So what now?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 12-19-2012, 06:02 AM   #1
R.sok
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

So what now?

When I first planted my tank I was eager for it to grow in & fill in fast...... Now that it has grown in I'm not sure what to do? I seem to have this problem with never being satisfied with my tanks & always rearranging them ahh. Maybe it's time to start a new tank.

Before

After
R.sok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 07:03 AM   #2
CoffeeLove
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Trim it and enjoy watching it grow again.start a small tank with the trimmings.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
CoffeeLove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:22 PM   #3
jpalimpsest
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Yeah, I would suggest a haircut. Are there fish in there? They might appreciate some room to stretch their little fins
Old 12-19-2012, 06:47 PM   #4
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

One of the reasons I seldom do tank journals is that my tanks are more process than goal-oriented--I'm forever fiddling and changing things up, experimenting with new ideas, trying out new plants, etc.

Sometimes it's big--like pulling out half the substrate from my main tank in order to put in sandy areas for my corys, sometimes it's as small as flipping the orientation of a piece of driftwood from horizontal to vertical to improve the 'scape as the background plants grow in. Pretty much every major prune reveals opportunities to tweak the layout.

Having a second (or third or fourth) tank can help that process as it gives you somewhere else to hold extra plants or hardscape ready to hand, or to grow out cuttings for later use, even give you the option of switching out fish populations. This summer I decided to make my main tank all silver/black based on the fish--so my backup tank absorbed my school of aging neon tetras as well as being my main endler breeding tank that supplies the males for my nano tanks.
Knotyoureality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:54 PM   #5
R.sok
Planted Tank Obsessed

I've trimmed the plants 4 different times now. I think I will maybe remove some of the plants & try new ones. My other tank with plant cuttings is completely full. Anyone have suggestions? Anubias is out of the question though the footprint of this tank is a cube so it would take up most of the tank

It used to house betta & cories. Then after that It housed pea puffers. Now It houses 30+ shrimp with some fry I can barely see
Old 12-19-2012, 11:48 PM   #6
zoragen
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Looks like a great opportunity for an ROAK!

You could have micro sword in front.

And attach some petite anubias to the dw - once you uncover the dw
Eheim Pimp Club #490 Ecco 2232
zoragen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:58 PM   #7
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

That plant needs a bigger tank!
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:01 AM   #8
R.sok
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
That plant needs a bigger tank!
I couldn't agree more! When I first started my planted tank I was in a rush & eager so I went with fast growing plants but now IMO I don't think fast growing plants & small footprints are meant to be.

I took out all the water wisteria except for two baby plants & same with water sprite, these two plants literally engulfed my whole tank & surface hindering light below. The length of the roots were almost unreal to me & Upon taking out most of the larger plants I was left with a very large clump of java moss that covers almost the complete back!

So now I'm left with some plants until I figure out what I want to do next. Since my stock is only shrimp I'm thinking of maybe using the java moss as a wall.