african plants
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 05:30 PM   #1
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru
 
scapegoat's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: philadelphia, pa
Posts: 2,190
Default

african plants


its so difficult to find information on african aquatics without it being related to african cichlids.

I'm looking for a list of african aquarium plants for an upcoming tank build that will be, dun dun dun, an african biotope to give my kirbs a lovely new home.

The tank will be either 75 or 90g, house a pair of kirb's, a healthy number of congo tetra, perhaps some Synodontis, and a ctenopoma. (looking into killifish as well) so i'm looking for some heavy plant coverage. I will be running t5ho, co2, and dosing ferts.

While I am finding information, there are a lot of educated folks on here that may be able to rattle off names faster than i can google them!

Appreciate the help gang!
scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-31-2012, 05:54 PM   #2
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru
 
Kathyy's Avatar
 
PTrader: (33/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Newbury Park, CA
Posts: 3,096
Default

Anubias, Bolbitis, some kinds of Crinium and lilies. There is one kind of Echinodorus even. Ought to get you started!
__________________
Kathyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:29 PM   #3
cichnatic
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Land of Gila
Posts: 168
Default

Mongabay got different african biotopes and the plants related to the lakes. Might want to check them out.

http://fish.mongabay.com/biotope.htm
__________________
EHEIM #525
cichnatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:44 PM   #4
ChadRamsey
Wannabe Guru
 
ChadRamsey's Avatar
 
PTrader: (56/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Canton, Ga
Posts: 1,392
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cichnatic View Post
Mongabay got different african biotopes and the plants related to the lakes. Might want to check them out.

http://fish.mongabay.com/biotope.htm

thats a great link, thanks for sharing
__________________


There are 2 types of people on this forum. Those that have algae, and those that lie and say they don't.
ChadRamsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:42 PM   #5
cichnatic
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Land of Gila
Posts: 168
Default

Not a problem Chad, you are welcome.

Scapegoat, your tank will look awesome with killifish in there. I've been pondering of getting some myself.
__________________
EHEIM #525
cichnatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:13 PM   #6
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru
 
HybridHerp's Avatar
 
PTrader: (11/100%)
Join Date: May 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 3,322
Default

APongeton are african plants I believe
are you not allowing anything from madagascar?
__________________
My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:http://tinyurl.com/n7zp47m
My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:http://tinyurl.com/qyf7s5o
My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:http://tinyurl.com/p54uupj
Mom's Spec V:http://tinyurl.com/qjt3rw2
HybridHerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:52 PM   #7
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru
 
scapegoat's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: philadelphia, pa
Posts: 2,190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cichnatic View Post
Mongabay got different african biotopes and the plants related to the lakes. Might want to check them out.

http://fish.mongabay.com/biotope.htm
that is a great link! thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cichnatic View Post
Scapegoat, your tank will look awesome with killifish in there. I've been pondering of getting some myself.
but which one, and how many? they're neat little fish. I figured congo tetra may end up being the large school in the tank, which is looking to end up as a 125g.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridHerp View Post
APongeton are african plants I believe
are you not allowing anything from madagascar?
those are neat looking plants. I'm not going to be a hardcore stickler for what goes into the tank, and i dont think anyone that is going to see the tank in person is going to know one thing from another.
scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:43 PM   #8
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru
 
ADJAquariums's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Albany, New York
Posts: 1,411
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
.I'm not going to be a hardcore stickler for what goes into the tank, and i dont think anyone that is going to see the tank in person is going to know one thing from another.
Well if your willing to do something from madagascar why not a large Lace?
__________________

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)
ADJAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:42 PM   #9
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru
 
scapegoat's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: philadelphia, pa
Posts: 2,190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADJAquariums View Post
Well if your willing to do something from madagascar why not a large Lace?
i'm really liking a thick area of Vallisneria spiralis as the background plant, with a couple african anubias and african fern spread around the rock and wood scape with a healthy amount of Eleocharis parvula for the foreground.

after looking at some tanks with less species, i think that is the way to go.

though, i think i might want to throw in a splash of color... i'll have high light, ferts, and co2, so i should find something red, perhaps a lilly of some sort.

what about floaters?

very much appreciating all the input, giving me the ability to think this over a bit better. I've got a few months of planning ahead of me as we're renovating the basement.
scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:19 PM   #10
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru
 
ADJAquariums's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Albany, New York
Posts: 1,411
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
i'm really liking a thick area of Vallisneria spiralis as the background plant, with a couple african anubias and african fern spread around the rock and wood scape with a healthy amount of Eleocharis parvula for the foreground.

after looking at some tanks with less species, i think that is the way to go.

though, i think i might want to throw in a splash of color... i'll have high light, ferts, and co2, so i should find something red, perhaps a lilly of some sort.

what about floaters?

very much appreciating all the input, giving me the ability to think this over a bit better. I've got a few months of planning ahead of me as we're renovating the basement.
I dont know much on floaters but Tiger Lotus's are from Africa.
__________________

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)
ADJAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012