3rd attempt at high tech planted aquarium. Please Help - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 01-04-2013, 06:22 PM   #31
zico_aqua
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

it happens..patience is the key..it took me 2 years to understand what each plant species need to grow right an' i'm talking about 12 years back when atleast I did not have internet access to ask questions in forums so spontaneously! so patience my friend..u'll get there. Worst part about a new tank is - the ammonia spike..with regards to the amount of substrate you have your plant count was really less. give a gap of a few days and start again. One thing that I did notice - your tank has a lot of diatome attack, which in a way has changed your water colour as well. IMO - when starting a new setup this is what I follow - 1) 50% WC everyday for 1st 2 weeks 2) 50% WC alternate days for next 2 weeks 3) 50% WC every 3 days for 2 weeks then finally bring it down to 1 - 40% WC weekly. This helps in keeping the tank a lot stabilized. I also follow a lihgt schedule of 4 hrs for first week, and then gradually increase it to 8 over a span of 4 weeks by that time plants stabilize. Reason of doing - most plants we buy are grown emersed so it takes time for them to convert to it's submerged state. During this time it's expected that there would be melt out's but your WC schedule along with controlled lighting helps them not go into a shock and stabilize faster. Now onto ferts - I dose exactly half calculated dosage of my tank(I follow EI using stock solution) for first 4 weeks (reason - plants are already sufering to convert them selves, why stress them out more with ferts to photosynthesise faster that too when it's not required). Last but not the least as I mentioned before - HOB's are not exactly ment for planted tanks so my advice get a canister filter with a 10X filtration rate, if that's too expensive then go for a lower rate but definitely get a power head to increase flow as otherwise algal growth due to low flow is un-avoidable. Now I shared the whole process of how I run my tanks and these steps never dissapointed me till date - hope you give this a shot..my guess it will be a grand success at your end as well.

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.

Few of my works
zico_aqua is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 08:09 PM   #32
Clarky802
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

So going out on a limb here.

I got a high range ph test and results come back 8.2ph
My kh is 27.

I have no other option left to belive this is the cause of my dead plants.

I got a reverse osmosis unit setup in the house and just now took readings from it:
Kh4
Gh3
Ph7.6

I am goin to start daily water changes of maybe 25% to get the tank numbers down. And try this again. 4th try here we go.

What do you think?
Clarky802 is offline   Reply With Quote