3 canister filters and 2 intakes.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 01-02-2013, 03:31 AM   #1
teonguyen
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

3 canister filters and 2 intakes.

Hi everyone,

I am about to move everything in my 55 to 180 and was thinking about using 3 x 2217's connecting to 2 intakes. Are there any problems if I use 2 intakes with 3 canisters ? I still use 3 spraybars.

I made this fitting with the 2 above will connect to the intake tubes and the 3 tubes below will connect to the canisters' intakes.

Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0991.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	60542  

Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 03:47 AM   #2
accordztech
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Id use a barb fitting from the sprinkler section at home depot to connect the green pipe. But I would assume that you need a wider intake to support 3 filters. Maybe a 1'' then drop down to the size you need....
Old 01-02-2013, 03:51 AM   #3
niko
Planted Member

PTrader: (25/100%)

1. The 2 intakes that suck the water have a total diameter that is smaller than the 3 pipes connected to the green hoses. Theoretically this may result in a slightly reduced filter output because the filters are not getting enough water supply as they are supposed to. Will this actually happen I do not know.

2. The green hose connected to the vertical pipe will get more flow for sure because of the lack of a 90 degree fitting.

3. What will happen if you stop one of the filters? Will the other 2 suck water out of it a little bit (dirty water)?

Those 3 are possible issues. But what I do know for sure is that this size PVC allows for a pretty slow flow. I think you need larger size PVC. The filter should always be fed through a hose that is larger size than the output hose. So don't make at least the simple mistake of reducing the inflow diameter.

And there is something else. Not sure if you want to get into questions why I mention it. A spraybar is not the best way to return the water in the tank. Look at the ADA tanks - tanks up to certain size always have one output shooting water along the front glass. Larger tanks have 2 outputs. But never a spraybar. A spraybar seems like a great idea but it is not the best.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:19 AM   #4
teonguyen
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko View Post
1. The 2 intakes that suck the water have a total diameter that is smaller than the 3 pipes connected to the green hoses. Theoretically this may result in a slightly reduced filter output because the filters are not getting enough water supply as they are supposed to. Will this actually happen I do not know.

2. The green hose connected to the vertical pipe will get more flow for sure because of the lack of a 90 degree fitting.

3. What will happen if you stop one of the filters? Will the other 2 suck water out of it a little bit (dirty water)?

Those 3 are possible issues. But what I do know for sure is that this size PVC allows for a pretty slow flow. I think you need larger size PVC. The filter should always be fed through a hose that is larger size than the output hose. So don't make at least the simple mistake of reducing the inflow diameter.

And there is something else. Not sure if you want to get into questions why I mention it. A spraybar is not the best way to return the water in the tank. Look at the ADA tanks - tanks up to certain size always have one output shooting water along the front glass. Larger tanks have 2 outputs. But never a spraybar. A spraybar seems like a great idea but it is not the best.
It sounds complicated than I thought. Maybe I should just stick to the original ways and use 2 filters for now.
Since I run 1 external heaters and 18" DIY CO2 reactor on 1 filter, I worry that they may greatly reduce the flow.

Thanks,
Old 01-02-2013, 05:42 AM   #5
steven p
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Run 2 in-line and the other seperate?
Old 01-02-2013, 01:23 PM   #6
flc
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Any plans for mixing the inflow, or is your setup using volume and pressure to select the mix?

Last edited by flc; 01-02-2013 at 01:23 PM.. Reason: I has good grammarr
flc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:33 PM   #7
teonguyen
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by flc View Post
Any plans for mixing the inflow, or is your setup using volume and pressure to select the mix?
My plan is to keep less the equipments inside the tank. Not sure about the volume and pressure when mixing the intakes. I can run 3 separate filters but hate to add 1 more intake tube.

Last edited by teonguyen; 01-02-2013 at 01:44 PM.. Reason: a
teonguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:45 PM   #8
fishykid1
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teonguyen View Post
My plan is to keep less the equipments inside the tank Not sure about the volume and pressure when mixing the intakes. I can run 3 separate filters but hate to add 1 more intake tube.
Best bet especially if you're worried about the intake tube is to do a sump. That is if you have a overflow/overflow box. But I would not 'daisy chain' them unless the pipe diameter for the intake of the filters was larger
fishykid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:22 PM   #9
teonguyen
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishykid1 View Post
Best bet especially if you're worried about the intake tube is to do a sump. That is if you have a overflow/overflow box. But I would not 'daisy chain' them unless the pipe diameter for the intake of the filters was larger
I regret not to have the tank drilled when they were still making it. Now everything is in place and this tank is super heavy plus I may spend more for sump setup. I would take the economic approach to save some money since I have everything readily available. Thanks for educating me on this subject, I did some math last night. I need at least 1" ID tubes to connect them.

I don't know if I run 1 GLA inline diffuser would it provide enough CO2 for this size ? My DIY Reactor is too long and I would I have to run it separately on 1 filter if I want that approach.

Last edited by teonguyen; 01-02-2013 at 03:00 PM.. Reason: b
teonguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:56 PM   #10
fishykid1
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teonguyen View Post
I regret not to have the tank drilled when they were still making it. Now everything is in place and this tank is super heavy plus I may spend more for sump setup. I would take the economic approach to save some money since I have everything readily available. Thanks for educating me on this subject, I did some math last night. I need at least 1" ID tubes to connect them.

I don't know if I run 1 GLA inline diffuser would it provide enough CO2 for this size ? My DIY Reactor is too long and I would I have to run it separately on 1 filter if I want that approach.
Sounds fair enough, I don't think that GLA diffuser will be enough, but you never know. I have a feeling you'd be pushing it past what it was meant for (size of tank at least) but it could be done as anything can with work.
fishykid1 is offline   Reply With Quote