I need some input... *Now with substrate!* - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 01-01-2013, 06:18 PM   #16
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

You might look at Plantbrain's Dutch inspired 120 gallon tank journal. He is using wood as roots coming from a very gnarled stump. Your tank seems to be heading the same direction. Those branches do look good laying down like that but they will get buried in plant growth. You could use the rocks to raise them up a bit at one end if you want to see them after plants grow in. I like the way they look right now but what if they were angled a bit rather than coming straight to the front? Make triangles rather than rectangles?

Old 01-02-2013, 02:14 AM   #17
Captivate05
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
You might look at Plantbrain's Dutch inspired 120 gallon tank journal. He is using wood as roots coming from a very gnarled stump. Your tank seems to be heading the same direction. Those branches do look good laying down like that but they will get buried in plant growth. You could use the rocks to raise them up a bit at one end if you want to see them after plants grow in. I like the way they look right now but what if they were angled a bit rather than coming straight to the front? Make triangles rather than rectangles?
That tank was one of the influences for this one. A couple big problems though: A. that tank is WAAAAAY bigger than mine; and B. I don't have access to manzanita, nor the money to have some shipped to me. Someday I'll have the money to set up a big tank with beautiful pieces like that...

Well, I picked up a couple more pieces of wood from my LFS. This was before I started the boiling and soaking process.

I also pushed the roots up a bit more above the substrate. I'm not entirely sure about the piece on the right now...

Captivate05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 06:21 AM   #18
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (14/100%)

You've got two journals o.O
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 04:04 PM   #19
Captivate05
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABJ View Post
You've got two journals o.O
As in this thread and the journal I'm posting on this project, or the journal I'm posting on this project and my old 29g project journal link in my sig? Because I need to remove that link... It makes me depressed... I really liked my tank before we moved...

Jeez, I don't even have the blue tigers anymore. I had their tank out yesterday and was trying to decide if I should set it up, but I have no where to put it

Last edited by Captivate05; 01-02-2013 at 04:06 PM.. Reason: blah!
Old 01-02-2013, 04:24 PM   #20
MABJ
Invert Warrior

I meant on this same tank lol. I noticed you're updating both with pictures.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:38 PM   #21
Captivate05
Wannabe Guru

This thread isn't really a journal, just asking for advice. I am adding pictures to my journal as well, for funsies. I do the journals so I can track the journey I'm making with this project, and the evolution of my hardscape is part of that journey

I'm pretty happy with the hardscape I have now. I may tinker with it some more, but overall, I want to see how it looks with the plants. So I'm done with this particular thread

Old 01-02-2013, 04:39 PM   #22
MABJ
Invert Warrior

Hehe good. I'll limit my posts to the journal then

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.