ADA Mini M: Iwagumi (56K) - Page 6
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-05-2013, 12:32 AM   #76
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Such a fun thread to read through. All you ADA users have very beautiful tanks!
tylergvolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 01:32 AM   #77
ad3hybrid
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylergvolk View Post
Such a fun thread to read through. All you ADA users have very beautiful tanks!
Thanks!
ad3hybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:50 PM   #78
ad3hybrid
Algae Grower

UPDATE:

I think it's getting a little bit messy in this tank. Should I start trimming. No?
Old 01-16-2013, 10:22 PM   #79
ad3hybrid
Algae Grower

Does anyone know the correct method to trim HM into certain shape? I observed that HM growth pattern is quite random compared to other stem plants I had before. Should I just trim them in straight line or do I have to select certain stems before trimming?
Old 01-16-2013, 10:37 PM   #80
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3hybrid View Post
Does anyone know the correct method to trim HM into certain shape? I observed that HM growth pattern is quite random compared to other stem plants I had before. Should I just trim them in straight line or do I have to select certain stems before trimming?
Just trim in the shape you want. You may have to trim more often than other stems if it starts growing downwards as it's trying to carpet, even if it's well above the substrate.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:17 AM   #81
ad3hybrid
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
Just trim in the shape you want. You may have to trim more often than other stems if it starts growing downwards as it's trying to carpet, even if it's well above the substrate.
Thanks! will try to do it tomorrow.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:26 AM   #82
ad3hybrid
Algae Grower

I'm actually confused whether my 'HM' is the Hemianthus micranthemoides or Hemianthus glomeratus.

Maybe I need some clarifications about this thing.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:26 AM   #83
ad3hybrid
Algae Grower

UPDATE:

Before trimming:

After trimming:

Thank you for looking!
Old 01-23-2013, 04:04 AM   #84
karatekid14
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

This is an absolutely amazing tank. The scale of it is fantastic and the texture of the plants. I will like to watch it mature more. You should get some lily pipes, that would be the cherry on top!
Old 01-23-2013, 06:40 AM   #85
synaethetic
Planted Tank Obsessed

Spectacular!
synaethetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:31 PM   #86
AUvet14
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

I think that looks more like hemianthus glomeritus. Leaves look much to big to be HM.

Tank is looking nice. Not what I've typically seen with a lot of iwagumi tanks. A lot more variety in flora, but still looks good. I think the variety in flora brings a bit of a different feel to it than the minimalistic iwagumi with a carpet and a background plant. It's different, but I like what you've done with it. It seems to work pretty well with your hardscape.

I do think your early concerns about the size of the stargrass might have been valid. It does look rather large in this small a tank. Maybe something with finer leaves would look good in that spot.

How did you do your trimming? Did you pull it all up and replant the tops or did you take off the tops? It almost looks to nice and neat for just cutting off the tops, at least neater than when I top my stems. It usually takes it a couple days for it to start looking good again after a big trim.
AUvet14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:01 PM   #87
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

very nice!

my little eden
7g nano, a work in progress

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

bluestems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:54 PM   #88
ad3hybrid
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid14 View Post
This is an absolutely amazing tank. The scale of it is fantastic and the texture of the plants. I will like to watch it mature more. You should get some lily pipes, that would be the cherry on top!
Thank you! I do have lily pipes for this tank but I decided not to use it because of difficulties when doing maintenance. The hose I used is too stiff and make it difficult to place the lily pipes properly.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:02 PM   #89
ad3hybrid
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUvet14 View Post
I think that looks more like hemianthus glomeritus. Leaves look much to big to be HM.

Tank is looking nice. Not what I've typically seen with a lot of iwagumi tanks. A lot more variety in flora, but still looks good. I think the variety in flora brings a bit of a different feel to it than the minimalistic iwagumi with a carpet and a background plant. It's different, but I like what you've done with it. It seems to work pretty well with your hardscape.

I do think your early concerns about the size of the stargrass might have been valid. It does look rather large in this small a tank. Maybe something with finer leaves would look good in that spot.

How did you do your trimming? Did you pull it all up and replant the tops or did you take off the tops? It almost looks to nice and neat for just cutting off the tops, at least neater than when I top my stems. It usually takes it a couple days for it to start looking good again after a big trim.
Thank you. But my tank still looks too neat. I use many plants to make it looks natural but still can't achieve that. Maybe I should add more plants maybe some moss or fissidens. But I dont think i have enough time for that right now. My top priority at the moment is to replace the stargrass with Rotala rotundifolia or Didiplis diandra or any fast growing stem plant with nice color. I'm also thinking to add a bright red color plant.

Yes, I replanted the stargrass
Old 01-23-2013, 06:22 PM   #90
AUvet14
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3hybrid View Post
Thank you. But my tank still looks too neat. I use many plants to make it looks natural but still can't achieve that. Maybe I should add more plants maybe some moss or fissidens. But I dont think i have enough time for that right now. My top priority at the moment is to replace the stargrass with Rotala rotundifolia or Didiplis diandra or any fast growing stem plant with nice color. I'm also thinking to add a bright red color plant.

Yes, I replanted the stargrass
You can replant the stargrass, but it can tolerate some heavy hacking, which is much quicker and easier than replanting. Just a suggestion. If you're looking for something bright red colored, might I suggest rotala macrandra? I was actually thinking didiplis diandra might work in place of the stargrass as well. Mayaca fluviatilis might look good there if you're looking for a more wild/natural look.
AUvet14 is online now   Reply With Quote