Looking to Add Color
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 01-02-2013, 10:40 PM   #1
MrKitty27
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lightbulb

Looking to Add Color

Hello TPT!

Well, I'm starting to add more plants to my 55g tall, but I'm looking for something that will add some color. It seems like most aquarium plants are green, and I've seen some red out there, but is there anything else?

I would like to also start to fill in the back, and don't really know where to start or even what I want / need. I was also wondering about current, and how that can be manipulated so that the plants won't look like there getting blown to one side of the aquarium. I'm looking into a DIY wet/dry, so I can change the current however I need to at this point.

Thanks for the advice!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0175.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	60590  

Name:	IMG_0176.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	60592  

Name:	IMG_0177.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	60594  

MrKitty27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 04:14 AM   #2
concepts88
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

Taller stem plants??
Nikon Pimp #82
concepts88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:27 AM   #3
MrKitty27
Algae Grower

That was the idea, was looking for a suggestion on something.
MrKitty27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:33 AM   #4
manzpants92
Planted Member

Your really not going to anything different than red and green plants. I would add taller plants in back and that will bring things together for you
manzpants92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:00 AM   #5
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

There is a golden stem plant, Nesaea pedicellata golden but it might not be an easy plant. I know I failed at a similar species with amazing salmon colored leaves, Ammania something or another. Could have been a Nesaea, thing just appeared in the tank to torture me.

Look into Crypts. They come in infinite variety and one of the easiest, C. wendtii, has many colored varieties.

We may call stems 'red' but the colors vary a great deal. Some are more purple, others more orange.

A couple of durable red stems are Rotala rotundifolia, Ludwigia 'Red' and Alternanthera reineckii. Rotala tends to be pink, Ludwigia tends to be more maroon and I haven't grown Alternanthera.

Lotuses [really water lilies] are colorful if you want a potential tank buster.

You want to see color, check out crazydaz's tank and Plantbrain's 120 sort of Dutch tank. Not saying get those plants but you might like to see the variation in color planted tanks can have.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=192640
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=149265
Old 01-03-2013, 12:15 PM   #6
n00dl3
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (91/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
There is a golden stem plant, Nesaea pedicellata golden but it might not be an easy plant. I know I failed at a similar species with amazing salmon colored leaves, Ammania something or another. Could have been a Nesaea, thing just appeared in the tank to torture me.

Look into Crypts. They come in infinite variety and one of the easiest, C. wendtii, has many colored varieties.

We may call stems 'red' but the colors vary a great deal. Some are more purple, others more orange.

A couple of durable red stems are Rotala rotundifolia, Ludwigia 'Red' and Alternanthera reineckii. Rotala tends to be pink, Ludwigia tends to be more maroon and I haven't grown Alternanthera.

Lotuses [really water lilies] are colorful if you want a potential tank buster.

You want to see color, check out crazydaz's tank and Plantbrain's 120 sort of Dutch tank. Not saying get those plants but you might like to see the variation in color planted tanks can have.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=192640
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=149265
1+ if you go with pressurized co2 your plants selection will be much more. But without co2, you'll be limited to your plants selection. crazydaz and plantbrain tank's are both pressurized co2. Like Kathyy said above, these two threads will show the ranges of planted tank. Also some of the plants that they have can be very pricey....
n00dl3 is offline   Reply With Quote