How does this look?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 01-02-2013, 06:34 PM   #1
chevyguy8893
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

How does this look?

This tank has only been set up for a few days now, and it is still slightly cloudy and a work in progress (the plants behind the heater are just there to take up nitrates more and not permanent). Anyway, I am working on getting all my plants placed in a decent layout. At the moment I don't have any other ideas for a hardscape. I am just curious as to what the thoughts are on the current layout. Also, I have a bunch of echinodorus bolivianus that I am trying to figure out where it could go, if anywhere. I am pretty well set on the location of the plants in the right and left corners, but the middle section is still up in the air as to what I could do.

For the foreground in the middle, if I move my lone erio, I was thinking of DHG belem. I am planning on moving the ammania forward more. I have a lot of stems of emersed alternanthera reineckii 'cardinalis' that could be worked in somewhere. I am at a loss since I have never put too much thought into where my plants go, but I don't want to be uprooting things in the future. Any input is appreciated, thanks.

chevyguy8893 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 06:20 AM   #2
synaethetic
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

A nice start, once the plants get taller you can use the trimmed off tops to add more form and shape by planting them according to your liking. No hardscape isn't always an issue, the dutch style is very appealing in my opinion.

Are you running C02? Ferts?
synaethetic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 03:41 PM   #3
chevyguy8893
Planted Member

Thanks for the input. That would work out well since I have left open space in front of the plants, so there is area for trimmings. I do like dutch style tanks, but I didn't actually know what it consisted of till now. Being a 29 gallon tank, I haven't found much driftwood that would work well.

I am running pressurized CO2 and EI dosing KNO3, KH2PO4, K2SO4, CSM+B, and iron. The plants seem to be adjusting well to the new tank. The light is an aquaticlife dual 48 watt T5HO.

I tried out the chain swords in the front right and it doesn't seem to look too bad. Under this light it has stayed shorter than normal, or I could be doing something wrong. Sorry, it is still cloudy.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:33 PM   #4
CoffeeLove
Planted Tank Obsessed

I like it, but I think it needs a focal point.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
CoffeeLove is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 07:46 PM   #5
RyUGuy
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeLove View Post
I like it, but I think it needs a focal point.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I agree, maybe a piece of wood or a nice rock off centered to about 1/3 of the tank to either side.
RyUGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 08:10 PM   #6
Lagarb
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

He'd said he was having issues finding wood, not sure about stone.
If you stick with a dutch style, a nice red or a deep green would look good IMO
Lagarb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 08:49 PM   #7
chevyguy8893
Planted Member

I have been trying to find some sort of stone that doesn't cost a ridiculous amount of money and would look right. My other three tanks have driftwood in them, so I guess I should say that I am trying to go for something different. With the available space in the 29 gallon I am kinda limited. However, I do have some japanese maple that I am preparing for aquarium use, so that may work somehow.

I did just buy some Ludwigia senegalensis for a midground plant, Ludwigia Inclinata Pantanal to replace the dark purple cabomba, Rotala Macarandra Variegated to work in elsewhere, and another erio so I can add to the foreground in time.

I am liking the idea of staying with a dutch style the more I see them. This is slightly embarrassing, but I cannot figure out how the plant growth looks so healthy with the plants grouped really close together, unless it is just an illusion. So, it probably won't look as good though compared to the pictures I have looked at. If I follow the dutch style I don't know how well the chain sword would work. Any ideas on a low lying foreground carpet, or would the erios work out as I propagate them over time? Thanks for the ideas so far!
Old 01-05-2013, 06:02 PM   #8
RyUGuy
Algae Grower

Ah sorry, I missed that about the wood.
RyUGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.