has anyone needed to clean a shrimp tank?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 01-03-2013, 05:30 PM   #1
Bryanmc1988
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (37/100%)

has anyone needed to clean a shrimp tank?

well it seems as when i touch the sand in my shrimp tank it has alot of waste under it... has any one needed to clean their shrimp floor? or they just leave it the way that it is?? should i vac the sand? or should it be ok to just keep it like that....?

i do a 20-50% water change weekly anyways so i'm not sure if all the waste matter's
Bryanmc1988 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 05:47 PM   #2
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (131/100%)

General opinion here is to not try to stir up the waste on the substrate because it can make the ammonia level rise to cause problems.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:47 PM   #3
randyl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

WC is personal preference, I do very minimum. When I do change the water, I "sweep" the bottom but not actually touching the substrate, so the dirty stuff comes up in the water column. I then siphon those dirty stuff out. I only do a small area each time so yeah, I get tons of those dirty stuff in my substrate. No issue so far though.
randyl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 06:11 PM   #4
sbarbee54
The Security Dude

PTrader: (109/100%)

Hell I just gravek vac'ed the heck out of my OEBT tank and NEO yellow tank. To much mulb build up..... I gravel vac'ed the area with a 1" hose ran to a 5 gal bucket. did this 2 times then replaced with my standard remineralized water with a little extra Prime. Worked good also did a large rescape while I was at it. Lost one shrimp I could find. I probably vac 50 babies up. But I had already come to the conculsion that was a give and a acceptable loss to clean the tank. Things happen and you have to be ok with losing shrimp and babies some times
Finnex Pimp #8
sbarbee54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 06:16 PM   #5
Bryanmc1988
Planted Tank Enthusiast

totally know what you mean by baby lost... lol i have alot of plants inside the tank to take care of most of the problems but just wondering if anyone though it was a must... i vac the top but not really into the sand also but i get this brownish algae growth on the glass under the substrate... what can it be?
Old 01-03-2013, 06:29 PM   #6
Betta Maniac
Wanabe BKK Herder

PTrader: (17/100%)

Kosher salt is what people I know in the betta community use. I've used it with many betta with no problems.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:35 PM   #7
The Dude
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)

How are your shrimp doing? I let my tank go on its own for a while (heavily planted and filtered). My shrimp stopped breeding. I basically gutted the tank, did a rescape, cleaned the filter, and changed the water and vacuumed. One week later and I've got 6+ berried.
Member #13

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=678009
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 07:12 PM   #8
Bryanmc1988
Planted Tank Enthusiast

shrimps are doing fine... some saddle just waiting on a berried some time in a month or 2... and salt on shrimps? thats asking for trouble lol... of course bettas are ok as i used to breed them also... but stopped and moved onto shrimps... betta's are really hardy fish but thats for another day this thread is about shrimps...
Old 01-03-2013, 07:22 PM   #9
sbarbee54
The Security Dude

PTrader: (109/100%)

I lost one to the stress and ammonia spike, but I hammer the tank. I even added a extra layer of substrate to it while I was at it. Mine was FSS so I just dumped more in and watchthem scatter
Finnex Pimp #8
sbarbee54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 08:06 PM   #10
Fdsh5
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)

My wife did a major clean on mine while I was gone for the weekend. I can't bear to touch my shrimp tank except for the occasional water change. I don't want to cause a major die off. She didn't kill many though. Just a few casualties she said. My next step is black sand over the gravel so I can spot them easier.
Fdsh5 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 08:28 PM   #11
Simplicity
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have never cleaned my shrimp tank in over a year. Exceptions include water changes and trimming plants ... if you disturb the substrate it spikes ammonia and boom deaths regardless what you do.
Simplicity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #12
Bryanmc1988
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
I have never cleaned my shrimp tank in over a year. Exceptions include water changes and trimming plants ... if you disturb the substrate it spikes ammonia and boom deaths regardless what you do.

dam its like a death trap just waiting to happen then >.< but doesnt having plants help at all?

but so whats this brownish color thing on my glass under the sand? its on the glass, has any one had this before and know what it might be?
Old 01-03-2013, 08:50 PM   #13
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanmc1988 View Post
shrimps are doing fine... some saddle just waiting on a berried some time in a month or 2... and salt on shrimps? thats asking for trouble lol... of course bettas are ok as i used to breed them also... but stopped and moved onto shrimps... betta's are really hardy fish but thats for another day this thread is about shrimps...
I don't know why salt got brought up in this thread in the first place but wanted to state have you ever heard of salt dips for shrimp? They can handle salinity quite well.
ravensgate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 08:59 PM   #14
The Dude
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fdsh5 View Post
My wife did a major clean on mine while I was gone for the weekend. I can't bear to touch my shrimp tank except for the occasional water change. I don't want to cause a major die off. She didn't kill many though. Just a few casualties she said. My next step is black sand over the gravel so I can spot them easier.
I just added 5lbs of Tahitian Moon sand into my 10 gallon shrimp tank. It looks amazing. Once the Bacopa, java moss, and Fissidins fill in its going to look killer
Member #13

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=678009
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 04:44 PM   #15
Bryanmc1988
Planted Tank Enthusiast

ok i also been having this issue about this algae for a while its like every time i do a planted tank with lights... here are some photos i hope some one can help id this and how to fix the issue also...

it seems to start out on the glass in front and under the sand them starts to move up on the glass... check out the photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.