6 Gal, Schuber Wright, 1st Planted
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-31-2012, 07:07 PM   #1
laqu
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Default 6 Gal, Schuber Wright, 1st Planted

This is the tank that started it all...

okay, it was actually a 1 gallon fish bowl with a betta and an anachris plant.

**My daughter is taking an AP Enviro class (she's homeschooled) and needed to see the effect of plants on the aquatic system. As she did the experiment I was amazed at the effects of plant on fish tanks. 6 Weeks 1 gallon of water, 1 fish, NO WATER CHANGES! **

I did research, purchased the tank, and started the tank so that when the 6 weeks were up he'd have a new home.

I'm now 2 months into this and have 4 small 2 gallon tanks along with my 6 gallon.

I'll start this Journal with some photos of where it started and where it is now then keep it updated as I go along.

TANK:
Schuber Wright 6 gallon low iron

FILTER:
Finnex p-360

LIGHT
Finnex FugeRay 16"
*changed out to FugeRay 20" as 16 was WAY not enough
** changed out to 2 CFL 100 W 6500K bulbs in clamp lights on wine bottles as Finnex just didn't have the light needed.

CO2
Day 2 of DIY CO2
* First day I gassed some shrimp
** Remade CO2 solution, changed to a chopstick as a diffuser (for microbubbles)

HEATER:
Finnex Titanium 100W (moved the 50W to another tank and they only had 100W in stock and needed it ASAP

SUBSTRATE
2" CaribSea Eco-Complete 20-Pound Planted Aquarium, Black
2" Up Aqua Shrimp Sand

ROCK:
*looking around and whispering*
"live" rock - i didn't know better and i don't want to tear it down and redo..yet.

This is where it all started....
Some Hornswort, Some whisteria, some red crypt, that big plant in the back right (my daughter wanted that... it's roots are HUGE so i just keep cutting all the leaves off) and shrimp tubes ...

IMG_0377 by laq997, on Flickr

Well it wouldn't be a journal if i didn't show you the progress...

Well within a few days all my crypts melted (I was NOT happy, I later learned this was normal) and I added some "red plants" from pet smart.

New Betta as well (which led to tanks 2 and 3) she (he) is just prettier.

Untitled by laq997, on Flickr

Within 4 hours of putting the shrimp in the tank with the betta I discovered the betta LOVES shrimp Sushi... by 8 hours the betta was out of there (and tank 4 was on it's way)

In just a few weeks I had a good looking tank, and more plants a palm tree looking one (which i now know is 'semi' aquatic) - no idea what that means but i died in my other tank... well not died so much as grew fuzz and messed the tank up.. this one is doing "okay"

I went away for Thanksgiving and came home to find this...

I was very excited... Then I discovered the WHOLE tank was berried!

This is a shot of the back

And of SOME of it's inhabitants:

I did a MAJOR redo this weekend...
added the CO2 mentioned, it needed it.
Moved the intake to be closer to the outflow (apparently dead spots are bad.. who knew) and changed the inflow so it moved the top of the water so i don't have to de-film it daily ... eeewww...

and TRIMED the tank...

Now I should say I trimmed the tank every week or two before it got crazy overgrown... then without the CO2 nothing grew, and it needed more light... Light was added 1.5 weeks ago (i was using excell but hated how 'icky' the water got)

I'll put the photos up in a few ...

I know me.. this will be ever changing... (in case you didn't figure that out by 2 months and constant changes...)
1 betta

Here they are http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/al...p?albumid=9625

6 gallon journal
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...208&highlight=

you can see more photos here the 4 8" cubes are on flicker... will get to their journal at some point (they are fun as they change often)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/laq/

webdesign: www.littleowlwebdesign.com
laqu is offline   Reply With Quote