T5HO lamp in T5NO fixture?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 01-01-2013, 03:34 PM   #1
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Question

T5HO lamp in T5NO fixture?

I am thinking of getting a T5HO lamp to go into T5NO fixture, for it is cheaper that the T5NO lamps at Pet Smart. Will it work?
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 03:40 PM   #2
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)

Hi Hilde,

Regrettably the short answer is 'no'. I'm not 100% sure if bulb length and pin location (separation) are similar or not - but most importantly the ballast in the NO fixture is not compatible with the HO lamp.

Seattle_Aquarist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
accordztech
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

There is a few ballast that can run both . Catalina aquarium light fixtures can. The pin setup will be the same. Try to see if it works.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:01 AM   #4
Adam T
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

It works fine... just dont run a N.O. lamp in a high output fixture.
Adam T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:10 AM   #5
DanSanDiego
Algae Grower

I have a dual T5NO fixture. After doing some research I found F14T5 bulbs Daylight 6500K (the F14 refers to 14 watts) at buylighting.com for $7.95ea. Shipping is about $7.00. I bought three. I am quite happy with the bulbs. They are "energy wiser" brand. We will see how long they last.
I was also happy with how the bulbs were shipped.....I have never ordered light bulbs online before....I was sure something would come broken! Everything came through fine. =)
DanSanDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:41 AM   #6
accordztech
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam T View Post
It works fine... just dont run a N.O. lamp in a high output fixture.
I have done it...but only with catalina aquarium ballasts, the light is much brighter in terms of lumens. He probably would have to take the unit apart and research the ballast to see if it can do it.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:29 PM   #7
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSanDiego View Post
I have a dual T5NO fixture. After doing some research I found F14T5 bulbs Daylight 6500K (the F14 refers to 14 watts) at buylighting.com for $7.95ea. Shipping is about $7.00. I bought three.
That is a good buy. What is the wattage of the original bulb? What is the exact length. Found in Home Depot some bulbs are .25 in off listed size.

The bulb I was looking at for my Coralife T5NO, which uses 18w bulbs, is a Coralife T5HO bulb, which is 31w. It is listed at LNT for 12.68 with no shipment fee. For website I had planned to purchase bulbs from, Pet Blvd, seemed to be closed down. It is up again, though. The price of T5NO 18watt bulbs has increased though. Thus going to check out buylighting. Thanks for the info
Old 01-02-2013, 07:25 PM   #8
Algae Beater
Planted Tank Obsessed

T5HO bulbs to the best of my knowledge will work in most NO fixtures.
Algae Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:37 PM   #9
dbosman@msu.edu
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

I have both T5HO and T5NO fixtures.
I keep only T5HO lamps on hand. (As the ballasts die, I'm installing LEDs in the fixtures)

Electronic ballasts effectively read the electrical characteristics of the lamp and adjust to that lamp. Most, but not all, electronic ballasts can handle a variety of lamps and lamp types. Some, much better than others.

In my experience, and based on observation - not measurements - T5HO lamps in a T5NO fixture run a bit brighter than the T5NO they were intended for, but less bright than in a T5HO fixture.
T5NO will run in a T5HO fixture, and a bit brighter than in a T5NO fixture. They are slightly over driven and lamp life is shorter, but you should change them before they burn out anyway.

If you need or wish to stock up on 27w or 54w T5HO lamps, check out your local hydroponics shop. They sell more daylight lamps in a month than a fish store will sell in several years. Prices can be very good.
dbosman@msu.edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:02 AM   #10
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbosman@msu.edu View Post
As the ballasts die, I'm installing LEDs in the fixtures
I hope you make a thread on it. Are using drivers for the LEDs?