinking it might not be enough cover for them.... perhaps I will add some riccia to float on top.

Also I added an assassin snail from my 5 gallon tank to help control the snails that hitched on the plants, he has been doing his job so far pretty handily.

Pix:

The tank also still has two amano shrimps in it to help control algae until I get a colony of CRS in there.

Oh and as far as stocking goes... I am having a real hard time finding any chilli rasboras available anywhere - nobody has them in stock! and the ones at my LFS are probably not really rasbora brigittae from what I have seen.

Well hope you like the changes to the tank and the plans for the fauna
Old 12-12-2012, 07:09 PM   #50
horsedude
Planted Tank Obsessed

that is really cool and unluckly on the rasboras. i can see whhy u want them they are very cool little fellas and it would look really cool anyway i got some DHG and i was going to make a carpet with them But my hopolo catfish (sanchez) had other ideas and destroyed it and up rotted every 30 hand planted plant- it made me made but oh well.
keep up the good work and UPDATES!
Old 12-18-2012, 07:22 AM   #51
andrewss
Planted Tank Obsessed

thanks!
Old 12-18-2012, 06:38 PM   #52
horsedude
Planted Tank Obsessed

oh well keep trying to get them rasboras (NEVER GIVE IN!) im sure they will look amazing once you get them
Old 12-18-2012, 08:01 PM   #53
AndyS
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewss View Post
Oh and I found the escapist amano shrimp alive and eating this morning, sooooo so far he seems ok - I am impressed he is surviving such stress still, hope he makes it. He is grazing some and appears to be ok but wow 5-10mins out of the tank under the stand is pretty impressive to survive at all from!
I had a cover on my Eheim Aquastyle 9, but I had one get out around the cover since the heater cord created a bit of a gap. It was found hours later about 12 foot away from the tank in the kitchen floor. It apparently crawled across 10 foot of carpet to make it there then a couple of feet into the kitchen. No idea how it did that. I know it lived for awhile, because it wasn't there all day then it was.

The others I had will sometimes get up on top of the filter completely out of the water looking to escape.

Glad yours made it.
AndyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:55 AM   #54
andrewss
Planted Tank Obsessed

wow your shrimp was quite the adventurer haha!

I guess mine just being out of the tank for about 10 minutes was fine, he is still ok and grazing today!

soooooooooooo finally Msjinkzd is probably getting in some rasbora brigittae in (chillirasbora) so I will order like 5 of those, I also paid her for 10 CRS to brighten up the bottom of the tank

I am going to consider diffusing the light a bit more because the rasboras probably won't like the intensity - also I am going to get giant/greater duckweed for the surface so they feel like they have more cover.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:58 AM   #55
andrewss
Planted Tank Obsessed

sooo finally got some CRS in the tank (ordered 10 from Msjinkzd, still waiting on her to get chilli rasboras in)

I am waiting on some giant duckweed to come in the mail from a user here, I plan to put a lot of cover for the lil rasboras that should be in the tank in a few weeks hopefully.

Besides this the tank is just going along it has a bit of algae but whatever... I guess the two amanos have been slacking

here are pix!

andrew
Old 01-05-2013, 03:47 PM   #56
horsedude
Planted Tank Obsessed

wow they look great. u finally got some
they look like they are healthy and the tank has some life in it now
great work!!
Old 01-06-2013, 01:53 AM   #57
andrewss
Planted Tank Obsessed

thanks
Old 01-25-2013, 12:17 AM   #58
andrewss
Planted Tank Obsessed

soooooooooooooooo this tank is just too hot...

I know that CRS like the temps lower than what the tank is at...

I have my 25w heater turned ALL the way down but the tank stays at 77/78 .... I wish I could get it more like in the mid to low 70's - I have heard about CRS dying off when the temps are high and they really need 70-74 to be healthy and I am sure most all of you will agree with that.

I don't know what to do because all small heaters under 25w dont adjust and just automatically go to 78 degrees, and my 25w is too powerful even at its lowest setting that says it is set to 72 but wont drop under 77/78!!!

Maybe its just my 25w is low quality?

I dunno!

If anyone has any ideas about a heater that actually maintains low 70's and could work with my 2g tank I am all ears!

andrew
Old 01-25-2013, 01:23 AM   #59
Kinection
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Nice color on the shrimp! I like the scape.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:46 AM   #60
andrewss
Planted Tank Obsessed

thanks man

I swapped heaters with my 5gallon tank and it appears this heater is a bit easier to run cooler (it doesnt seem to want to cycle on as easy as the other on low setting) and the temps have been running around 75 and I dunno I think the shrimps seem a bit more animated now but maybe that is just in my head lol

I might get a REAL low wattage heater made for a betta bowl or something that is preset and see how it works with the setup...