Steps - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 01-01-2013, 11:41 PM   #16
Colorblizzle
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

No I read the whole thing. When I do buy plants I plan on buying a lot probably a good 15+ and then after I add fish and check my parameters I understand if I read nitrates I need more plants cuz they can't handle all of them and if I don't read nitrates add more fish until I feel comfortable everything's balanced. That's what I read when I read that tho everybody reads everything differently
Colorblizzle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 11:44 PM   #17
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (14/100%)

You should have a set stocking of fish which in my opinion should be under stocked. Then add plants depending on your goal.

You can't easily add or subtract fish.

Did you already say the dimensions and gallons of said tank?
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 11:47 PM   #18
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

^+1

It isn't just about the water quality. Fish need oxygen and the size of the surface of the tank determines that. No matter how many plants are in the tank that stays the same.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:47 PM   #19
Colorblizzle
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm not sure if I said the dimensions but its just a standard 10g since its my 1st planted tank I figured I'd start small and I happened to have an extra 10g laying around. As far as fish stocking goes I plan on 1 otocinclus affinis and anywhere from 6-12 celestial pearl danios. And if there's room for further stocking I'd like to add kuhli loaches but not sure. Somebody else suggested cherry red shrimp.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:49 PM   #20
Colorblizzle
Planted Tank Obsessed

There will be a little gas exchange from the filter output but if there's enough plants won't they create enough oxygen for the fish?
Old 01-01-2013, 11:52 PM   #21
PaulG
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorblizzle View Post
She read a few articles and learned firsthand from her cousin that ammonia can cause mental retardation and she told me under no circumstances am I allowed to have it in the house. She told me putting fish in is the only way I'm allowed. I don't mind I just don't like potentially risking the lives of fish.
Do you have to wee in the garden?

But seriously, I do understand the concerns about ammonia, it's nasty stuff. Do you know how people used to cycle their tanks in days gone by? Wee in it. It's erm....an idea right?

Got a tank? Doing it filterless? Add it here!

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=221729
PaulG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 11:54 PM   #22
Colorblizzle
Planted Tank Obsessed

Lol
Old 01-01-2013, 11:55 PM   #23
DarkCobra
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorblizzle View Post
There will be a little gas exchange from the filter output but if there's enough plants won't they create enough oxygen for the fish?
During lights-on, sure. During lights-out, plants consume oxygen rather than producing it.
DarkCobra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 12:02 AM   #24
Colorblizzle
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hmm ok I didn't really take that into consideration what can be done about that other than adding an airstones? I have that in my other tanks but wanna keep this tank as simple as possible. Surface agitation should release gases and bring O2 into the water tho right? So maybe if I got a very small powerhead?
Old 01-06-2013, 01:18 AM   #25
Django
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcrx7 View Post
Just a noob here, but I am a long time user of the fish cycle. I tried fishless with plants the last time around and am now a firm believer. If your GF is concerned about ammonia around the kids, I would urge you to consider diluting it before you bring it home. That may help dispel her concern. Just make sure you get the right stuff. Give it a shake and look for bubbles. There should be none. Local hardware store is your best bet.The ammonia gives your plants a huge kick start. I still don't use ferts in that tank, and it has been cycled for a couple months.
When I started my 10g, I was talking with a few people who practically forced me to use the Plant Cycling Method. It was very scary, but I did it, and it worked. If you plant medium to packed fast-growing plants, you can wait a few days to make sure and put in a small number of fish and what happens is also known as "The Silent Cycle." The plants take care of the ammonia and the Nitrogen Cycle cycles in the background.

This is a great thread! So many things that interest me.
The Fraternity of Dirt #152

A Quiet Cycled Tank
Django is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 01:25 AM   #26
angelsword
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Your girlfriend sounds like a great mom! It's awesome that you respect her enough to go by her rules with the kids.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:31 AM   #27
Colorblizzle
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thank you! And she is! A little overprotective at times but I've learned I never come between a lioness and her cubs lol. I will try the silent cycle as you call it. Gonna be a bit tho gotta wait for taxes, holidays killed my credit card lol
Old 01-07-2013, 03:04 AM   #28
Django
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Can I give you a few tips? If you're using gravel, get pea-sized grave, like 1-3 mm, so the plants can easily get their roots in. But, a lot of people prefer sand, play sand or black sand, which is preferred. Play sand is light-colored. Byron has experience with this stuff. You may want to ask him if there is a good book on planted tanks. Also, Google.

Make sure your lights are bright enough, but not too bright. I definitely like to see a shadow on the substrate.

Stock fish lightly. I worried about there being enough plants to do their job, but I've seen lots of tanks planted very sparsely.

- End Of Brain Dump -
The Fraternity of Dirt #152

A Quiet Cycled Tank
Django is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 03:11 AM   #29
Colorblizzle
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm using black flourite sand. And for lights it's only 10w but I'm using the finnex fugeray LED light fixture. Should give me 30-40 PAR. I will stick fish lightly at first. And once I have a jungle and I see that the nitrates are building ill stop adding fish. I keep changing my mind on what I want tho first I wanted celestial pearl danios, then I wanted neon tetras, then I wanted cardinal tetras, then tequila sunrise guppies Nd now I'm thinking glo-fish. Opinions? I will for sure have an otocinclus in there tho regardless.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:12 AM   #30
Colorblizzle
Planted Tank Obsessed

And djAngo keep the tips coming. Everyone else too this is my first planted so my ears are WIDE OPEN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.