Tall Tank Lighting Challenge
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 12-29-2012, 08:38 PM   #1
fjord
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

Tall Tank Lighting Challenge

I recently acquired a Marlineland 47 Column Tank. The dimensions are 20" w. x 18" d. x 31" h. I was fascinated with the the smaller footprint and the height, and want to use it for a planted tank. My previous tanks, not quite as tall, had plants over growing the height and leaning sideways.

I'm having a hard time finding a 20" long fixture for the tank that will produce enough light for the depth. Current-USA has the 6 bulb T5HO which is designed for reef tanks, and a bulb change may adapt it well. There are also a few metal halide options. Other than that most options are for a 24" fixture, which I'd prefer to not use. I'd prefer a 4 bulb T5HO with LED moonlighting. Can anyone please make a suggestion for an appropriate light fixture for this tank?

Happy New Year!
fjord is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 10:06 PM   #2
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

AquaLife has 20" fixtures with 4 bulbs. A 48" fixture provides close to 70 PAR at 35" according to the stickied thread, I am sure you would have far more light than you can use with a 24" fixture and it has lunar lights included.
http://aquaticlife.com/shopping/four...p-2-lunar.html
Old 12-30-2012, 03:31 AM   #3
fjord
Algae Grower

Default Thank you!

I'm not familiar with this fixture or company. It appears to be exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you for the recommendation!
Old 12-30-2012, 03:36 AM   #4
BriDroid
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

The only thing that I see with that fixture is the bulb size. Is an 18" T5HO bulb readily available? Your options might be limited?

You could always do a MH, just get a 6500K bulb instead of a 14000K reef bulb? Then you get that awesome MH shimmer as well!
BriDroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:52 PM   #5
fjord
Algae Grower

Default MH or T5

I've considered MH, but have a lot of questions about them. I don't want to hang a MH over the tank, and would prefer it be supported by legs. So my biggest concern is heat. Don't MH produce a lot of heat? Are they too hot to position over a glass canopy top?

I might be making a mountain out of a mole hill regarding the 20" fixture. Bulbs are available, but don't appear to be common. If I selected a 24" fixture, bulbs for that size are available everywhere. Would it look stupid to have 2" protruding from each side of the top with a 24" fixture over a 20" tank? I could probably live with it.

BTW, I really do like the Aquatic Life fixtures. Thanks for your comments.

Mike

Last edited by fjord; 01-01-2013 at 11:58 PM.. Reason: add to
Old 01-02-2013, 08:46 PM   #6
jamntoast
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

i had a similar issue with my tank which was a 20" hex tank. what i ended up doing was making a diy light with a big metal feed bowl as a reflector and i put in 3 regular light sockets and put compact floresecent grow lights in them, the spiral kind. i only put in 3 but i could have fit 3 more if i wanted to have higher light.

here is a shot of some of the supplies

and here it is set up, sorry it's sideways.
jamntoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:48 AM   #7
fjord
Algae Grower

Default Wow

That's ingenious! Thanks!
Old 03-14-2013, 07:44 PM   #8
Vincebus
Algae Grower

Been looking for budget lighting for my 45gal Oceanic hex and the DIY light looks like it works real nice! Much better than my 20" led marineland light bar is doing... My plants are green/brown and nothing is perking them up. They just seem to be surviving. That is going to be my next project, thanks jamntoast!
Vincebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:32 PM   #9
homemadepopcorn
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/100%)

Have you considered LEDs with narrow optics? They are point sources so penetration is better as long as the light isn't dispersed. The only problem there is that you would have to have a lot of LEDs to ensure proper overlap if light and coverage of the substrate.
homemadepopcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:43 AM   #10
Vincebus
Algae Grower

Wasn't aware there were narrow optic LEDs... Any suggestions on where to research, purchase something like that? Always open to new ideas.
Vincebus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
20" light, 47 column, tall tank