Does RO water help?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 12-30-2012, 11:28 AM   #1
Chris333
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)

Does RO water help?

I was thinking of getting a $100 RO system and using it only for my tank.

I did order a PPM meter and thought I would check that first.

I have a crazy algae problem and have to pull it out about every 2 weeks for over a year now. I think it is from my MTS so I plan to completely re-do the tank and possibly ditch real plants. But I don't want algae in that tank either.

This is my first tank that has ever had an algae problem.
Old: 55g planted, Soilmaster select charcoal, community tank. Pressurized CO2 w/ in-line reactor. Magnum 350 pump.
Chris333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
Rebel1970

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Algae Problems

I have an RO system. It doesn't matter, if algae is a problem there are sever al reasons. How often do you feed your plants? Over fertilizing them can cause algae to grow. Plants eat the nutrients in the water lessening the available nutrients for algae to eat and grow. Lighting, if to high you will have algae. You could get some nerite snails to eat the algae, or otocinclus catfish as well. Cherry shrimp are good algae eaters. Just buying an RO system won't cure an algae problem. I have a very heavily planted tank and have no algae problem what so ever...Good luck!!!
Rebel1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:09 PM   #3
Canuck
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I've never used RO water so my opinion on it may be of little value. I've been able to manage tanks without it successfully, therefore, I believe that it probably isn't necessary in the majority of cases. In theory it would be of benefit if your water contained something like salt that would be detrimental to plant growth. Others will undoubtedly disagree.

I do have a couple of thoughts on your predicament.

1. Hang in for a couple of more months. Some planted tanks will take a year to "settle in". Not sure why but I believe the biological processes involved with the planted tank have not matured adequately to provide the stability that benefits plants and gives them the advantage over algae.

2. Make sure your plants are growing at the maximum speed possible given the light available. Personally, I wouldn't have more then a 9 hour photoperiod. You've been given advice on CO2, so I won't mention it again. I'd suggest water column ferts, I'm not sure from your other posts whether you ever tried them. I am a fan of EI, at least as a starting point. With EI you can pretty well rule out ferts as a limiting factor. I realize you put in MTS to avoid this but it doesn't seem to be working. If you are concerned with the algae benefiting consider the fact that the algae has done quite alright without them, so what can it hurt?

3. Be relentless in tank maintenance. At least once a week, probably twice would be better remove all visible algae. Remove plant leaves that have been overcome by algae. Do a 50% water change once a week.

4. Make sure you have the tank well planted with fast growers (that are growing fast). I do believe that plants and algae compete for dominance in their environment, this tips the balance in favor of the plants. Floating plants are not a bad thing either. They grow fast, take some of the edge of your lighting and seem to benefit my tanks.

Maybe you've tried all of this, its hard to tell from your posts what you have or haven't tried. And keep in mind, this advice will not make all your problems disappear next week. I think you should see results within 4 weeks. Plants will grow faster, algae will grow slower. As the tank stabilizes you should be able to cut back on a lot of this, remove the plants you don't want, cut back on ferts and water changes if you like. And see what happens from there. Good luck with whatever you try.

Dave

Wishing I had a pithy quote
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:09 AM   #4
Chris333
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)

13 months ago my whole tank was green water:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=152788

I've had the CO2 blasting as high as it would go for months now, even at night, it made no difference and killed a few fish along the way.

I know algae will attach slow growers, but my sword is covered in it and they grow like a weed.

I had 100 cherry shrimp in my tank and they all died off so I won't be trying that again.

Recently all my duck weed died off as well.

My dosing so far has been about 4 spoon fulls in a year.

My last large planted tank looked perfect for almost 5 years with no water changes ever:

I don't think there is a way to have a planted tank now. Every time I pull out the algae I take 1/2 of that plants out with it.

Is there any failsafe way to tell if my water is a problem?
Old: 55g planted, Soilmaster select charcoal, community tank. Pressurized CO2 w/ in-line reactor. Magnum 350 pump.
Chris333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:01 AM   #5
Sake
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

How do you kill duckweed? O.o I'm sure many here would love to know that secret lol.