Pothos plants in a HOB filter - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 12-29-2012, 04:07 PM   #16
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

As the pictures above show:
Leaves and stem in the air, roots in the tank.
No need for soil.
Make sure there is reasonable light up there where the leaves are. Chinese Evergreen, and most of the plants we are talking about are low light plants, when grown as house plants. If you want high nitrogen removal, though, you will have to provide more light. I got the best growth out of Pothos when it was in a west facing window. I used a curtain to keep the direct sun off, but it was a pretty bright location.
If you want to do a plant in an HOB you could fill the HOB with lava rock. This is very good to hold the upright plants, and will grow lots of bacteria for the aquarium.
Diana is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 08:34 PM   #17
BBradbury
Wannabe Guru

Default Using land Plants in FW Tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinbos View Post
Hmmm, I think I may have a very large one in my living room. My fiance's parents gave it to us. I will take a pic when I get home and post it on here.
Hello Cin...

Chinese Evergreen "Aglaonema" works best emersed in the tank. It will definitely keep the water just about nitrogen free if that's what you want. Attached is a pic of a 45 G with some "Ag" plants called Cutlass. There's another in the pic called Gemini.

B

Last edited by BBradbury; 05-01-2013 at 07:56 PM..
BBradbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:15 PM   #18
Cinbos
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
Hello Cin...

Chinese Evergreen "Aglaonema" works best emersed in the tank. It will definitely keep the water just about nitrogen free if that's what you want. Attached is a pic of a 45 G with some "Ag" plants called Cutlass. There's another in the pic called Gemini.

B
So is this what I have then?

Fish
3 GBR, 2 Bolivian Rams, 1 Juvenile Super Red BN Plecos, 9 Oto Catfish, 9 Bloodfin Tetras
Plants
Rotala Indica, Cardamine, Crypt Spiralis, Pygmy Chain Swords, Dwarf Sag, Lutea Crypt, Wendtti Bronze and Red, and Floating Frogbit
Cinbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:24 AM   #19
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
Hello Cin...

B

That is neat, imagine the fish must love the roots.
Lia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:14 PM   #20
BBradbury
Wannabe Guru

Default Your Plant in the Vase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinbos View Post
So is this what I have then?
Hello again Cin...

Your plant in the vase isn't a variety of Chinese Evergreen to the best of my knowledge. It looks like a variety of Peace lily. These will work emersed in the tank, but not nearly as well as Aglaonema. I've tried just about all of the land plants sold in the local stores that can grow emersed and "Ags" work the best.

B
Old 01-04-2013, 05:57 PM   #21
folion
Algae Grower

Do y’all thank I could add fertilizers to the tank for this to help growth of the pothos? Something like Seachem Flourish? The plant is growing well but I wouldn't mind faster growth.
folion is offline   Reply With Quote