Is this normal looking Needle Leaf ludwigia or deficiency?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 01-01-2013, 05:41 AM   #1
Hardstuff
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Is this normal looking Needle Leaf ludwigia or deficiency?

The Needle leaf I bought at Pets Mart looked totally different when young. I am guessing it was grown out of water , because the leaves looked much smaller when they were first bought. The Needle Leaf is growing crazy. Starting to take over the tank. They were looking more greener months back, now they are taking on yellowish reddish , brown rust looking pigments near the tops. The only thing I am not sure about is the way they are looking more yellow light green through most of the plant until the top 1/3. Is this normal?
Ph is 7.3-6.8, Gh 7, Kh4, NO3 15-20ppm, PO4 1ppm. I do not test Fe since I do not have an Fe kit. I dose EI , but not exactly because my NO3 has been high & I cut back on NO3 to lower it to 15-20ppms. I dose extra (K, Mg) I dose trace & Fe. Fe every day 3-5 drops. I use 80%R/O remineralized with GH booster& extra trace. Tank temp is 76.6 I dose pressurized CO2 1-2 bubbles a second , 2x 15 watts T8 bulbs 11 hours a day.
To me they are either normal or Fe deficient maybe Mg as well. I have seen rusty looking ones on the computer that the owner purposely denied NO3 to make them more red. What do you think? Could there be too much of a nutrient to make the Fe not available? Or are they normal?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0480.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	60442  

Name:	IMGP0499.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	60444  

Name:	IMGP0481.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	60446  

Name:	IMGP0487.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	60448  

Hardstuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 12:42 PM   #2
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

I can't answer your question but wanted to say, lovely tank.

What fish or shrimp do you keep in it?
Lia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 05:22 PM   #3
Hardstuff
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for replying Lia: Right now I only have 2 red cherry shrimp & a small population of snails which were starting to cause problem eating the tanks plants. The tank had 0 algae for 5 weeks. Now I culled 95% of the snails & the algae is SLOWLY coming back.
I have 5 Amber Tetras waiting in QT to be introduced into this tank shortly which is a 10 gallon. Still waiting on a TDS meter before I release them. This tank has gone through some rough evolution & had many problems do to my underestimating of filtration in this type of bio mass. I now have dual canister filters. The tank is pretty balanced ,but from what I can see in this hobby you can never let your guard down. It takes time to master these tanks & learn about nutrient uptake. This tank has thrown many curves at me. Sometimes daily. I knocked them all down 1 by 1. It has been a great learning experience.
Thanks for the nice comment. Maybe somebody else can help to decide if the Needle Leafs look normal. Without a close up its hard to tell. They actually look lighter than the images. Probably should have stopped up a notch.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:19 PM   #4
dewalltheway
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (134/99%)

Do you dose any ferts? It looks to me like several deficiencies. I see yellowing of the anubius which indicates iron deficiency along with holes which show potassium deficiency. The first pic I see a leaf being reabsorbed from the tip to the stem which indicates Nitrogen deficiency. Also, do you inject CO2?
Old 01-03-2013, 02:33 AM   #5
Hardstuff
Planted Tank Obsessed

If you read my thread completely, I stated I dosed pressurized CO2. I do not have a drop checker, however I compare my ph levels with Kh & derive that I am between 16-25ppms. Although lately my ph has gone up late at night a little above normal, but I have read this can be normal if the plants are growing fast. My ph has been driven down to 6.7 from 7.3 so that would bring me in somewhere around 25 ppms of CO2. But my tank needs a reset to lower things my TDS is climbing over 300ppms now.
As far as dosing Nitrate, I cut back since my nitrate levels were going over 30ppms at 1 point last week. I was dosing 3 drops a day & the tank was eating it all up every day. I dose PO4 as well 2 drops a day. Trace every other day Fe every day at least 5 drops. K is dosed every day as well about 3 -5 drops KSO4. I dose close to EI, but like I said my nitrates were getting high. I will see what they come to after this reset.
The tank has been pearling like crazy & all the plants are growing well.No plants are losing leaves or major yellow overall. You were fooled by snails. The holes you talk about are from snails which I have under control now. I culled 95% of them recently since I have very little if any algae growing on the plants. As of right now there are hundreds of O2 bubbles shooting out of my small canister filter which would be a good indicator the tank is doing well.
I do use r/o water which has made it a challenge. K levels could be low as well as Fe. The needle leafs appear healthy over all with rapid growth, I am not sure about the shade of light green yellow though. Fe could be a little low, hard to tell without test kit. Have to go by the plants.
I am not seeing the (reabsorbed) leaf ? you are talking about. If you could be more specific. Thanks

Last edited by Hardstuff; 01-21-2013 at 05:30 AM.. Reason: miss spell

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.