Tri-State (NY-NJ-CT) LFS [Grading system added] & CO2 directory - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New York

Old 01-03-2013, 07:14 PM   #31
furnfins
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

If you don't live too far it's worth it. There is a large tank of plants, swords,mosses,and quite a few others but not too many rare ones. There was a beautiful red plant, sorry forgot the name and the tank was clean. I am posting 2 more stores both owned by the same person. He said his 8th Ave. store has loads of plants and he's willing to order what you want. You could go to both if you have a car.

Tamco Aquarium and Supply Inc. 6310 Bay Parkway,Brooklyn 718-232-2885(you can walk from King's to this one, maybe 10 minute walk) Tamco had lots of nice cichlids,different tropheous, yellow kribs, some of the largest sword and lyretail swords I've ever seen. Black khuli loaches for 1.99, lots more. Good amount of supplies for planted tanks, supplements,frozen food and more. Saw some very nice cherry barbs and others in the tank sorry can't remember their names right now. No ADA but they had substrate by Caribsea for planted tanks and another brand too. Plenty of saltwater substrate and supplies. Not too many plants here but he said his other store Honey Florist-4804 8th Ave. 718-871-4879 has alot of plants and if there's a group he's willing to order whatever you want. Perhaps someone here knows this store and can add some info, didn't have time to go over there.
furnfins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 07:52 PM   #32
shloken38
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

There is another spot in NJ that is actually on the way to the others, closer to the GWB than Fish Hut and Absolutely Fish. It's small, but I have found things there that helped. They do have some plants as well.

Reef Encounter
504 Hudson Street
Hackensack, NJ 07601
201-229-0555

Also, you can haggle at Absolutely Fish so long as the price doesn't have "net" written next to it.

And Rt. 4 Aquarium gives a 15% discount to TPT members. And Mike will get you anything he can so long as you ask for it. He has hooked me up several times with stock that he normally doesn't keep.
2.5 Gallon - Pea Puffer
5.5 Gallon - RCS, Ghost Shrimp, Ember Tetras, Sparkling Gouramis, Bumble Bee Gobies
10 Gallon - Pure Black Bar Endlers
29 Gallon - Planted Community - Cherry Barbs, Neon Tetras, Various Cory Cats, Albino Bristlenose Pleco
shloken38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:49 PM   #33
furnfins
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm going to be off another week with this dam torn meniscus I might as well
get my bf to drive me to a few of these. Make my own mini tour I keep missing
the group tours.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:56 PM   #34
rozdaboff
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (23/100%)

So I made a Google Map of all of the Pet Stores listed in this thread. It can be found here:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...09b9878cffe7fd

For right now, I haven't allowed open editing of this map - but if anyone would like to help keep the map maintained (hint hint acitydweller) - shoot me your email in a PM and I can add you as a collaborator; collaborators will also be allowed to invite others able to edit the map.

The color scheme is based on the number of smiley faces in the list - and that should probably be updated as people visit them. I visited a handful of the Jersey places a few weeks back - and several were very nice, but I can't remember which is which :

I also added a couple of new ones that weren't on the list:

Franks Aquarium (just posted as Lindenhurst - not home address as it isn't a storefront - so that people can at least see the general area)

Exotic Pet Warehouse, Yonkers, NY
597 Central Park Avenue Yonkers, NY 10704
(914) 963-6557
http://www.exoticpetwarehouse.com/home.htm
Large selection of FW (not a lot of nanofish) and SW - but the place is dirty, tanks not incredibly clean

Zoo-Rama Aquarium
2574 East Tremont Ave.
Bronx, NY 10461

Haven't been there yet, but was recommended by another TPT user, and how can we not include the Bronx
rozdaboff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:48 AM   #35
laqu
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

LOVE THAT MAP... WISH WE COULD ADD ALL THE NJ STORES TO IT... ... sorry for all caps but i am really excited... now i don't have to google map every address every time to see what's near where i'm going.

:biggrin :
1 betta

Here they are http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/al...p?albumid=9625

6 gallon journal
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...208&highlight=

you can see more photos here the 4 8" cubes are on flicker... will get to their journal at some point (they are fun as they change often)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/laq/

webdesign: www.littleowlwebdesign.com
laqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:00 AM   #36
chibikaie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Yaaaay updates!! Even if I just blew a paycheck or two on bunny care supplies and can't go shopping. (You know it's bad when you've bought so much you're not sure how much you spent anymore. -_-;
chibikaie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:18 AM   #37
shloken38
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibikaie View Post
Yaaaay updates!! Even if I just blew a paycheck or two on bunny care supplies and can't go shopping. (You know it's bad when you've bought so much you're not sure how much you spent anymore. -_-;
Ooooohhhh.....yeah. Did that myself today. Hit up 3 of my NJ shops and went nutso on plants, supplies and smokin piece of driftwood. I'm going back out tomorrow! hahaha
2.5 Gallon - Pea Puffer
5.5 Gallon - RCS, Ghost Shrimp, Ember Tetras, Sparkling Gouramis, Bumble Bee Gobies
29 Gallon - Planted Community - Cherry Barbs, Neon Tetras, Various Cory Cats, Albino Bristlenose Pleco
Old 01-06-2013, 01:20 AM   #38
rozdaboff
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (23/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laqu View Post
LOVE THAT MAP... WISH WE COULD ADD ALL THE NJ STORES TO IT... ... sorry for all caps but i am really excited... now i don't have to google map every address every time to see what's near where i'm going.

:biggrin :
I added all of the NJ stores that were already listed in this thread. If there is a more comprehensive list, someone can send it to me - or even better yet, someone from NJ can take the lead and I can add them as a collaborator and they can add them to the map
rozdaboff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:30 AM   #39
ptr
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (21/100%)

Do you guys know about the Petland Discount in Sunnyside / Woodside ? It is completely undocumented, you won't find it with google. Here it is on the map.

They have a rather nice selection of fresh / saltwater fishes. A lot of different cichlids, Salvini, Firemouth, Jack Dempseys, Discus, ... I saw some really nice looking betas too...

They also seem to carry a 1$/gal sale every time I go

Last edited by ptr; 01-06-2013 at 02:31 AM.. Reason: more details...
ptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:45 AM   #40
jcork1
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

This is awesome! P.s.- South Shore Tropicals # is 631-225-6794
jcork1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:04 AM   #41
alipper
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

CT is weak.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:52 AM   #42
furnfins
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Great map, thanks for doing that!!! Make my own little NJ tour plus go to a little burger place up in Clifton, I think it's called White Manna or something, nice
Old 01-06-2013, 12:01 PM   #43
furnfins
Planted Tank Enthusiast

By the way went by Kings Aquarium on 18th Ave., Bklyn yesterday for plants. They had
nothing much this time. Wysteria,some Amazon swords and some moss. I wouldn't make any trips here for plants right now. It was sooo much better a few weeks ago. I'm going to check out Honey Florist in Sunset Park today and Royal Aqua on 65th st.,looking for a nice size plant for the back of my 75g.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:04 PM   #44
shloken38
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I pass by White Mana like once a month! I hear that place is awesome. I think it was on one of those shows on Travel Channel or something. Kazmir's is right near there. Haven't checked out Kazmir's yet, but I hear good things.

Let me know when you are doing the NJ trip. I may be tag along, and I know the routes really well.
2.5 Gallon - Pea Puffer
Old 01-06-2013, 12:08 PM   #45
shloken38
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You better save some space for plants if you're doing an NJ trip! The store in Ridgewood has a bunch of stuff, as does Fishtown in Ramsey. I went crazy buying yesterday.
2.5 Gallon - Pea Puffer