Blyxa Island - Page 9
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 12-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #121
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

The other high grade chocolate female is now berried. lets see how long it takes for her to drop the eggs lol >_<
funny that the previously berried females that dropped their eggs each have one egg stuck to their underside right now. they are carrying one egg each - very odd.

I have been trying to sex the 3 crystal shrimp i have in here. one is a definite female - very white shell, large and has thick abdominal scales. one is probably a male - also large but has thinner scales that do not cover the pleopods well, he swims around a lot, and has a more clear white coloration. The third one is hard to tell because it so much smaller than the other two; I thought he was a male but he doesnt swim around, has a thick white shell, and a prominent bump on the dorsal of the abdomen. odd shrimp.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:01 AM   #122
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

More crystal shrimp arrived today! They're really awesome looking, though they are lower grades. 5 of them are crystal blacks and 3 are crystal reds. what's so special about them is that they might be mischling shrimp. I'll be keeping an eye out for any interesting babies that come up when these guys breed.

I have 11 crystals in the tank now.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:59 PM   #123
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

Shrimp pictures.

New CBS:

New CRS:

Higher grade chocolate:

What is this, a PFR??:

Probably not supposed to be in this tank, even if it has chocolate genes right?(it was sold along with the high grades as choco shrimp).
Old 12-13-2012, 08:04 PM   #124
GreenBliss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

The chocolate is nice! Very dark.
GreenBliss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 06:20 PM   #125
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

Yes, I really like the high grade ones. I just wish they would actually hold their eggs like the low grades do...

New FTS:
Old 12-15-2012, 02:55 PM   #126
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

Lost a CBS!

The only thing i did differently was feed a fish food with garlic in it...maybe its not shrimp safe? from what i've observed, shrimp either bolt from the pellets when they get a taste, or they carry it around and eat it...maybe garlic killed my shrimp?

Another bet is that the CBS died from shipping stress, but these are low grades, they should be hardier? not even my SSS died from shipping stress and they were in the mail longer!

Not cool.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:39 PM   #127
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

Remember the shrimp i moved to my 40gal community? they are in the breeder net with some pleco fry. well one of those females is now berried! there is a male in there with them. 3 females.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:45 PM   #128
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

one of the high grade chocos is berried again. guess what she's going to do to the eggs in a few days? =D
lol i just wish they'd keep them like the low grades do. the lower grades still drop a few, but carry the majority of them.

Havent seen any female release their shrimplets yet. i have been feeding my shirakura powder once a week in preparation for babies. hopefully soon.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:52 PM   #129
aznrice247
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/97%)

Wait you can keep crystals even though your nitrates are at 5-10?
aznrice247 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 10:00 PM   #130
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

...nitrates can be close to 20ppm and crystals will still survive fine. its optimal to have them low for the highest grades of crystals and other fragile shrimp like TBs because you might not get good breeding if the nitrates are higher.

Where did you hear that crystals will die from nitrates? 10ppm is pretty low. and since my tank is planted, they can likely go lower over time.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:01 PM   #131
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

my blyxa is starting to grow algae on its old leaves, and the amano isnt helping much. while its good to have lots of algae because it takes nitrates to 0ppm, I would rather not have my plants get smothered, so i reduced the photoperiod to 5 hours a day.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:32 PM   #132
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

Algae still there.

Saw one tiny new born shrimp today. looks like the birthing has begun. hopefully more made it.
What do chocolate shrimp babies look like in terms of color? do they start out dark-tan or are the clearish-blue/white with dots?
Old 01-02-2013, 02:28 AM   #133
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

only up to 3 shrimplets. looks like alot didnt hatch or are hiding. acidic water isn't doing any favors to the chocolates for sure. maybe orange shrimp like acidic water better? shoulda went with those.

All shrimp are growing, molting, no losses recently. the mischlings might be getting ready to breed soon as are the SSS CRS. hopefully within the next month they'll grow to maturity.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:31 AM   #134
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman View Post
Remember the shrimp i moved to my 40gal community? they are in the breeder net with some pleco fry. well one of those females is now berried! there is a male in there with them. 3 females.
Follow up on this:

The berried female held on to all of her eggs and gave birth recently. plenty of babies in the breeder net now. I just hope they don't get trampled by the pleco horde and that my angelfish doesn't get them through the mesh.
However i have lost one random female in the breeder net. i think the pleco fry hurt her or something. happens rarely i bet.
I also moved out all of my low grade chocolates into this breeder net to see if they have better luck here. There are about 9-10 adult chocolate shrimp in there right now. few berried, some saddled and a few males too. I still have that red PFR in here.

In the 20L tank there are signs of babies, but the other day i saw one having issues with molting. i hope he makes it. none of the crystals are at breeding age yet.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:38 AM   #135
FisheriesOmen
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Pics. . .
The Fraternity of Dirt #97Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Emersed tUB clUB #17
FisheriesOmen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.