Anyone tried Zoo Med Reptisand?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 08-31-2010, 01:39 AM   #1
Baadboy11
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)

Anyone tried Zoo Med Reptisand?

Just saw this in Petco, looks like nice cheap fine grain sand, anyone use it? Suppose its safe for the fish or softbelly safe?

http://www.zoomed.com/db/products/En...M6MToiMCI7fQ==
Baadboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2010, 01:55 AM   #2
NickS
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Not sure about this, but doesn't reptile sand have calcium added into it?

"I am rarely happier than when spending an entire day programming my computer to perform automatically a task that it would otherwise take me a good ten seconds to do by hand." DOUGLAS ADAMS, WRITER
NickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:56 AM   #3
williamsonaaron
Planted Tank Obsessed

yes I have it in two tanks.

Wash it really really really well..... or your tank will turn blue for about ten water changes.

just when you think your done washing it... wash it some more

but it looks good underwater and as a substrate... and I have corries in both tanks and all have full barbels... so its safe for them too..

I bury root tabs in mine and that works well for swords and other rooted plants.
williamsonaaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:07 AM   #4
Baadboy11
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsonaaron View Post
yes I have it in two tanks.

Wash it really really really well..... or your tank will turn blue for about ten water changes.

just when you think your done washing it... wash it some more

but it looks good underwater and as a substrate... and I have corries in both tanks and all have full barbels... so its safe for them too..

I bury root tabs in mine and that works well for swords and other rooted plants.
That sir is what I wanted to hear! Is it super fine? Or does it stay on the bottom pretty well.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:12 AM   #5
RipariumGuy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

I don't think you should use it. Dr. Foster and Smith had this in the description, and it makes it sound as though there is calcium in the Reptisand. Which, is obviously bad for most fish.

•Offer a dish of vitamin/calcium powder to prevent over-consumption of sand in substrate-consuming reptiles.
Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
RipariumGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:31 AM   #6
Baadboy11
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeJ View Post
I don't think you should use it. Dr. Foster and Smith had this in the description, and it makes it sound as though there is calcium in the Reptisand. Which, is obviously bad for most fish.

•Offer a dish of vitamin/calcium powder to prevent over-consumption of sand in substrate-consuming reptiles.
I was worried about that too, but some other sources say its just quartz with no calcium...so not sure?
Old 08-31-2010, 04:02 AM   #7
lnstevens
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeJ View Post

The word "over consumption" is the give away here. The sand probably has nothing in it, so substrate-consuming reptiles will eat and eat looking for what is missing. Which is why offering the vitamina/calcium powder to fill that gap.
lnstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:54 PM   #8
Baadboy11
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnstevens View Post
The word "over consumption" is the give away here. The sand probably has nothing in it, so substrate-consuming reptiles will eat and eat looking for what is missing. Which is why offering the vitamina/calcium powder to fill that gap.
Yeah thats a good point.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:37 PM   #9
williamsonaaron
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baadboy11 View Post
That sir is what I wanted to hear! Is it super fine? Or does it stay on the bottom pretty well.

it stays on the bottom pretty well and I wouldn't call it super fine.. I would say its medium grit but closer to corse than fine. For the first couple weeks you will likely see some sand on your plant leaves etc and a little bit moving around but once it settles its all good - unless you plan on having the filter out take flowing directly at the sand.

Also plants seem to like it... if I have trouble with a plant in the gravel side of the tank I move it to the sand side and it almost always does better.
williamsonaaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:33 AM   #10
kal_daka87
Algae Grower

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to give some clarification regarding calcium in the sand. ZooMed makes 2 kinds of sand. Reptisand which comes in White, Black and Red, and Vitasand wich comes in an assortment of colours.

Reptisand is pure natural quartz sand. There are no colours or vitamins (calcium) added. It is inert, if a bit dusty. It is the Vitasand that has all the calcium in it. It also has dyes added.

There are a few other substrates made by zoomed for reptiles, but only the reptisand is aquarium safe.
kal_daka87 is offline   Reply With Quote