Does DIY co2 smell??
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 12-31-2012, 11:56 PM   #1
karmen626
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Does DIY co2 smell??

I was making some bread and notice how strongly the activated yeast smelled when in the water/sugar. I am planning to use DIY co2 for my tank. Does it stink up the space?? Also, do you think I could head start the plants for a few weeks with co2 and then remove it when I get shrimp? Or does it need to be in longer to have a major effect. Thanks! Sorry if it seems like a dumb question!!!!!
karmen626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 12:03 AM   #2
ThatGuyWithTheFish
perugiae

PTrader: (23/100%)

Nope, it only smells when you open it up.

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

My Golden Rule of planted tanks: WWTAD-
"What would Takashi Amano do?"

RAOK Club #69
ThatGuyWithTheFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:04 AM   #3
oldpunk78
ಠ_ಠ

PTrader: (106/100%)

the only time you'll smell it is when you have to change out the solution.
oldpunk78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:25 AM   #4
karce87
Long-time Lurker

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to karce87

Somehow I think it smells like coconut water
karce87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:35 AM   #5
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

I think it smells pretty strong but only when you open it up to refill. I did it for maybe 1.5 years and never noticed any smell when the system is closed so it won't smell all the time, just when refilling.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:25 AM   #6
Stinkmonky
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

Now just add some cornmeal to your next batch and then cook up that mixture
Stinkmonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:51 PM   #7
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

As already mentioned by several people, the DIY CO2 solution will only smell when you open it up to replace the solution.

As for your second part of your question, it may take several weeks for plants to show a marked improvement after the addition of CO2. If you then remove it upon addition of the shrimps, the plants may fare worse. Fluctuating CO2 levels can promote algal bursts as well.

If you want to have a steady CO2 rate while keeping shrimp, then pressurized CO2 would be your best option.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:40 PM   #8
AirstoND
Wannabe Guru

Default Smells

1) The smell is an acetic acid(vinegar) and alcohol mixture reaction byproduct from yeast consumption of sugar.

2) Depends on how large your tank is, light setup, alkanity, pH, nutrients(fish waste/ferts), plant selection and tank temp. Anthing less than 20g, try two bottles of DIY CO2.

Larger tank?, you're going to want pressurized CO2 (once again this will depend on your plant selection and other parameters noted above).
AirstoND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:02 AM   #9
Darkblade48

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstoND View Post
1) The smell is an acetic acid(vinegar) and alcohol mixture reaction byproduct from yeast consumption of sugar.
Fermentation by yeast does not produce acetic acid...

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:37 AM   #10
AirstoND
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
Fermentation by yeast does not produce acetic acid...
I interpret the smell to be due to (aceto)bacteria and not just yeast but I've read the following from a commonly searched article on yeast fermentation.

Acetic Acid(Vinegar)
Acetic acid is the principle volatile acid in wine. It is produced during bacterial spoilage but is ALWAYS formed by yeasts
during fermentation. Beyond a certain limit, which varies depending on the wine, acetic acid has a detrimental organoleptic
effect on wine quality. In healthy grape must with a moderate sugar concentration (less than 220 g/L,
Sacch. cerevisiae

produces relatively small quantities (100-300 mg/L).
The biochemical pathway for the formation of acetic acid in wine yeasts has not been clearly identified. The hydrolysis of
acetyl CoA will produce acetic acid as will aldehyde dehydrogenase by the oxidation of ethanal. Figure 6 shows the
pathways used by yeast to form acetic acid

Last edited by AirstoND; 01-03-2013 at 03:52 AM.. Reason: search
Old 01-03-2013, 03:59 AM   #11
AirstoND
Wannabe Guru

I also note that dead yeast collect as the sludge in the bottom of container, which could provide another nutrient source for bacteria in DIY bottle. So CO2/acetic acid/ethanol could be coming from other sources besides yeast.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:49 AM   #12
Darkblade48

Quote:
I interpret the smell to be due to (aceto)bacteria and not just yeast but I've read the following from a commonly searched article on yeast fermentation.

Acetic Acid(Vinegar)
Acetic acid is the principle volatile acid in wine. It is produced during bacterial spoilage but is ALWAYS formed by yeasts
during fermentation. Beyond a certain limit, which varies depending on the wine, acetic acid has a detrimental organoleptic
effect on wine quality. In healthy grape must with a moderate sugar concentration (less than 220 g/L,
Sacch. cerevisiae

produces relatively small quantities (100-300 mg/L).
The biochemical pathway for the formation of acetic acid in wine yeasts has not been clearly identified. The hydrolysis of
acetyl CoA will produce acetic acid as will aldehyde dehydrogenase by the oxidation of ethanal. Figure 6 shows the
pathways used by yeast to form acetic acid

Quote:
I also note that dead yeast collect as the sludge in the bottom of container, which could provide another nutrient source for bacteria in DIY bottle. So CO2/acetic acid/ethanol could be coming from other sources besides yeast.
Aha - then you are not talking about fermentation by the yeast -- some of the acetaldehyde that is produced can be oxidized to become acetic acid; however, this is not part of the fermentative pathway I think the sentence from your source that says that acetic acid is always produced during fermentation is slightly misleading.

Though contamination by bacteria is possible as well. All depends on your sterile technique.