Hawaii residents
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 01-01-2013, 08:41 PM   #1
fishkeeper01
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hawaii residents

Hi sorry for those of you not from hawaii, this question is not meant to be discriminatory. So for my fellow members who are from hawaii I have a question, regarding sand. I wanted to use sand in my lake malawi tank. Now i've checked home depot, city mill, and lowe's, does anyone know where i can get play sand or pool filter sand because i used the coral sand that i saw all three stores selling and it was a bad experience. The particles were so fine that it made the water extremely murky. Now i have used the artificial sand the lfs sell, but as we know it's really expensive, and my tank is 45g. If anyone can help me i would really appreciate it thanks.
fishkeeper01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #2
nokturnalkid
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)

Not sure what island you are from but try Mr. Sandman in mapunapuna. They deal with sandblasting and pool supplies. I used to get 3m colorquartz and pfs from them. Might wanna check and see if they have any old stock still left. The 3m cq has been discontinued for a few years but I bought some about 2yrs ago and they said they still had pallets of the stuff.
nokturnalkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:03 PM   #3
milesm
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

if you are on oahu, give mr sandman a call; they're located in the mapunapuna area. they sell lapis lustre blasting sand, about $25 for 50lbs. google lapis lustre to see the various grain sizes they have. i use the #3. i'm sure you can find a grain size similar to the play sand. some batches have calcium carbonate looking bits in it, but no issue for you since it'll be going in with your malawis. some lfs repackage this same stuff and sell it for twice the price.

Last edited by milesm; 01-01-2013 at 09:04 PM.. Reason: phantom post
milesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:09 PM   #4
fishkeeper01
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

was rinsing it out a problem? Also is it dense enough so that when i rinse it the sand won't just float everywhere? Also what's there #?
fishkeeper01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:22 PM   #5
milesm
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

no problems rinsing it out; it should be rinsed. it sinks immediately unlike turface or pfs. regarding there (sic) phone number, may i suggest the telephone directory or calling 411? or google?
milesm is offline   Reply With Quote