Tharsis' two tank set-up: a DIY adventure
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-03-2013, 03:10 AM   #1
tharsis
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Tharsis' two tank set-up: a DIY adventure

This will be my first thread documented from the ground up and it will likely be rather slow going me thinks. It will be heavily geared towards DIY.

I took down my mish-mash tank (It was starting to get kind-of messy) and my saltwater tank (it was going to cost too much money to get it just the way I wanted it) and the plan is to link them both to a single sump.

So this is what I am starting with:

The tank on the left will be my main display tank and the one on the right will end up being a grow out tank for various plants.

The main tank has an eschopps nano overflow which will drain into the left part of the sump. This tank will be lit with an odyssea 4 bulb fixture with 3w LED accent lights.

I plan on making a styrofoam background for this tank.
Here are my materials for the background and hardscape. I am thinking of carving out a root system as opposed to a rock background but I am still playing around with ideas.

And here is my grow out tank:
It is a derimmed 20Long with a DIY LED fixture (aquastyle 3w DIY kit)
I plan on building my own HOB overflow for this tank out of plexiglass, and it will be based on the eschopps design. Right now it is a bowl of plants but I will loosely scape it and use it to grow out plants.

This tank will drain into the right side of the sump, and the return will be from the middle chamber.

I siliconed plexiglass to make the baffles in the 20L...it was an ugly job but it has been working great. I used it in my SW tank with good results.

And...here is my beardie:

So my next tasks will be to:

1)scape the grow out tank
2)build a HOB overflow for the tank
3)connect the plumbing to the sump
4)Start the background for the 25 gallon tall

lots to do... thanks for looking!

Last edited by tharsis; 01-03-2013 at 04:32 AM.. Reason: a
tharsis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2014, 03:00 AM   #2
Trail_Mix
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Any progress? I'm curious how everything came out! I love the juxtaposition of the dimensions of these two tanks, it's really unique, and I am always an approver of diy projects, oh and your lizard!
Trail_Mix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.