Progression of my 55 Gallon (Beware lots of pictures!)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 12-30-2012, 04:34 AM   #1
Cinbos
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Progression of my 55 Gallon (Beware lots of pictures!)

Here I will be explaining the progression of my planted tank. I will talk about everything from hardware to inhabitants (Plants and fish) and how they have changed.

Simple eh? I knew I wanted to start a planted tank and keep it really low tech, so here is where I started. Everything you see here I bought for $100, stand, tank and all!

Here i added some real driftwood. Some more plants and river rocks. Also may have rushed adding the fish, but I was a little naive thinking that the plants would remove the whole cycling process...WRONG!

Here I added a few more plants. Still hated the look, and I also hated the play sand as the substrate, way too messy and foggy, so I changed to pool filter sand!

Now things are starting to look better, not great but better. I learned some simple things about basic aquascaping and tried my best to incorporate those tips, like off centering the drift wood and what not. I also changed the lighting, went from half watt led lights by marineland and changed to a 48" dual shop light with 2 GE 6,500k bulbs.

Throughout these pics, I changed things up quite a bit. Added more plants (I assume most of you know the plants in there) and some better floating plants like frogbit (wasnt pleased with the wisteria). I also added more fish, especially 2 cool super red bn plecos!

I also started dosing some ferts and minerals like equilibrium and flourish, added some root tabs, and also removed the small vals I had in there, my water was quite soft for them.

Here I added a larger sword to help fill in the aquascaping. Beginning to look better, but there still seemed to be something missing. One of those things was swapping out the bulky driftwood piece with manzanita branches.

Now! This is where I am at now. Still dosing with Seachem Flourish, Seachem equilibrium, and Seachem root tabs. I had a problem several pictures ago with my swords looking like they had mineral deficiency, so I was directed to equilibrium and root tabs, and everything seems to be improving. The 2 larger swords were recently purchased so I hope all is well. I finally got ahold of the larger manzanita branch, and WOW! am I stoked! Also added 2 german blue rams, and some chain swords. So this is where its all at now, I am definitely pleased with it.

The only other thing I would like to do is change to a shop light that holds 4 48" fluorescent bulbs, instead of the one I have now that holds 2 bulbs.

Here are my current plants:
4 Anubias Barteri (Middle)
1 Anubias Nana (Middle)
4 Anubia Petite Nana (Right/Middle)
2 large Amazon swords (Left)
2 smaller Amazon Swords (Middle and Right)
Frogbit (Floating)
20 nodes Hydrocytle Sp. Japan (Front/Middle)
Scattered Java Moss
Ball of Pellia (Front/Right Corner)
Chain swords (Front/Left)
Lutea (Front/Left)

Inhabitants:
4 Angels
3 Oto Catfish
2 Super Red Bristlenose Plecos
2 German Blue Rams

I am still very new to planted aquariums, but I wanted to show my progress from the very beginning.

Any thoughts, advice, ideas and critics please bring them on and post! I want you to. I will accept any and all advice, everything from lighting, fish, plants and substrates.

Fish
3 GBR, 2 Bolivian Rams, 1 Juvenile Super Red BN Plecos, 9 Oto Catfish, 9 Bloodfin Tetras
Plants
Rotala Indica, Cardamine, Crypt Spiralis, Pygmy Chain Swords, Dwarf Sag, Lutea Crypt, Wendtti Bronze and Red, and Floating Frogbit

Last edited by Cinbos; 07-05-2013 at 02:09 PM..
Cinbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 04:42 AM   #2
MiniFishRoom
Planted Member

PTrader: (20/100%)

Nice!
Old 12-30-2012, 04:45 AM   #3
Cinbos
Planted Tank Obsessed

Forgot a couple things.

To the inhabitants, I also have 5 black neon tetras. Thinking of swapping these out with a different schooling fish...any ideas?

Also meant to add a hardware and fertilizer section for the setup.

Hardware:
Standard 55 gallon aquarium
Emperor 400, have an Eheim 2215, but currently working in a leak issue with it.
1 300w Aqueon Heater
1 dual 48" shop light with 6,500k bulbs

Ferts:
Seachem Flourish
Seachem Root Tabs
Seachem Equilibrium (to help with my really soft water)

P.s. Please forgive me if I don't know all the scientific names for the plants

Fish
3 GBR, 2 Bolivian Rams, 1 Juvenile Super Red BN Plecos, 9 Oto Catfish, 9 Bloodfin Tetras
Plants
Rotala Indica, Cardamine, Crypt Spiralis, Pygmy Chain Swords, Dwarf Sag, Lutea Crypt, Wendtti Bronze and Red, and Floating Frogbit
Old 12-30-2012, 07:27 PM   #4
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Nice progression on this tank!

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:43 PM   #5
zoragen
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Very nice.

Love the dw!
Eheim Pimp Club #490 Ecco 2232
zoragen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:19 PM   #6
Cinbos
Planted Tank Obsessed

Any ideas, suggestions or advice? Open to all!

Fish
Plants
Old 12-31-2012, 01:58 AM   #7
mitchfish9
Planted Tank Nation

I really like the evolution of this tank! It has the potential to be an amazing tank once it fills in some more! The new dw is awesome as well, your manzinita scape is kind of what i hope to use on my next tank. I also like your stocking. Black neons are nice, and you could add to them and then compliment them with rummynose or cardinal tetra! I am going to use the rummynose/black neon combo in my tank.
mitchfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:03 AM   #8
Cinbos
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchfish9 View Post
I really like the evolution of this tank! It has the potential to be an amazing tank once it fills in some more! The new dw is awesome as well, your manzinita scape is kind of what i hope to use on my next tank. I also like your stocking. Black neons are nice, and you could add to them and then compliment them with rummynose or cardinal tetra! I am going to use the rummynose/black neon combo in my tank.
Funny you mention that. I have a nice lady that is going to be bring over 25 cardinals for free. Will add them after a week of qt!

Fish
Plants
Old 12-31-2012, 02:04 AM   #9
Cinbos
Planted Tank Obsessed

Also what is it with rummy nose? I war everyone talking about them. Good fish?

Fish
Plants
Old 12-31-2012, 03:23 AM   #10
mitchfish9
Planted Tank Nation

Rummynose tetra have a checkerboard tail with a bright red nose. Arguably the best schooling tetra, but a little bit more sensitive than most tetras. Great fish. But you have the cardinals coming, so you can do 25 cardinals and maybe even 10 black neons. Not sure about if that is too stocked though. Generally it looks better to have higher numbers of less species
Old 12-31-2012, 03:38 AM   #11
Cinbos
Planted Tank Obsessed

I will be moving the black neons, and just keep the cards as the schooling fish. I may have to look into rummys though, especially if they are the best schooling tetra. I also saw that they are pretty precise with their water parameters.

Fish
Plants
Old 12-31-2012, 04:10 AM   #12
Cinbos
Planted Tank Obsessed

Are there any shrimp that will be safe in my set up? Looking to get a cleaning crew in there to help with uneaten food and what not.

Fish
Plants
Old 12-31-2012, 04:32 AM   #13
Cinbos
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniFishRoom View Post
Nice!
Thank you!

Fish
Plants
Old 12-31-2012, 04:33 AM   #14
Cinbos
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchfish9 View Post
Thanks by the way on the compliment!

Fish
Plants
Old 01-01-2013, 03:28 AM   #15
mitchfish9
Planted Tank Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinbos View Post
Are there any shrimp that will be safe in my set up? Looking to get a cleaning crew in there to help with uneaten food and what not.
Even though amanos get pretty big, no shrimp is safe with angels lol