First real "scape" attempt - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 12-31-2012, 04:46 AM   #46
zico_aqua
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

two ways that I would advice - 1) If you are going for emersed for the fissdens..the easiest way would be - put the fissidens in a mixer grinder, few drops of water and blend it tad bit so that it shreds apart. then simply rub the semi-solid mix over the wood. Post which keep it under normal light airtight with a saran wrap with daily misting for two weeks. that's it done - post two weeks you will find the fissidens to have formed a green slime cover on the wood that is when you are ready to introduce it in the tank..fissidens will catch hold tight and will give a super mature old look. (this is tried and tested actually the 8 inch cube that i'm working on right now has been done with the same process)

2) tie the moss using thread/fishing line at smaller intervals of gaps in between, with this you can either start it submerged/emersed..but this process will take up a bit of time to get attached to and start growth..

hope it helps..

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.

Few of my works
zico_aqua is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 04:55 AM   #47
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (13/100%)

It does! I would be nervous to attempt the blender, and only part of it is emerged. I might try it on a little piece first.

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:22 AM   #48
Overgrowth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I found this thread just a few minutes ago, and I have to say, you've made a remarkable amount of progress! I'm liking the most current layout a lot. However, I think that biggest piece of driftwood disrupts the flow of the tank. I'm liking the DHG too; it's a great choice for this tank in particular. In fact, the plants are more paramount than the scape itself. For instance, I once came across a tank journal while browsing the forum, and to be frank, the scape wasn't really that great. However, the owner of the tank chose his plant selection wisely, and he miraculously turned his shabby-looking tank into a fantastic scape. So, don't worry TOO much about the scape because plants naturally accentuate the tank. I'm not saying that your hardscape isn't good, it's just that it's not too much to worry about in order to make a good scape.

Seachem Flourite - "Although pre-washed"
BIGGEST LIE EVER TOLD
Overgrowth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:32 PM   #49
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overgrowth View Post
I found this thread just a few minutes ago, and I have to say, you've made a remarkable amount of progress! I'm liking the most current layout a lot. However, I think that biggest piece of driftwood disrupts the flow of the tank. I'm liking the DHG too; it's a great choice for this tank in particular. In fact, the plants are more paramount than the scape itself. For instance, I once came across a tank journal while browsing the forum, and to be frank, the scape wasn't really that great. However, the owner of the tank chose his plant selection wisely, and he miraculously turned his shabby-looking tank into a fantastic scape. So, don't worry TOO much about the scape because plants naturally accentuate the tank. I'm not saying that your hardscape isn't good, it's just that it's not too much to worry about in order to make a good scape.

We'll see how it fills in. Part of the whole learning process of scaping is being able to scape a tank and know what it will look like filled in, even though it doesn't look remarkable at first, so this will give me an idea of what something looks like before and the finished product.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:05 PM   #50
jpalimpsest
Algae Grower

I just flipped through your thread. It was fun watching the hardscape develop. I definitely like where you ended up. I'm looking forward to seeing it develop with the plants.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:55 AM   #51
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

Small update, plants are doing good, moss is taking to the rocks and DW pretty good, 4 WCM's call it home as well as some ramshorms and culled painted fire red shrimp.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
Old 03-07-2013, 02:58 PM   #52
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

Few updates. Still filling in nicely, the DHG is spreading, slowly, but I don't use any ferts or CO2, just Excel 3x a week and root tabs. My 4 Golden White Cloud Minnows have turned into about 40.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
Old 03-12-2013, 07:35 PM   #53
katiedempsey
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

When I was looking to aquascape my tank for the first time, I read an article that said you should put the bigger rocks at the front and the smaller ones in the back to help create some depth.
katiedempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:38 PM   #54
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (13/100%)
Default First real "scape" attempt

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiedempsey View Post
When I was looking to aquascape my tank for the first time, I read an article that said you should put the bigger rocks at the front and the smaller ones in the back to help create some depth.
I think you may remember that backwards lol. I don't really think that works out. I've never seen or designed a scape like that at least.

I really like what he did with his tank here
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is online now   Reply With Quote