What to do with 12" cube tank? Need lighting help.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 01-01-2013, 07:26 PM   #1
im2smart4u
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

What to do with 12" cube tank? Need lighting help.

I am supposed to be picking up a 12 inch cube tank at the next aquarium club meeting. The guy only wants $5 for it. I plan on putting it on top of my dresser in my room, but I have no idea what to put in it.

It is just the tank, so I will also need to get the equipment, but I don't know what equipment to get. Do I stick with HOBs, or try one of the mini canisters? How much light do I need? This answer depends on what I want to do with the tank.

So, my ideas as of now are either a shrimp tank (like blue pearls, nothing expensive) or a dwarf puffer tank. Or maybe a betta?

Any opinions on any of these ideas? Or ideas on anything else that would be cool in a nano tank.

I would like to know what I am going to put in the tank, so that I can start buying the equipment.

Last edited by im2smart4u; 01-28-2013 at 07:21 AM.. Reason: changing title
im2smart4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 08:19 PM   #2
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

A small AC 20 is what I run on mine. I made my own hood on it with 2x13W CFL's about 4" above the water line. I can see to able to grow about anything I want in it plant wise.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:32 PM   #3
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (423/100%)

For lighting, you could suspend a dome-style work light from Home Depot (It's easy to spray paint the exterior) over it with a daylight CFL. Or get one of those clip-on fluorescent fixtures from Fluval.

HOB will definitely do the trick. But if you want an HOB, I'd go with an Eheim 2211 or a ZooMed 501 if you want to go the cheap route.

Puffer will be the most work, as you'll likely have to culture live foods.

Shrimp would be my pick. Nearly all Neos are cheap. You could do Painted Fire Reds or Pumpkins. Maybe find a nice piece of driftwood to attach some moss to. Or just have some moss-covered stones.

If you want something simple, you could go with a few different Crypts for color and variety.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:18 AM   #4
im2smart4u
Planted Tank Obsessed

Okay, well I got the tank. I am still trying to decide exactly what I want to do with it. I think I am just going to put a betta in it. I am still trying to decide on how I want to set it up. I know I want it to have around medium light. I don't want high enough light that I have to do CO2 other than excel.

There are several lights I have been looking at. Problem is, I don't know whether they would be low light, med light, or high light. I am thinking of having a lower water level and growing some plants out of the top of the tank, but I may decide not to go that route.

Does anyone have opinions on any of these lights?

http://www.amazon.com/BeamsWork-Doub..._petsupplies_1

http://www.amazon.com/Wave-point-6-I...aquarium+light

http://www.amazon.com/Finnex-Might-L...aquarium+light

http://www.aquatraders.com/LED-Brigh...ed-p/56270.htm

http://www.aquatraders.com/LED-Reef-...On-p/56206.htm

I really want to spend under $50 on the light. Money is tight right now, so cheaper is better. If you know of any other lights that would work, please link them here. I would prefer something from amazon, since I have $30 of credit there.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:20 AM   #5
im2smart4u
Planted Tank Obsessed

Also, what filter would you use. I was thinking of trying a small canister, like the TOM Rapids Mini or the ZooMed 501. Whatever I get needs to be quiet and preferably not ugly, since this tank is going in be bedroom on my dresser.