Help on simple idea
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 12-15-2012, 08:07 AM   #1
falseantidote
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Help on simple idea

Hello all,

I am wanting to start a planted tank and want to start really really simple (confidence booster) and move forward from there. I have a few questions that I need help with in order to judge if I should even attempt to get into planted tanks.

I have a simple ten gallon tank I want to convert. I am envisioning white sand (really want to stick with white sand if possible) with just one simple log or a few semi-large rocks sitting on the sand in the background. In the foreground I want a lush carpet like look of plants.

The picture might look something like this I found in the gallery here:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/im...y/pg_1831e.jpg

^ Rocks arranged somewhat like that or a simple driftwood with white sand like so.

And for the carpet like plants maybe something like these:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pG...er=None&page=1

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pG...er=None&page=6

Unless there is something even easier to use. Basically really simple like this and then I would add plants in individually much later on when I get the hang of things.

What do you guys think?
falseantidote is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2012, 08:17 AM   #2
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Take a look in your equipment thread for my comments. I didn't want to cross post.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:31 AM   #3
falseantidote
Algae Grower

Thanks for your replies. Not sure if I should have created one thread to cover all this ground, or create these multiple threads to be specific to each particular subject I wanted to ask questions about... But anyway....any thoughts on using white sand as a base? Is it possible? Hard? Effective? Even possible to grow plants on just sand?
Old 12-15-2012, 05:27 PM   #4
Darkblade48

Quote:
Originally Posted by falseantidote View Post
Thanks for your replies. Not sure if I should have created one thread to cover all this ground, or create these multiple threads to be specific to each particular subject I wanted to ask questions about... But anyway....any thoughts on using white sand as a base? Is it possible? Hard? Effective? Even possible to grow plants on just sand?
I think it's fine to start multiple threads, as long as each has its own, distinct topic.

Inevitably, there will be some overlap, but oh well.

For white sand as base, I think there shouldn't be any problem. The only thing to watch out for is that it is essentially inert, and does not have any nutrients for plants (so if you decide to go medium/high light, you will need to dose the water column and perhaps use root tabs if you have heavy root feeders).

It is very possible to grow plants in sand.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:34 PM   #5
falseantidote
Algae Grower

Pefect,that is just what I needed to know. So do I need substrates underneath the sand if i am going with low-light plants? Or should just sand be enough for those low light plants?
Old 12-15-2012, 07:37 PM   #6
Darkblade48

Quote:
Pefect,that is just what I needed to know. So do I need substrates underneath the sand if i am going with low-light plants? Or should just sand be enough for those low light plants?
Sand itself should be fine.

You can always supplement with root tabs if you feel the need to.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:45 AM   #7
falseantidote
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
Sand itself should be fine.

You can always supplement with root tabs if you feel the need to.
Perfect. I've got the right idea going on then. Sand, maybe a piece of driftwood or a few large rocks, and a few low light plants.

Question--Can plants be prevalent during the cycling process, or does the tank need to be cycled without plants?
Old 12-16-2012, 02:24 AM   #8
Darkblade48

Quote:
Perfect. I've got the right idea going on then. Sand, maybe a piece of driftwood or a few large rocks, and a few low light plants.

Question--Can plants be prevalent during the cycling process, or does the tank need to be cycled without plants?
You can cycle the aquarium with plants in it.

In fact, plants will absorb some of the ammonia too.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:41 AM   #9
thebuddha
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)

if your not looking to rescape often, you could look into the walstad method.
essentially, use dirt at the bottom then cover with sand. the most common dirt being used is miracle grow organic choice potting soil MGOCPS (i found some at walmart)
thebuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:04 PM   #10
falseantidote
Algae Grower

Awesome, thanks for the heads up.

Walstad method. Using organic soil so it become somewhat of a self-sustainable little ecosystem right? The soil breaking down mulch etc and then releasing CO2 while also being very good substrate for the plants?

Is it recommended for beginners? I'd hate to try and not get it right; demoralizing.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:56 PM   #11
james1542
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

Many suggest the MGOPM for this method. This method provides the fert's your rooted plants need. Plants can also absorb nutrients from the water column, but then again so can algae. A dirt tank is not that hard to pull off if you plan it right, just make sure you have the right depth of sand to cover the dirt, and wetting the dirt a bit, and filling the tank slowly will be crucial to success. You don't really need high light or CO2 with the method. Opinions probably vary as to when to add plants with it, probably best to wait for the tank to cycle to add any fish though.
james1542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:19 PM   #12
jpalimpsest
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I like the rockscape in the inspiration photo you shared. I think that adding driftwood my distract from the simplicity of the rocks. If you do add wood, maybe something branchy instead of thick/solid.

Easy plant, low-tech plants to start with: java moss, java fern, anubias. I'm told that attaching plants to smooth rocks can be difficult since the roots don't have much to grab on to.

Carpeting will be challenging in a low-light setting. Someone previously recommended dwarf sag (Sagittaria subulata) for my low-tech tank, but I haven't tried it.

Best of luck. Be sure to share some photos as you develop the tank