Co2 Help
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 01-03-2013, 01:15 PM   #1
Bolsen27
Algae Grower

PTrader: (14/100%)

Co2 Help

I want to put together a Co2 system for my 55 gallon tank. I am wanting to do a pressurized Co2 system that I am able to turn on and off with the aquarium lighting.

1. Is there a good kit that contains everything I need that isn't too expensive yet made of good quality components?

2. If I decided to buy the parts individually and put together my own system. What exactly do I need? best brands/model/type links appreciated. Specifically I get credits to spend on grainger.com for items from time to time can i get anything from that website that would work? I just don't know enough to sort out exactly what to buy on my own.

My goal is to have a Co2 system for my tank that works well and doesn't cost more then $150-$200. Would love to stay under $100.
Bolsen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 01:22 PM   #2
nvladik
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think most people on this forum will suggest you build your own, as kits (especially if you are looking for something cheap) are not great. There are plenty of threads on this topic, with exact guides of what you need, here's one example from Josh: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...419&highlight=.

There are also plenty of builders on the forum that can build you one to your spec, Oldpunk78, Bettatail, etc.

I build them from time to time and I can tell you for sure grainger is WAAAAAY to expensive on parts. I love grainger, pretty much overnight delivery with ground shipping for me as I am also in NY, but all the little parts are about 25% more then you can find any that will easily eat up the cost of quick shipping you can get elsewhere.

The rest is your call if you want cheap parts, Stainless Steel, ETC.
NIKON pimp #017
Sump pimp #014
nvladik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:55 PM   #3
Bolsen27
Algae Grower

Only mentioned Grainger because I order alot from them for work so my rep form time to time can get me stuff at a deep discount or even free. So I was thinking maybe with that in mind I could save some cash. lol

I will look into the thread you posted and even into maybe having someone build us a rig.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:09 PM   #4
Al Czervik
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Check out Drs. Foster and Smith semi automatic CO2 system for $129. I started running this system after xmas, received it as a gift, and have not had any problems at all. Check out the reviews on the site.
Al Czervik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:23 PM   #5
Bolsen27
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Czervik View Post
Check out Drs. Foster and Smith semi automatic CO2 system for $129. I started running this system after xmas, received it as a gift, and have not had any problems at all. Check out the reviews on the site.
We were looking at that system. Just concerned with getting crappy pieces. So hearing from someone that is using helps.

Some else just recommended some redsea kit that he says works well. I am trying to figure what kit he is talking about.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #6
watercage
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

I'll have a slightly used Red Sea Pro Kit (for regular co2 bottle, not paintball) for sale if you're interested. Probably next week as I am just waiting for 1 part for my new setup.
watercage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #7
Bolsen27
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by watercage View Post
I'll have a slightly used Red Sea Pro Kit (for regular co2 bottle, not paintball) for sale if you're interested. Probably next week as I am just waiting for 1 part for my new setup.
If it is only slightly used then why the new system? Just curious because I don't want to find myself in a situation where I am doing something different in a month.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:36 PM   #8
watercage
Algae Grower

I bought the Pro Kit 3 years ago, it sat in the box until this past November when I actually started up my tank.

I switched to a Cerges reactor so I stopped using the little pump it came with for diffusion.

Then, I got tired of always having to be home to turn the co2 off/on (some people just leave it on 24/7, i preferred not to) so I wanted to get a solenoid setup that could be used on a timer or ph controller. In my search for that, I ended up finding a high end dual regulator with needle valve for a good price.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:39 PM   #9
Bolsen27
Algae Grower

Quote:
I bought the Pro Kit 3 years ago, it sat in the box until this past November when I actually started up my tank.

I switched to a Cerges reactor so I stopped using the little pump it came with for diffusion.

Then, I got tired of always having to be home to turn the co2 off/on (some people just leave it on 24/7, i preferred not to) so I wanted to get a solenoid setup that could be used on a timer or ph controller. In my search for that, I ended up finding a high end dual regulator with needle valve for a good price.
Glad I asked because a solenoid is a definite must for what ever we do. I want the Co2 to only run when the lights are on in the tank.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:45 PM   #10
watercage
Algae Grower

I dont think you'll be able to get a quality setup with solenoid for under $100

The solenoid itself is about $40
The metering valve is about $30
Bubble Counter is $20

Then you have to find a power adapter for the solenoid, check valves, not to mention the regulator which is by far the biggest expense.

Oh, and the bottle.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #11
Bolsen27
Algae Grower

Quote:
I dont think you'll be able to get a quality setup with solenoid for under $100

The solenoid itself is about $40
The metering valve is about $30
Bubble Counter is $20

Then you have to find a power adapter for the solenoid, check valves, not to mention the regulator which is by far the biggest expense.

Oh, and the bottle.
So $100 is out. What is more realistic?
Old 01-03-2013, 06:31 PM   #12
Paxx
Algae Grower

I did what you want to do last month for my 55g planted Discus tank. After helpful advice from this forum, and research on my own I went with a regulator and drop checker/ferts from GLA, and bought the co2 tank locally.

You're going to need to spend about $400+/- if you want a nice semi-auto system built out of quality parts. About $200 for the regulator/chk valve/bubble counter/needle valve/solenoid (GLA), $125 for a 5 or 10 lb co2 tank (full, refills about $20 for a 10#), $10 - $30 for a diffuser of some sort, $10 for a timer, and about $20 - $50 for a drop checker.

Of course if you have the time to research the name brand parts and assemble everything on your own expect to pay less. There are also several people on this forum who assemble and sell such systems, ask around.

You've probably used DIY for your 55 in the past and it wasn't working out so well? Spend the money, you won't regret it. I don't.
Paxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:46 PM   #13
nvladik
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Some of the parts:

aquariumplants dot com - 10# co2 tank 78.99 + 9 shipping. and can get it filled in NY area for about $15.

Used dual stage reg fleabay - about 50-70, going up to 90 in SS.

Metering valve: fleabay item 130826038816 - 29 shipped

Check-valve: depends what you want, Swagelok SS can run up to $30, but a $8 will do the job.

Drop checker shouldn't be more then $10.
NIKON pimp #017
Sump pimp #014
nvladik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:31 PM   #14
Bettatail
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (87/98%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxx View Post
I did what you want to do last month for my 55g planted Discus tank. After helpful advice from this forum, and research on my own I went with a regulator and drop checker/ferts from GLA, and bought the co2 tank locally.

You're going to need to spend about $400+/- if you want a nice semi-auto system built out of quality parts. About $200 for the regulator/chk valve/bubble counter/needle valve/solenoid (GLA), $125 for a 5 or 10 lb co2 tank (full, refills about $20 for a 10#), $10 - $30 for a diffuser of some sort, $10 for a timer, and about $20 - $50 for a drop checker.

Of course if you have the time to research the name brand parts and assemble everything on your own expect to pay less. There are also several people on this forum who assemble and sell such systems, ask around.

You've probably used DIY for your 55 in the past and it wasn't working out so well? Spend the money, you won't regret it. I don't.
what do you think about this one, per GLA standard what is the proper price range for this system?
all parts are new.
Cornelius co2 regulator with protection guard, slightly better than taprite, imo
Clippard mouse extreme low power consumption solenoid, 0.67watts, 1 billion officially on/off cycle life.
SMC AS1200 needle valve(in picture is the older version), it is the 1000 series, lower flow rate than the 2000 series which is the one you see on ADA co2 system.

Bettatail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:47 PM   #15
Paxx
Algae Grower

I'm not qualified to judge regulator particulars for the home aquarium. My 25 year forte is reef 'centric and this is my first go at pressurized co2 for freshwater planted. That said, I'm happy with the GLA setup and it is functioning pretty well so far. A year from now ask me again and I'll let ya know.

The stage was set ... time was all that was left to do. We put the kettle on too boil.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sands.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	60809  

Paxx is offline   Reply With Quote