Homemade cough syrup - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 12-30-2012, 02:01 PM   #16
Shangrila
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink View Post
Uh huh, I saw you'd mentioned that but it doesn't change my recommendation, I'd give him a sip or two of jag and he will probably feel better and show improvement.
Jagermeister was originally developed as a cough remedy back in the '30s and when used in moderation is quite effective.
Picking this up today! I must say the honey and onion thing seems to be working pretty well.
Shangrila is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 03:38 PM   #17
wendyjo
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Moose you may have the flu: http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease/symptoms.htm
wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:51 PM   #18
m00se
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Yea wendyjo - who can know, right? I never got the fever and the sore throat lasted about a day before it headed into my lungs. I did worry for a bit about pneumonia. Been down that road 2 times now and it's no fun. But I picked up a little and have been productive in the phlegm removal phase so I'm more inconvenienced now than sick. Fatigue - omg....just walking to the end of the driveway was making me gulp for air.

Funny thing is I got the flu shot a week before this started. I know that's no guarantee that the strain I contracted is the same, but ironic nevertheless.
m00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:01 PM   #19
Shangrila
Planted Member

Funny thing is I got the flu shot a week before this started. I know that's no guarantee that the strain I contracted is the same, but ironic nevertheless.[/QUOTE]

That's why I stopped getting flu shots. Every year I would get one I would get sick right afterwards.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:52 PM   #20
mjalex007
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Uh, take the child to a real doctor and stop gambling with his health. Modern medicine seems to work pretty well, the last I heard.
mjalex007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:12 PM   #21
Elppan
Planted Tank Obsessed

Tea with a little bit of lemon, dash of cayenne pepper, and a spoonful of Brandy is what I usually use.
Theraflu also makes some new flavors of tea now, that also contain things to lower fevers.

Taking prescription medication, and even over the counter medication isn't always the healthiest thing to do. I'd always use a natural remedy for a common cold. No reason to use highly concentrated medications if you don't have to.

Sent from my phone, in the land of magical unicorns and rainbows!
Old 12-30-2012, 08:19 PM   #22
Shangrila
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjalex007 View Post
Uh, take the child to a real doctor and stop gambling with his health. Modern medicine seems to work pretty well, the last I heard.
Uh, been to real doctors already. "Modern" doctors don't like to treat coughs for some reason. Not like when I was a kid. Thats why I'm trying to get ideas.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:52 PM   #23
Elppan
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shangrila View Post
Uh, been to real doctors already. "Modern" doctors don't like to treat coughs for some reason. Not like when I was a kid. Thats why I'm trying to get ideas.
Most they will do is give you cough syrup with codeine in it anyway.

Sent from my phone, in the land of magical unicorns and rainbows!
Old 12-30-2012, 09:27 PM   #24
Zefrik
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00se View Post
I didn't realize alcohol was toxic to juveniles. TIL
Zefrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:47 PM   #25
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

Some of the herbal teas called Throat Coat or similar are pretty good for a sore throat, especially with a generous spoonful of honey.

Hot honey and lemon juice is good, too. Basically a hot lemonade, but not the sugary stuff from the stores. Squeeze a fresh lemon into the cup, a spoonful of honey and top it up with hot water.

The other ideas from above, designed to loosen the phlegm and make it easier to cough up are good, too.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:08 AM   #26
wendyjo
Planted Tank Guru

Moose I have the exact same thing going on except I've had it for over a week now and it's not getting better. I've never been so tired in my life. And yeah, just going up the stairs to my bedroom has me gasping. I did get some antibiotics and an inhaler because the doc felt it was turning into bronchitis. I thought it was just a bad cold till I read the flu description but yeah I have everything on that list except for the fever.

Funny thing is I got a milder version of this (and bronchitis) immediately after my flu shot as well, back around Dec. 1. That cleared up and I was good for about 2 weeks and then BAM I got hit with it big time and this time it's knocked me out.

I am so grossed out by the thought of boiled onion and honey. OMG that sounds so nasty.
wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:49 AM   #27
blink
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjalex007 View Post
Going to the doctor over a cold/cough is the reason why people have to wait hours to see a doctor when they go in with more serious ailments.

IMO, people need to toughen up and stop relying on modern medicine to treat passing, minor ailments. A cold takes about two to four weeks to pass, they have always taken 2-4 weeks to pass and in our lifetime will probably continue to take 14-30 days to pass no matter what the doctor tells you or how much the magical pills cost.

By the way Shangrila, did you try the Jagermeister? Has there been any improvement?
blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:42 AM   #28
Shangrila
Planted Member

Blink, got the Jagermeister just in case but the boiled honey and onion thing has been surprisingly effective.

Wendyjo, my son tells me it really doesn't taste that bad.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:10 PM   #29
dewalltheway
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (134/99%)

I would invest in a Vicks humidifier, the one where you can put in a vapo stick into it. When my 2 year old has been stuffy or a small cough starts to develop, we run the humdifier at night while she sleeps and helps her sleep plus helps keep things loose. Moisture is a good thing to the nose & throat especially when the heat comes on in the winter and things dry out.

Also, have him gargle luke warm water with salt & honey. Works great on a sore throat.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:44 PM   #30
herns
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (231/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavecorps View Post
This works well, I've done the honey and cayenne. Even just plain honey works well to soothe the throat.
I always suffer for sore throat when cold season comes. I went online and found home remedies of warm water, lime, little bit of salt and honey. It was very effective.
herns is online now   Reply With Quote