Aqueon Evolve 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 01-03-2013, 11:48 AM   #1
tmcpherson301
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Aqueon Evolve 2

So this is my first real attempt at creating a planted tank and I really know very little.

I'm going to use an aqueon evolve 2 and just stick with it stock so no other lights no CO2 and no fertilizer. I plan to use just regular garden soil with some generic aquarium gravel over top because this seems like the thing to do from my browsing this site.

I'm curious what plants the stock LED's and this setup will be able to support. I'm hoping this lighting would support some dwarf hair grass and help it thrive as I find this an attractive plant for my decorating plan. If not what are other plant options this setup can support?

Also my eventual goal is to add 3-4 RCS

Thank you in advance for all help.

Successor to More Fun in a 2.5:

College is over 2.5: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=635386
tmcpherson301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 12:35 PM   #2
tiggity
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Very doable

I have an Evolve 8 dirted and the plants are doing great with the stock light (Crypts, Bacopa, L. Repens)

No ferts, no CO2, only WC's and top offs.

40B Dirt | Aqueon Evolve 8 Dirt | Fraternity of Dirt #120

Last edited by tiggity; 01-03-2013 at 12:49 PM.. Reason: edit
tiggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:44 PM   #3
tmcpherson301
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

So dwarf hair grass would grow in this? And assuming so how would I get it to spread to carpet the entire bottom of the tank? The only places I've seen it for sale have it potted should I know anything when I remove it from th pot and stick it in the substrate? Is there anything special I need to know in general? Also being the impatient person I am how lOng would it take to grow a large amount or rather what is the growth rate on such a plant?

I really appreciate all the help I can get and if I'm being redundant just let me know and point me to sources to read.

Successor to More Fun in a 2.5:

College is over 2.5: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=635386
tmcpherson301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:43 PM   #4
tiggity
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

I don't have experience with dwarf hair grass, but I'm guessing you'll need higher light for it to thrive and spread.
40B Dirt | Aqueon Evolve 8 Dirt | Fraternity of Dirt #120
tiggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:09 PM   #5
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

Here is my Evolve 4. I have Anubias barteri 'Micro', Eleocharis belem, and Myriophyllum mattogrossense living in it. I say "living" because the DHG 'Belem' isn't really growing. I have found that in a light level this low, DHG will do nothing. It won't die, but it won't grow at any notable rate. The DHG you see in the photo, was all planted by me, I planted it super dense to begin with. I don't think you would be able to have a full carper of DHG in this tank. If you use it like I did, as small accents, and know it wont spread at all, you could do that.

DSC_0068.jpg by orchidman-10, on Flickr

You can see more in my journal. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...=188790&page=9
orchidman is online now   Reply With Quote