Cloudy water/Stocking question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 01-04-2013, 10:42 PM   #1
ishockyou

PTrader: (0/0%)

Cloudy water/Stocking question

I have a 75gal, medium planted tank. The substrate is fine gravel mixed with Seachem Flourite. I do inject DIY CO2. Lights above the tank are staggered with two 54W (10K and 12K) being on for 8 hours and two 6700K being on for 4 hours. Plants include Jungle Vals, Amazon Sword, Apongeton (x2), one Anubias Nana and a water Lilly (pleco loves that plant so it has just lost a lot of its leaves due to being eaten). I do change about 15 gal once a week. I do use about 5cc of Seachem Flourish with water changes. Filter is a canister Aquatop CF 500. The tank has been set up for about three months.

My main problem is slightly cloudy water, it is just a light haze that rarely goes away. I have tried different filter media, frequent water changes, vacuuming the gravel, the cloudiness keeps on persisting. The gravel was rinsed well before tank was set up. All the chemical measurements are within normal limits. The tank is actually more hazy than cloudy

Here are the fish that are in the tank
1 koi angel
3 keyhole cichlids
10 cardinals
6 cherry barbs
4 celebese rainbows
5 sterbai cories
1 BN pleco (around 4in)
1 black brevis

I am wondering if the bioload is too high on the tank or if it is the substrate that is being stirred up by the cories.
ishockyou is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 11:05 PM   #2
steven p
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Well, let it be. Add more fast growing plants or reduce the stock. I have Cory cats in a couple tanks, no cloudy water unless I disturb something. A burrowing banjo in a dirted tank with no issues...

What media do you use in the aquatop? My first came with 3 white pads, my second came with a coarse sponge and 3 pads.. the coarse sponge needs to be cleaned only twice a year for me, otherwise bimonthly poly-fil changeouts on the other canister.

Last edited by steven p; 01-04-2013 at 11:07 PM.. Reason: phones autocorrect doesnt like some words..
steven p is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cloudy water, planted tank, stocking ideas

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.