mineral oil creeps into air line. Also Bubbles chug and not consistent.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 12-30-2012, 06:29 PM   #1
wagz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

mineral oil creeps into air line. Also Bubbles chug and not consistent.

Hi,

I have a jbj style bubble counter that has mineral oil in it and at most is half way full. No matter what, it seems oil travels up into air line and accumulates in the sway which acts like a drip loop. I keep changing the line which is a pain, and I'm running out of tubing. I set it to a reasonable rate, and the bubbles pop and never reach the top. I don't know how it's traveling straight up. Any advice. Also. For some reason that didn't happen before. When I set valve to higher flow. Instead of consistent bubbles, I get a hesitation and then a big glug, and this repeats. Any ideas about that.

Thank you.
wagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 07:53 PM   #2
Bettatail
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (87/98%)

Quote:
For some reason that didn't happen before. When I set valve to higher flow. Instead of consistent bubbles, I get a hesitation and then a big glug, and this repeats
there are two possible problem:
1. there is a leak between the check valve and the bubble counter.
2. the hydraulic oil inside the check valve gets sticky because of the temperature.

solution, disconnect the bubble counter, blow the check valve with fast flowing co2 , then clean the hydraulic oil that comes out of the check valve as much as possible. reconnect the bubble counter, make sure there is no leak.

Quote:
it seems oil travels up into air line and accumulates in the sway which acts like a drip loop
check air hose connection, make sure there is no leak, because if there is any leak the pressure in the air hose drops too low overnight, and in the morning when the solenoid turns on, there is rush of co2 from the system to the air hose, and push the mineral oil out of the bubble counter.
Bettatail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:06 PM   #3
Bettatail
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (87/98%)

add, if it is reactor type diffuse method(without much back pressure), the pressure in the air hose drop low overnight anyway. You can set the regulator output pressure at around 10-20 psi to minimize the sudden "rush" of co2 when the solenoid turns on in the morning.
Bettatail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:33 PM   #4
wagz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I have the bubble counter off and will turn on co2 and crank it up to blow out any oil. Not sure why it bubbles consistent at low bpm, but glugs at higher setting. I have checked airlines for leaks with soapy water and didn't find any. I will adjust pressure to 20 psi as you suggested. If and until I figure it out I am switch to distilled water.
Thanks.
wagz is offline   Reply With Quote