Captivate's 29g "Fresh Start" - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-02-2013, 01:46 AM   #16
Captivate05
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

I went to my LFS today and picked up some goodies

First:

Not sure I'm sticking with this. But the new pieces of wood has been boiled and is now soaking in a large bucket. They aren't really placed in the substrate well in this picture, when I commit to a hardscape I'll push them in more.

And...

PLANTS!

I love my LFS. Unfortunately they didn't have much of selection this time, but I got what I need for now.

Not a great picture, but this is a crypt wendtii "Sunset".

This is supposed to be flame moss. It was the greenest moss they had, and I don't think I've tinkered with flame moss before, so I went for it.

I also got several small anubias, a larger anubias that has some slight spattering of white on it's leaves (SCORE!!), a little java fern, some vals, and DHG.

My ten pound CO2 tank has been switched out, so now I'm set to go. Hopefully I won't blow out my needle valve this time...

I totally forgot to put up a proper background on this tank before dumping a ton of substrate into it. Not sure how I'm going to deal with that yet...

I'll probably remove everything, scrub the hardwater marks out, rinse it off, and then put up the background (window tint, if I can pull it off) tomorrow. And then plant the tank

Captivate05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 05:19 AM   #17
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (12/100%)

I buy and cut black poster board behind my tanks with rims. Works well. Not permanent at all.

New to shrimp? Need help? Check out these threads:
|Essential tools to buy|List of inverts|Sage advice|

Mark A Belcher Junior, a proud member of the DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 03:20 PM   #18
Captivate05
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABJ View Post
I buy and cut black poster board behind my tanks with rims. Works well. Not permanent at all.
I may do that, considering I can't even put the screen protector on my cellphone without a million bubbles popping up...

Old 01-02-2013, 04:22 PM   #19
jpalimpsest
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Planted photos, pretty please
Old 01-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #20
Captivate05
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalimpsest View Post
Planted photos, pretty please
Just waiting for my hubby to get back with the RO water

If anyone knows me from a year or so ago, or followed my other threads, you'll know I have the worst luck with tap water. I don't know why. I'm also a total control freak, so fluctuating GH and KH levels irritate the bejesus out of me. I decided to just forgo tap water here and skip straight to full RO water with Equilibrium.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:59 PM   #21
jonathan
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I'm curious how weekly water changes will go with what I am assuming is purchased(?) RO water. (1 month ago) I recently started up an aquarium with identical dimensions. The water changes are quite laborious for even that size. I have no idea how people do it without tap water !!
jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 09:20 PM   #22
Captivate05
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan View Post
I'm curious how weekly water changes will go with what I am assuming is purchased(?) RO water. (1 month ago) I recently started up an aquarium with identical dimensions. The water changes are quite laborious for even that size. I have no idea how people do it without tap water !!
The start up is a PITA, but after that it's not too bad. With all that substrate and driftwood, there's closer to 25 gallons of water or so. I change 12 gallons a week. Growing up my mom had several large salt water tanks, and the weekly 25% water changes were MUCH more strenuous. I want to get something around 75g or larger, but hubby said no (that's the nice version of what he said) until we own our own house

Ok, it's all planted. It looks pretty... sad. I'll be getting some more plants here soon, but most of them will have to be shipped.

Pictures after I upload them. The pictures are from my phone because any and all technology hates me.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:35 PM   #23
Captivate05
Wannabe Guru

Default Plants round one

This is what I ended up with in the first planting:

I was sharply reminded why I hate DHG. I started planting in tiny clumps, and then decided it wasn't worth it. Big clumps it is! I'll give them until I get the second round of plants and then trim the tops. I'm hoping I didn't tear their roots up too badly, I hate the rock wool they come in from the LFS...

My older daughter was my helper during this project. My younger daughter decided that my computer was more interesting...

I ran out of RO water and will get some later. Hubby's car won't start and he had to take mine out (which is the big car with the carseats). I need to check on my "big" hobby anyway

Old 01-02-2013, 09:45 PM   #24
Captivate05
Wannabe Guru

My other hobby, btw:

I raise show rabbits with my mom, but since I can't keep them at my place, my mom is allowing me to keep them in her barn. My parent's live on the way to the store

Technically I don't have to check on these cuties, but I have several other does due. Most of them haven't had babies before, and they can be pretty hit or miss about making good nests and pulling enough fur.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:24 AM   #25
Captivate05
Wannabe Guru

Checked the tracking on my package for all the things I had to order. It went from Wisconsin to Michigan (arrived in Michigan on the 30th) and then it stayed at that facility for two days (You know, NYE and NYD). Ok, fine, fine. Well, apparently it ended up in OHIO at midnight. OHIO. It was AN HOUR AWAY FROM MY HOUSE and now it's in Ohio. Oh FedEx, why do you do this to me... I'm sure it just ended up on the wrong truck, and I'm glad nothing in there is, you know, living. But COME ON!!! I already put plants in a tank which I have no heater for, and I was holding off on using the co2 until I got the filter up and running.

Thank you, Murphy, for letting me know that your Law is still very much in effect for ALL my projects. I was so hoping that the first hiccup would happen, you know... later, but I guess since the plants ARE in the tank, the tank is flooded, and I've bought plants from two other TPT members, I guess now is a fitting time for things to go wrong...

*sigh* Guess I'll have to hook a line for the co2 up into my itty-bitty powerhead and diffuse the co2 that way until FedEx actually gets my package to me...

Old 01-03-2013, 03:14 PM   #26
Captivate05
Wannabe Guru

Seems FedEx realized what was up and quickly got the package back into Michigan last night, and it's now en route for my house.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:47 AM   #27
Captivate05
Wannabe Guru

Package didn't arrive today, but that's ok. Nothing seems to be too out of sorts. I would dose some excel, but I don't know how well the vals will tolerate it- they seem kind banged up to begin with.

Anyway, look what I found! It was lost in the move, and I was so happy to find it again

I also bought new tests. Mine where going on three years old and I wasn't sure if they worked anymore. So one more thing I can check off my list

Old 01-04-2013, 08:08 PM   #28
Captivate05
Wannabe Guru

Good news: my package came in today!

Bad news: the filter is busted. Doesn't even make noise.

*sigh*

So, I ordered a new one. It'll probably come in next week.

Starting to dose Excel today in place of co2. I'll see how the vals tolerate it, but I'm not going to be heartbroken if they fail.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:59 AM   #29
Captivate05
Wannabe Guru

Default More plants!

Got my plants from Bartohog and maverickbr77 today, so my tank looks a bit less pathetic now

Flora list:
Anubias nana
Vallisneria nana (I think)
Crypt wendtii
Java Fern
DHG
Flame Moss
Blyxa Japonica
Rotala Wallichi
Rotala Nanjenshan
Echinodorus Vesuvius
Marsilia Minuta
Hygro brown.

Ok... plant list is starting to get a little on the long side. But aside from some more anubias I plan on putting in there, I'm going to put an end to my collectoritis.

FTS 1/7/13

Lots of filling in and growing to do.

Now I'm just waiting for the new filter to come in (which I'm *really* hoping will be tomorrow or Wednesday).

Old 01-08-2013, 01:23 AM   #30
mitchfish9
Planted Tank Nation

PTrader: (3/100%)

Looks great!! I am excited to see it fill in and whatever fish you plan to stock will look amazing in there and be very happy. I think should do GBR! They will be fine with a school of pygmy cories as there is plenty of space in a 29. Then a school of ember tetras like you said would look awesome as well. Then amanos for the cleanup crew. It would be a perfect 29g stock IMO. Good luck
mitchfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.