Need help with ferts.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 12-30-2012, 05:59 AM   #1
lamiskool
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

Need help with ferts.

I am very new to this and would like some help...Ok so first what I have. A 55 fairly heavily planted tank with fish. I also have a co2 injection set up. I need help with how to fertilize my plants. What I have around is:

Flourish Iron
(1% Fe)

Flourish Potassium
(5% K20)

Flourish Comprehensive Supplement
.07% Nitrogen
.01% P2O5
.37% K2O
.14% Ca
.11% Mg
.27 Sulfur
.009 Boron
1.15 Chlorine
.0004% Cobalt
.0001% Copper
.32% Fe
.0118% Manganese
.13% Sodium
.0007% Zinc
.0009% Molybdenum

I also just ordered some Plantex CSM + B. I was wondering if I need to order Potassium Nitrate (KNO3), Mono Potassium Phosphate (KH2PO4), Potassium Sulfate (K2SO4) or is the Flourish Potassium enough? Also for some of my plants that need root tabs am I supposed to put multiple tabs near the plants or just a few spread out anywhere in the tank? Lastly when/what order should I be adding everything. Thankyou in advance.
lamiskool is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 06:36 AM   #2
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

You may want to take a look into the Estimative Index (EI) method of dosing for your aquarium.

For a large aquarium such as your own, I would recommend dry fertilizers over the use of commercially available products such as the Seachem line. This is because dry fertilizers are much more economical in the long run.

I am unsure of what lighting you have, but I assume you have sufficient lighting as well. If this is the case, you will need to dose macronutrients (NPK) and micronutrients.

While the Flourish potassium supplies potassium, you will still need to dose nitrates and phosphates. The Flourish comprehensive does contain some, but not to the levels that you will need to aim for in a planted aquarium.

For your plants that require root tabs, just a single root tab placed around the roots of those plants will be fine.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:20 AM   #3
lamiskool
Wannabe Guru

oh i forgot to add for my lighting i have 2x 65W 6500k and 2x 62W 10000. and thansk for the advice
Old 12-30-2012, 07:23 AM   #4
l8nite
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Dry ferts are awesome. I dosed KNO3 and KH2PO4 along with Plantex CSM+B in my 29G, and now will be doing the same in my new 110G tank.

I use this calculator: http://calc.petalphile.com/

I put all the ferts into a 6-week pill container thing I found online, which works absolutely terrific. Check out the picture:

Original thread: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...42&postcount=9
l8nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:29 AM   #5
lamiskool
Wannabe Guru

I just ordered and got some dry fertilizer and am a bit confused and dont want to fertilize my tank untill I know what im doing and its safe. I ordered Plantex CSM+B, Potassium Nitrate, Potassium Sulfate(do I even need this...i just did some more reading and people say you dont need it?) and Mono Potassium Phosphate from Green Leaf Aquarium. I have a 55gal tank and Yet Another Nutrient Calculator says to dry dose 1.594 g Plantex CSM+B, 2.546 g KNO3, 3.48 g K2SO4, and 387 mg KH2PO4 2-4 times a week. I plan on dosing 3 times per week. What I need help with is first do you just use a scale weigh it out and dump the amount strait in the tank? Secondly do i even need Potassium Sulfate and do I need any other nutrients for the tank? My water is fairly/very hard so I do not believe I need a GH booster. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:10 AM   #6
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamiskool View Post
What I need help with is first do you just use a scale weigh it out and dump the amount strait in the tank?
Yes, you can do it this way. Some people like dosing dry, while others like dosing wet (as a solution).

How you choose to do it is up to you, and does not matter to the plants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamiskool View Post
Secondly do i even need Potassium Sulfate and do I need any other nutrients for the tank? My water is fairly/very hard so I do not believe I need a GH booster. Thanks for the help.
It depends on your water chemistry; if it is fairly hard, then you may not need the GH booster.

The potassium sulfate is part of the GH booster, but since you bought it separately, you can still use it (i.e. if you are noticing potassium deficiencies). For now, I would just stick with what you have, and following a dosing regimen (such as EI or PPS-Pro).

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote